• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on Bird Psychology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
I wrote this article a few years ago, and wanted to share it with all of you. AR

My Thoughts on Bird Psychology

As of late, I’m reading lots of posts regarding frustration with new parrots. I do NOT want to come across as a know it all. I am by far not a Parrot expert, especially in regards to the physical aspects, but I do have a very good grasp on the Psychology of parrots.

Why…

1) I have done allot of research
2) I was a Psychology major in college
3) I did Animal Rescue for years in GA.

Not only does my family call me the Bird Whisperer, but I have had pet stores call me the same. ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, that’s what it’s all about.

Let’s look at a few facts.

1) Parrots…are NOT domesticated
2) Parrots are Prey
3) We have to earn the trust of our Parrot.

Example, you come home from work, and your pet dog sees that you are all upset, it comes and puts its head in your lap, and lovingly gazes at you. (Lassie at her finest). A dog is a domesticated animal that is on the same level as humans. We are the predator, and so is the dog. The dog feels your emotional stress, and wants to help you.

Your Parrot on the other hand, picks up this same stress level, and bites you! Why you ask yourself, the Parrot is the prey. It feels the stress but it feels threatened by the stress.

NO one can instill an attitude into another human being. But when dealing with Parrots in general, you have to be calm & gentle. Especially a baby Parrot, of any species.

Think about the puppy or kitten that comes home, and automatically feels as one of the family. I believe that allot of Parrot owners are looking for that same attitude out of their baby Parrot.

UNLESS…the breeder already started that process it is NOT going to be the same. And even if the Breeder did start the process, the baby will regress the minute it comes home with you. Not your fault, just a fact of life. The “PREY mode” kicks in, automatically!

In the wild, Parrots have to be on the lookout for danger 24x7. As humans we are one of their dangers. Thus trust issues. In dealing with our new babies, we have to be calm, calm, calm!
I want so very much to help all of you that are experiencing frustrations with your new babies.

How this attitude came about…WHO knows, I suspect God gave me the gift. I have never been afraid of animals in general. I was the kid who would walk up to a Police Dog (Sheppard) and make friends, when all the other kids were scared to death.

All animals have the ability to pick up on our emotions. Unfortunately when dealing with Parrots, there is the added problem of trust due to the fact that they are NOT domesticated and they ARE the Prey.

Another issue is the biting. What is a bite, and what is a nibble, out of pure curiosity! Parrots use their beaks for everything, and they have to taste everything. All you have to do is watch a Parrot, any species, in its cage, and that beak is on everything in there. They use it like a hand.

So…when we are holding them, cuddling them why would it be any different! Knowing the difference between a bite, and a normal Parrot Nibble, is very important. Once you know that difference, then it will be much easier to re direct when the Nibble gets to rough! And if you know the difference between a bite & a nibble, then Your Fear Factor will go away!

And never, ever, ever can you punish a Parrot of any species! Parrots do NOT respond to punishment or scolding. There is a HUGE difference in being assertive with your parrot, and being aggressive, and your parrot feels the difference as well.

Time & Patience are the keys to being a successful Parrot owner. Read their body language, and remember, humans are NOT in a good mood every day of their lives, nor will our parrots. They too can have bad/good days!

My heart goes out to all of you who are experiencing frustrations with your NEW parrots. But honestly, I believe you need to take a step back, and ask yourself….Did I get a bad parrot, or….did I get a normal parrot, and I’m not honestly keeping my emotions Calm & Gentle.

I didn’t mean to write a Book here, but I do hope that my thoughts will help some of the new parrot owners, and their new babies,

Last edited:

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with a lot of what you are saying but have to say I disagree that a parrot's behavior is based on the fact they are prey animals. Being "prey" has very little to do with their behavior in my opinion. Mostly their negative behavior stems from the fact that we are misunderstanding them. Susan Friedman's ABC's are a great learning tool for helping us understand their individuals needs and why they react the way they do. I agree that parrots do feel our emotions but every parrot will not react the same way because of them. To use your example concerning stress, my grey becomes more loving when I'm stressed and she realizes that I need a hug. Her reaction is never to bite me because of it. If anything my birds sense my emotions and act accordingly in ways that they perceive will make me feel better with the exception of Giz. He will do the opposite but I think that's more of a defense mechanism not a prey response. When I'm angry the prey response would be to cower or move away from me not give back the same vibes he is feeling from me. I don't fear being bit by him when I'm stressed. His reaction to stress is to get louder and strut more. He might threaten but he doesn't follow through. It's my anger or my indifference that will get me bit. Neither reactions to anger or stress is what I would term a prey response.

I would say I'm either missing your point as to what you mean as to be a prey response or that our experiences have taught us to see things in a different light.

Parront

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Annrose
Shyra, You obviously have a wonderful bonding with your birds!
My article that was written years ago, is for NEW parrot owners who do not have that bond.

I myself when I was a brand new parrot owner got bitten quite badly by my Caique! I was excited (on something Good), and It scared him
and he chomped down.

I guess my point of my article is that NEW parrot owners have to build the trust and the bond that you have with yours, and that
it takes time and patience.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do think a lot of the behaviors we see are misunderstood wild behaviors, some of which being that they are prey animals. That is why they find a radio left on soothing (quiet forest to a prey animal = predator around), why you shouldn't stare directly at a new bird ("hunting" gaze), etc. But I do not think everything is associated with prey status. Their "screams" for instance are a flock behavior, not necessarily a prey behavior.

They can definitely sense emotion very well, but as Shyra pointed out, its not easy to gauge the response. Jingo screams incessantly if I am in a bad mood, but Koopa cuddles with me.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
“I disagree that a parrot's behavior is based on the fact they are prey animals. Being "prey" has very little to do with their behavior in my opinion.“

When we talk about ABA, positive reinforcement, operant conditioning, or ABC’s of behavior, what we are really talking about is “learning.” Learned behaviors are only one category or part of animal behavior as a whole. Intelligent animals can learn amazing things but when deprived of their genetic needs they can still suffer. Think of the captive marine mammals at SeaWorld or how often Parrots pluck, exhibit stereotypical motions, or self mutilate, etc.

Whether an animal is a predator, prey, flock, pack, or herd, etc. will determine much of how it reacts to different stimuli in it’s captive environment, it’s needs in terms of captive welfare, and the relationship we can have with it, etc. Zoo’s recognize that Tigers have to chase and rip things apart. Some zoos have programs where (as a special event) they will throw them an animal carcass and let them tear into it to feed. It’s a part of their enrichment. Other zoos realized that allowing Gorillas to forage by tossing their food all over the place and hiding it was a lot more stimulating for them than placing it in a bowl each day (which gave them nothing to do and left them bored for most of the day). An owners’ role with his dog can either be that of an alpha, or father dog, depending on how the dog sees it. That’s because wolves live in families where the parents are respected, and unrelated dogs or wolves placed together without a leader may fight until a social order and a leader finally emerges.

Horses, as herd and prey animals, can be very phobic in captivity and even fixate onto seemingly meaningless objects and panic. Parrot’s are not unlike this. African grays are known to be fine tuned to threats in their environment. In our homes they can become phobic over newly introduced objects, feel as though the flight reflex is suppressed, and even fear a particular article of it’s owner’s clothing. Remember, many parrots live in the forest canopy and (even higher) the emergent layer of the rainforest. They are cautious about coming to the ground. In captivity not only do we bring them down to earth but we cage them and introduce the myriad of variable disturbances in the average human home. Loud music, pestering children, teenagers, smells, and a million other things that can startle them.

I can’t recommend Temple Grandin’s books enough when it comes to these types of subjects.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wrote this article a few years ago, and wanted to share it with all of you. AR

My Thoughts on Bird Psychology

As of late, I’m reading lots of posts regarding frustration with new parrots. I do NOT want to come across as a know it all. I am by far not a Parrot expert, especially in regards to the physical aspects, but I do have a very good grasp on the Psychology of parrots.

Why…

1) I have done allot of research
2) I was a Psychology major in college
3) I did Animal Rescue for years in GA.

Not only does my family call me the Bird Whisperer, but I have had pet stores call me the same. ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, that’s what it’s all about.

Let’s look at a few facts.

1) Parrots…are NOT domesticated
2) Parrots are Prey
3) We have to earn the trust of our Parrot.

Example, you come home from work, and your pet dog sees that you are all upset, it comes and puts its head in your lap, and lovingly gazes at you. (Lassie at her finest). A dog is a domesticated animal that is on the same level as humans. We are the predator, and so is the dog. The dog feels your emotional stress, and wants to help you.

Your Parrot on the other hand, picks up this same stress level, and bites you! Why you ask yourself, the Parrot is the prey. It feels the stress but it feels threatened by the stress.

NO one can instill an attitude into another human being. But when dealing with Parrots in general, you have to be calm & gentle. Especially a baby Parrot, of any species.

Think about the puppy or kitten that comes home, and automatically feels as one of the family. I believe that allot of Parrot owners are looking for that same attitude out of their baby Parrot.

UNLESS…the breeder already started that process it is NOT going to be the same. And even if the Breeder did start the process, the baby will regress the minute it comes home with you. Not your fault, just a fact of life. The “PREY mode” kicks in, automatically!

In the wild, Parrots have to be on the lookout for danger 24x7. As humans we are one of their dangers. Thus trust issues. In dealing with our new babies, we have to be calm, calm, calm!
I want so very much to help all of you that are experiencing frustrations with your new babies.

How this attitude came about…WHO knows, I suspect God gave me the gift. I have never been afraid of animals in general. I was the kid who would walk up to a Police Dog (Sheppard) and make friends, when all the other kids were scared to death.

All animals have the ability to pick up on our emotions. Unfortunately when dealing with Parrots, there is the added problem of trust due to the fact that they are NOT domesticated and they ARE the Prey.

Another issue is the biting. What is a bite, and what is a nibble, out of pure curiosity! Parrots use their beaks for everything, and they have to taste everything. All you have to do is watch a Parrot, any species, in its cage, and that beak is on everything in there. They use it like a hand.

So…when we are holding them, cuddling them why would it be any different! Knowing the difference between a bite, and a normal Parrot Nibble, is very important. Once you know that difference, then it will be much easier to re direct when the Nibble gets to rough! And if you know the difference between a bite & a nibble, then Your Fear Factor will go away!

And never, ever, ever can you punish a Parrot of any species! Parrots do NOT respond to punishment or scolding. There is a HUGE difference in being assertive with your parrot, and being aggressive, and your parrot feels the difference as well.

Time & Patience are the keys to being a successful Parrot owner. Read their body language, and remember, humans are NOT in a good mood every day of their lives, nor will our parrots. They too can have bad/good days!

My heart goes out to all of you who are experiencing frustrations with your NEW parrots. But honestly, I believe you need to take a step back, and ask yourself….Did I get a bad parrot, or….did I get a normal parrot, and I’m not honestly keeping my emotions Calm & Gentle.

I didn’t mean to write a Book here, but I do hope that my thoughts will help some of the new parrot owners, and their new babies,

Thanks for sharing the part of being calm. I am by nature a very calm person. I think alot of my success with my flock so far has had alot to do with my intentional *centered* energy when I am around them.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I think being a prey animal has a lot to do with their behavior. Predators can overtake/overcome many things. Prey animals need to be able to read the lay of the land to determine fight or flight. Some species are more alert to danger warning others in their flocks AND of other species...watch wild life videos...some species watch others to pay attention to danger. Now, what is the danger...whimpy human who I can bite or some one aggressive where I need to hide. (their interpretation). So, when one comes home from work...does that person need loving and their body language says so or is the body stressed and angry and shouts out stay away. Then the bird wants to know what's in it for them!

Have a great day reading everybody :)

Status
Not open for further replies.