• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiels and GCCs...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amberry

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amber
I have fallen in love with two baby GCC sisters but I have held off adopting them as I'm worried about my tiels (who are the very spoiled apples of my eyes!)I know a lot of people own both species so I guess I am wondering what life is like having both species?They would not be in the same cage or anything obviously but I've read that play time can be dangerous if they are all out together?My heart just melts for these little girls! I have been watching the ad online since they were weaned and they are 13 weeks old in a couple of days and have been the last two of their clutch for a few weeks now :(I feel as though it was a sign that they should call our house home but I worry we may be biting off more than we can chew having two tiels and 2 conures... Any experiences shared or advice is GREATLY appreciated!Sorry I'm typing on my phone at work so I appologise for any spelling errors and for this post having no flow! Haha.Thanks :)

Julsiebean

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Julie
GCCs are a lot more scrappy then most tiels, so heavily supervised play time would be a must. I had a jenday that was peas and carrots with my tiels. As love as you can provide proper supervision and seperation I don't think it would be a problem?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My 2 GCCs don’t like my Cockatiels AT ALL. They have separate out of cage times, and one of them is super bird aggressive.

Could you manage having 4 birds mentally, emotionally, and financially? Also being prepared that they are probably going to need separate out of cage times, giving them one-on-one time, etc.

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
My GCC and tiel get along just fine. They didn't at first, but now that they're used to each other, they hang out together with minimal supervision. Occasionally, the GCC will nip, but it's a GCC, what do you expect? I've caught them grooming each other, so apparently, they don't mind each other that much.

Amberry

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amber
Financially prepared yes, emotionally... it's hard to say as I do fret about upsetting my tiels... I worry about how it would effect them. Mentally prepared? That would be the hardest part I think! I consider myself an extrememely responsible pet owner and my birds needs come before my own, but balancing all four of their emotional, mental and physical needs would always come first and it could perhaps be a little 'too much'.Thank you for giving me something more to think about :)It's hard when you fall for them and you want to take them all home, but you need to step back and look at it from the outside.

LittleGems

Rollerblading along the road
It really could go either way. My current GCC both despise cockatiels (actually they hate all non-pyrrhura birds)...but years ago I had a male tiel and a presumed-male GCC that were great buddies, they even shared a cage for about 6 months! I would expect though that when you have pairs, they are often less likely to get along with other very different species

Status
Not open for further replies.