• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Throwing water and food bowls Solutions?

Tobybird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sherri
Recently got a larger cage for my parrot. He has shallow metal bowls in the side accessible doors. He has learned to get the bowls out and toss his food and water. Any suggestions how to clamp them down. I have bought twist and lock bowls and applied to his main doors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How is he flipping them? If its from underneath you can use a platform perch to block access. If it's from the rim, that's harder :lol:

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I must admit that every time I read about the bigger birds tossing their food dishes I got big laugh and thought my little budgies will never do that. HUH!!! Their food dishes sit in a metal ring attached to the cage. Tweetie started picking up the bowl and dropping it back in the ring. I think he liked the sound. He'd grab the bowl rim, pull it towards him and then start lifting and dropping it. And then I thought that he'd never clear the ring. Next day he did, bang onto the bottom of the cage it went. And then he had the nerve to look at it like "what happened - did my food dish come alive and jump to the bottom of the cage?" He was doing it to a couple of the bowls. I got a rock and put it in each bowl. He could pick it up a little bit and drop it back in the ring. I guess that was too much work for him so he stopped. I removed the rock and he seems to have lost interest. Putting a rock in the bowl may not work for the larger parrots. Tweetie new toy Jun 24.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For Ripley's playstand I was able to find Ceramic bowls that fit perfectly and are too heavy to dump.

He likes to dump his water on my rats' heads as they go under his cage, and dump out the Pellet of the Month that I'm trying to switch him to :lol:

Never have to wonder what's on his mind :rofl:

Tobybird

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sherri
How is he flipping them? If its from underneath you can use a platform perch to block access. If it's from the rim, that's harder :lol:
From the rim. His old cage had the ceramic bowls but they won’t fit in this one.

clarousel

I must admit that every time I read about the bigger birds tossing their food dishes I got big laugh and thought my little budgies will never do that. HUH!!! Their food dishes sit in a metal ring attached to the cage. Tweetie started picking up the bowl and dropping it back in the ring. I think he liked the sound. He'd grab the bowl rim, pull it towards him and then start lifting and dropping it. And then I thought that he'd never clear the ring. Next day he did, bang onto the bottom of the cage it went. And then he had the nerve to look at it like "what happened - did my food dish come alive and jump to the bottom of the cage?" He was doing it to a couple of the bowls. I got a rock and put it in each bowl. He could pick it up a little bit and drop it back in the ring. I guess that was too much work for him so he stopped. I removed the rock and he seems to have lost interest. Putting a rock in the bowl may not work for the larger parrots. View attachment 345074
Preeno does this when he's annoyed about being back in the cage I think. I placed him in the travel cage to bring him out for sun and he was busy doing the same even though it wasn't on the rim!

Could you possible weigh it down? I sort of use the mineral block to block it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt had the biggest fullest water bowl this morning and decided to dump it everywhere then with about a quarter of the water that was left in the bowl he poured it so it went outside his cage..... then he decorated the wet floor with pellets :laugh: He has not done this for a while and I was busy when he dump[ed everything so by the time I was ready to go in and clean up I had swollen mushy pellets everywhere. He then threw the next bowl of water at me while I was cleaning up the previous mess- BRAT!

I just kind of expect either a mess or something to get broken now so I am never disappointed :roflmao:

clarousel

Burt had the biggest fullest water bowl this morning and decided to dump it everywhere then with about a quarter of the water that was left in the bowl he poured it so it went outside his cage..... then he decorated the wet floor with pellets :laugh: He has not done this for a while and I was busy when he dump[ed everything so by the time I was ready to go in and clean up I had swollen mushy pellets everywhere. He then threw the next bowl of water at me while I was cleaning up the previous mess- BRAT!

I just kind of expect either a mess or something to get broken now so I am never disappointed :roflmao:
Does he do this out of amusement? :roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Does he do this out of amusement? :roflmao:
Yep, I am pretty sure he does. He also throws blocks and other stuff at me while I am cleaning his cage and I am pretty sure this is another form of his personal amusement :laugh:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Tweetie started picking up the bowl and dropping it back in the ring. I think he liked the sound. He'd grab the bowl rim, pull it towards him and then start lifting and dropping it.
Kiwi recently started doing this, it's the loudest noise he can make using objects in the cage :roflmao:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Are we allowed to post a link to a product? I use this for Paco's water bowl. Discounted Bird Bowl

I prefer the stainless steel bowls and bought this one for his seed, it fits in so snug that water will splash out of it.

Last edited:

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
ALL NOW IN STOCK FOR $10.99 @ Bowls, Cups, and Crocks

10 oz Round

5 oz D-Shaped

7 oz Corner Cup

20 oz (not In&Out)

I recently saw these bowls and thought they might be good if Tweetie starts picking up his bowls again Also the small D cup looks perfect for treats for my guys - I'm thinking stuff like sweet potato mash.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Kiwi recently started doing this, it's the loudest noise he can make using objects in the cage :roflmao:
Ella LOVES slamming her food dish, usually when she’s another about some tiny
Editing to add that at the sanctuary I volunteer at we use screw-in bowls for birds that like to flip theirs

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
For Ripley's playstand I was able to find Ceramic bowls that fit perfectly and are too heavy to dump.

He likes to dump his water on my rats' heads as they go under his cage, and dump out the Pellet of the Month that I'm trying to switch him to :lol:

Never have to wonder what's on his mind :rofl:
That is the strategy that I use for Louise. It works if the bowls are tight other wise she throws the ceramic bowl then the stainless steel bowl. I think she likes the loud noise and the challenge...