• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Three Months, No Luck

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
I've been having dreams about being able to hold and cuddle with my tiel Daisy (for like two nights haha) - but even after three months she's still afraid of me and won't let me touch her :unsure1:

I got Daisy from a pet store, so most likely she didn't have much human interaction, and I understand that it does take time. Now that I have a job, I don't spend a lot of time with her anymore. I'm tired when I get back home so all I do is whistle to her. During the weekends, I place her near my space so she can see me, and I call out her name and whistle to her from time to time. She still accepts seeds and millet from my hand though, sometimes.

Having birds as pets and companions isn't really common in my country, so stores here don't have a lot of stuff for them. My friend was finally able to get me a bendable rope perch in the states, so I'm hoping she can get out of her cage. I think she's too attached to it - she never comes out, and it's difficult for me since she's not even that "crazy" about millet sprays, sadly. I even tried making a homemade avi cake using the seeds and honey and flour, but she wouldn't even nibble it. My guess is that once she's out of the cage and expands her boundaries, she'd interact with me more, so I'm hoping she does get out of the cage. If that doesn't work, then I'm afraid I'd be lost, and I just need to wait again.

:sad6:I just want her to finally be comfortable with me., but I guess even after three months I still have to wait. My cage for her is a round dome cage, as most would not recommend, but I opted for it because other cages would be too small, and if I chose a bigger one she'd be placed outside and I wouldn't be able to see her as much, and vice versa. I wrap the half with cloth though and she usually retreats to the other half when scared. I'm trying my best :crycry:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not all birds like to cuddle. Sometimes the best you can hope for is for them to sit on your finger & maybe give them a scratch on the head.

If your tiel hasn't had much human interaction it will take a while but you need to go slow at her pace so
she gets more comfortable rather than forcing her & scaring her even more.

Treats are the best way to get there attention & affection.
You have to experiment & find her weakness & use that as a training reward.

Maybe even air popped corn or a puffed rice or corn cereal or piece of nut.

Three months is not very long in bird terms. They take as long as it takes & you can't rush them.

Relax & talk to her & sit near her. Give her treats. She will learn you are not a danger & come to look for you to bring her goodies.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
@camelotshadow I am doing my best and waiting for her, I wouldn't want to rush her of course. As for treats, I'm a bit paranoid to experiment different foods with her since it seems that a lot aren't allowed for tiels; Even my cereal has sugar. Thank you for your encouragement!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cheerios has less sugar & are usually OK as treats. You can't give most cereals as they are hi in sugar & have too many vitamins. Kasha makes a 7 grain all puffed cereal with no sugar if you can find that & she likes it. Popcorn if no oil or salt is fine. You have to check some things out & experiment.
My Rio will not eat a cheerio but I have seen many breeders use them when weaning & a lot of birds like them. Tiels like veggies. Try offering them as part of the diet. Even half a chile with seeds or broccoli.
Keep trying all the veggies as they are good for them.

Research the tiel section & Nutrition sections as they have tons of info/