• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

thought I would show you where I grew up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
bit of a disclaimer.. I didn't take a single one of these pics.
My father collected many PNG artifacts and took many photos and gave them all away after my parents divorce :(

anyway...

I had a bit of a nostalgic moment today and googled the heck out of the town in Papua New Guinea that I grew up in. A little place in the Eastern Highlands Province that will always have my heart.
Anyway I came across some very recent photos of my old town ( taken may 2009) on a personal blog. Some of the photos I requested permission to re-post too others are non copyright free photos :D

the view from mount kiss, otherwise known as Rascal hill ( thieves hill)

the airport

a sign near the market place

the market

shops on the west side of town

the estate i used to live on was owned by Mal Smith ( an ex vietnam chopper pilot and owner of pacific helicopters. He is now the most loved and hated man in PNG govt )

here is Mal Smith ( bald head in centre, one of the most important men in my life even after 15 years of not seeing him)

here is the house he built us in the estate

the Asaro river was very close to our stables. The Asaro are known cannibals for ceremonious reasons. The story is that before going to war with neighbouring villages they would use beetlenut ( a nut mixed with lime creating a very toxic drug) , cover themselves in mud and dance about. Once the neighbouring village came sooner than expected and believed them to all be ghosts of the dead and so the mud men were created.

One of the THOUSANDS of national dresses from the highlands provinces.
I havnt included many photos from here simply because they still use bird feathers and carcuses. I know that it would upset some but I think it is very important to realise that this is a country with over 800 languages and their culture is often all they have. The shiny colours in their head bands are actually beetle shells.

and before you get too bored of me and my nostalgic walk I wanted to post this last picture.

Bikpela Man ( is Pidgin for adult/old man)

This man is someone I personally knew. He would stand daily outside the hotel and walk about town dressed just as he is in this photo. He would charge tourists for photos. When my father went to town I used to duck over to the shop and buy Bikpela Man a bush cigarette ( village grown tobacco rolled in a newspaper page) and we would talk to each other until my father would come back. I highly doubt he is still around today but finding this photo brought tears to my eyes.

I pray one day I can save the money to take my husband and children to show them how other people live, to show them how i lived. To show them the most amazing paradise in the world!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:omg: Thank you so much!!!! You don't know how much I enjoyed that.:heart: I want to know more! The men with the colored faces are amazing!!! Wow..I LOVE LOVE LOVE learning about other cultures and places.
I would have to go back if I were you.:D

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
Thank you Carole :D

last time i was back there was 1993 and then prices got insane, my father wouldnt allow me to go alone and then I had a family.

I WILL take my kids when they are old enough to appreciate the fact that they will be in a third world country and respect the country and its people.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wowwwwwwwwhat a wonderful plce to grow up

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Thank you for sharing this! How interesting it must be for you to have lived in and experienced two such different worlds!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
What a wonderful thread! Since I don't get out much (now that I am bird-bound) these kind of posts are invaluable to me. :heart:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oknuma, thank you so much for sharing these pictures and information about where you grew up. I find it so fascinating to learn about other cultures and traditions.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Amazing pics! I have some friends who did missionary work in Papau. I love looking at all their pics, too!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Fantastic!! What beautiful places and faces. I hope they get to stay the way they were/are. We have forgotten so much about how we fit into the scheme of things. Even if they used bird feathers and bodies for ceremonial and sacred purposes they can't have decimated entire populations of species as we have here with our practices of extermination.

Ginger

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Even if they used bird feathers and bodies for ceremonial and sacred purposes they can't have decimated entire populations of species as we have here with our practices of extermination.

Ginger
You've got that right. :(

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, that is very interesting! It is so cool to see what different cultures/areas of the world are like! I want to see more pictures and hear more stories also, hehe!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you so much, Oknuma, for sharing a little of your heritage with us. It is truly amazing. I remember watching the program of the Asaro people on National Geographic. Truly fascinating. I hope you get to go back and show your family where you lived. What an experience that will be for them. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for sharing.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What a wonderful show of nostalgia!!! Loved the pics/and descriptions!

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma
thanks all for letting me have my trip down memory lane.

PNG is always in my heart and mind and I wish to death that my father had kept all our historical photos. Next time I see him I will grill him to see if he has kept anything at all

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Wow! What an amazing heritage. Thanks for sharing!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Ahhh, Nescafe! Makes me miss Albania. Third-world countries are very interesting. I stayed in Albania two weeks at a time (but I went three years consecutively). Even with my grand total of six weeks in there, I formed friendships and had experiences that I'll never forget.

Thank you for sharing with us. :)

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Absolutely fascinating - you are very lucky to have lived in such a paradise. Thanks for the trip.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing your pictures. They are really beautiful and very interesting.

budgielucky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cathy
Thanks for sharing with us.
My sister went to PNG a couple of years ago and took a ton of pictures. PNG is such a beautiful country. I would love to go there one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.