• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tick Removal?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Has anyone had to deal with tick removal in their yards? :depressed:

We keep our grass mowed and yard cleaned up so I don't know if they are just hatching for the year or if they are blowing in. We have now found several in or on our house and one of the cats had one today. Hubby is a bit :rnfrt: about these creepy crawlies so I want them gone or he will never mow again. :rofl: We will be calling a pest control company most likely for professional control and this scares me. Should I take Jenks and Toot somewhere? I'll talk to the company about my concerns as well but wondered if anyone has had to deal with this before.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
You can buy a granual treatment at Lowe's or Home Depot and spread that. It works for ants too.

We treat our yard, I never put any preventive on the dogs (I don't believe in adding poison to their skin) or injesting it either with those pills.

We treat the yard, never see ticks or fleas on my dogs ever. Then again they are never outside long aside from doing their biz.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You can buy a granual treatment at Lowe's or Home Depot and spread that. It works for ants too.

We treat our yard, I never put any preventive on the dogs (I don't believe in adding poison to their skin) or injesting it either with those pills.

We treat the yard, never see ticks or fleas on my dogs ever. Then again they are never outside long aside from doing their biz.
I have a large bag of some kind spread. But when I got to reading it, it kills some beneficial insects too so there it still sits in the shop. What brand is it that you use?

It is crazy that we have already found 4 in one day. We are the only ones that go outside, we don't even let the cats out. The one in the picture was just hanging out on our front screen door.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You can get a possum. :D They eat something like 5000 ticks a season.
We actually do have a resident possum that runs around. Scared the pants off my hubby when he took out the garbage one night. It was colder out and he was just keeping warm between our garbage can and the house. :rofl: May he set forth and multiply, I love possums! :xflove:

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I also have ticks in the yard. Between the cats, birds, dogs, and edible garden - I haven't found something I am comfortable using in the yard.

I wish I had more space - poultry would work great.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
That might be permethrin - great against ticks, deadly to cats.
My kitties don't go out but I know we have strays around. I don't want to kill anything if I can help it. Even for the moles and voles we just put down repellent and not the kill tabs.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I also have ticks in the yard. Between the cats, birds, dogs, and edible garden - I haven't found something I am comfortable using in the yard.

I wish I had more space - poultry would work great.
I think this will be my problem as well. :( and I have thought about chickens also. Still debating on if we want to get into that or not.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If you don't want to treat your yard, how about treating clothing so DH can mow?
I treat a set of clothing (shoes, socks, pants, tshirt, longsleeved shirt, hat) and only wear it outside to work, I don't wash it every time but the treatment lasts weeks and thru several washings.
I know it works as at one of my old field sites I was walking behind someone who had a single-file parade of ticks going up his pants leg but I came away with nothing.
Amazon sells Sawyer brand of spray permethrin for clothing, and a bottle does several treatments.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
We actually do have a resident possum that runs around. Scared the pants off my hubby when he took out the garbage one night. It was colder out and he was just keeping warm between our garbage can and the house. :rofl: May he set forth and multiply, I love possums! :xflove:
Tell your possum he's a slacker and to get to work. ;) I have a possum. I actually think she is the off spring of my first possum. Possum number one would hang out on the porch, and even rub noses with my feral cats. (At the time, I told the cats that they were slackers.) He/she was pretty sweet and I could sit on the porch with him and the cats. Now I have the mini-demon possum. I thought she was a baby- and I guess at some point she was, LOL- but she doesn't grow. She's like less than half the size of a full grown possum and her eyes look possessed. I used to be afraid of her but now we have developed- I don't want to say a friendship but a civil relationship where we keep a respectful distance from each other. The cats aren't her buddies like with the first one but they don't chase her off the porch either (see the cats are kind of useless ;)). But I figure it's actually good to have her around. So, she's just another part of my weird animal menagerie.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If you don't want to treat your yard, how about treating clothing so DH can mow?
I treat a set of clothing (shoes, socks, pants, tshirt, longsleeved shirt, hat) and only wear it outside to work, I don't wash it every time but the treatment lasts weeks and thru several washings.
I know it works as at one of my old field sites I was walking behind someone who had a single-file parade of ticks going up his pants leg but I came away with nothing.
Amazon sells Sawyer brand of spray permethrin for clothing, and a bottle does several treatments.
I will for sure grab some of that for him to use. Thank you!! :heart: I also just bought him the bagger for our mower so he won’t get covered in grass any more. Hopefully that will help as well!

Tell your possum he's a slacker and to get to work. ;) I have a possum. I actually think she is the off spring of my first possum. Possum number one would hang out on the porch, and even rub noses with my feral cats. (At the time, I told the cats that they were slackers.) He/she was pretty sweet and I could sit on the porch with him and the cats. Now I have the mini-demon possum. I thought she was a baby- and I guess at some point she was, LOL- but she doesn't grow. She's like less than half the size of a full grown possum and her eyes look possessed. I used to be afraid of her but now we have developed- I don't want to say a friendship but a civil relationship where we keep a respectful distance from each other. The cats aren't her buddies like with the first one but they don't chase her off the porch either (see the cats are kind of useless ;)). But I figure it's actually good to have her around. So, she's just another part of my weird animal menagerie.
Yes he so needs to get to work! :whip2: :lol:We haven’t seen him in a while so I hope he is still hanging around. We now have plenty for him to eat!! I would love to have a few hang around like yours do!!! I am sure our cats would just stare out the window at them like they do the resident squirrel. We get all kinds of critters passing through or hanging in the fields. I enjoy most of the wild life even the snakes.:snake: