• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

This Can't Be Good

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
IMG_20191013_225404.jpg IMG_20191013_225428.jpg
I just got this play stand maybe 2 weeks ago and today I noticed blue dye on the paper towel beneath it. My kids have been rubbing their beaks on this thing and now I'm worried about it. I already contacted the company and I'm hoping they have a good explanation for this. It's so hard to find quality stands for small birds. I'm always so paranoid about toys and such being toxic. I wanted a natural wood stand but all the ones I found are either too big, someone has complained about some potential dangers in the reviews, like toes getting stuck, or they break the bank. *sigh* What can you do?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Any other colours leaching out like that or just the blue?
It kinda seems odd because the dye should have soaked into the wood and really should only do that if it gets wet from my experience.

@Mizzely.... any ideas?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Can you post a picture of the whole stand? I’m pretty sure I just bought the same one recently :eek:.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did the stand get wet? A dye will bleed like that when wet, where a paint won't, so that's actually a point in it's favor for safety.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a ladder with colored balls on, the dye is also washing out when I wash it but I think it is food coloring, it is nearly all gone after only a few times under the faucet. Try and rinse yours, if it is food dye it should wash out pretty fast, and taste nothing. But all the colors should wash out, not only the blue..

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I have a ladder with colored balls on, the dye is also washing out when I wash it but I think it is food coloring, it is nearly all gone after only a few times under the faucet. Try and rinse yours, if it is food dye it should wash out pretty fast, and taste nothing. But all the colors should wash out, not only the blue..
Okay so I just tried running the ladder under the tap and all of the colors did bleed. It's just weird the blue bled without being wet.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
All its going to do is give your bird colored feet, not harmful in that manner but it can make a mess on the bird and on things. You could run the ladder under water for a bit or soak it some in clear water to bleed out some of the color but it will probably mess up all the different colors.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Ok mines very similar but different.

All its going to do is give your bird colored feet, not harmful in that manner but it can make a mess on the bird and on things. You could run the ladder under water for a bit or soak it some in clear water to bleed out some of the color but it will probably mess up all the different colors.
Glad to know it’s safe.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I have a red swing which is coloured using natural dyes. You can imagine the subsequent heart attack seeing red all over their perch :scared2:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay so I just tried running the ladder under the tap and all of the colors did bleed. It's just weird the blue bled without being wet.
did you try and taste it?