• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Throwing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
My Zoe has been totally normal today but just like two minutes ago started bobbing her head and throwing up pinkish glop with seed in it! Is this throwing up or that thing that some mature birds do to feed their mate? Please help! I am scared that there may be something wrong with her!

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Anyone... :sad5: I'm like freaking out... Could it just be something she ate? What should I look out for? Please help and/or reassure me! I need a hug...

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Someone who can help will be along quickly!
I dont have an idea though :(
Be calm!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
When they regurgitate they do a head bobbing and neck stretching type of movement and regurgitate on something/someone.

Vomiting is usually a rapid head flick and the 'food' goes everywhere and sometimes their face will be all sticky - the food will also be all glumpy and sticky.

What did she eat, is she drinking, what's her poop like? it could possibly be something she's eaten that hasn't gone down well, but if she's showing any other signs of illness like: fluffing up, sleeping more than usual, not active, abnormal poop and etc, then it's probably best to take her to see an Avian Vet.

Keep us updated, hope she'll be okay.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
She keeps bobbing a lot and globs of seed and glop go everwhere...! She is acting totally normal and being crazy (if not crazier). She is now drinking a lot of water and she's been pooping normally with normal colors, ect.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Is she still vomiting or did she just do it once? What was she doing before? If you were snuggling and petting her she could be regurging but if she was alone it is probably vomiting.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
She vomitted 4 times consecutively and then after 5 minutes did it a bunch more...

Now she is drinking her water and eating so maybe she just ate something funny earlier?

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
When a parrot regurgitates, they "work" at it, so to speak. So they will bob there head and actually encourage the food to come up....with vomiting, it is involuntary. The food passively comes out of their mouth. From what you are describing, it sounds like regurgitation. But if you are really worried, it never hurts to videotape the action and ask your veterinarian to look at it (or you could post the video here for our opinions).

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Hey, thanks for all of you talking me through this! She is now just acting normal (but tired although she's been running around all day and it is after 10 pm here) and eating and drinking. If she starts again, I will be sure to video it for you.

platinum

Real Name
Sharon
This definitely sounds like how I would describe Rain's regurgitation, so it's probably nothing to worry about. When she starts head bobbing, we interrupt the behavior with something "fun".

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
It concerns me that she did it so much. She might have just been in a really nesty mood so I'd keep an eye on her and see how she's acting in the morning. If she regurgitates/vomits any more I would bring her into the vet ASAP.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
She just turned 1 in March... Does it seem too early for her to be mature enough to be doing this?

She just started vomitting again but just stopped after 3 times... except not much is coming up anymore... She doesn't have much food left in her probably... Well, I taped the motion she does but she tries to not let the vomit come out.

I am uploading to YouTube as we speak. She also just stopped again so maybe I shouldn't let her pig out?

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
After watching the video, my personal opinion is that it is vomiting and NOT regurgitation! The head shake at the end is what got me. She is also kinda scratching her beak and nostrils at the end which indicates irritation.

I know the head bobbing thing is usually associated with regurgitation, but my parrots have done that motion in the past when they have vomited.

Also, with regurgitation the food should be brought up and deposited in globs on you/an object. With vomiting they flick their heads so that the seeds spray everywhere. It looks like this is happening. :(

I would get her to the avian vet. It is strange that she is doing it so often and so suddenly.

Good luck! Please keep us updated!

Last edited:

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
Thanks and yeah I will call the vet when they open tomorrow... She is fine until she eats after vomitting; then she starts again... if she doesn't eat then she is normal & ok.

~~WINDAQUA~~

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Avery
I gave her a nutri-berry yesterday that was the same color as her vomit so maybe it was too old and didn't sit well...?

She has been totally fine now for a good 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.