• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of rehoming due to chronic egg laying

macawww

Hit the Road
My tiel keeps laying. Nothing has helped. Today I woke up to yet another egg in her cage... this one looks deformed and weak, and I'm terrified of yet another egg binding incident. She lays a full clutch every 2 months. She has cuttlebone and a medically prescribed diet but has still easily broken a leg recently. I'm not sure what else to do to help her and changing her environment completely with a new owner is the only option I haven't tried yet as much as it breaks my heart. It would at least disrupt her egg laying for a while so her poor body can recover. She comes from a lineage of backyard breeder hens... the problem seems to be genetic. 14-16 hours of darkness doesn't help, neither did 24 hours of light. She is very nesty and although she's very very affectionate it scares me to scritch her head too much in case it'll make the problem worse... I've been too so many different avian vets with her and the next step after rehoming would be Lupron. I don't trust the safety of this unless it's a last resort so unfortunately I will try to rehome her first.

Is there any good resources for rehoming tiels or organisations. I don't trust the shelter I volunteer at with her after multiple incidents recently. I would not trust them to look after her fragile health properly. I want her to go to someone with bird experience and other birds of a compatible species.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Can I ask you, when she lays eggs, are you throwing them out, or either replacing them with dummy eggs or boiling them, letting them cool, and giving them back to her...this will stop her laying more eggs.
Also, the lupron would help her if all else fails; you wouldn't have to rehome her, unless there are other reasons for you wanting to.

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Rehoming would NOT be the best option given as you said she's quite fragile health wise and it could cause her to decline given being rehomed is heavily traumatic for birds, unless you're planning on visiting her often? Have you tried moving her cage to another room if you think a change of environment would help? or changing the temp in her current room/daily schedule she has? It could have a similar effect. Have you tried leaving her with fake eggs after she lays? Or, if you free feed her, perhaps you could try setting up meal times instead as some birds view having a constant source of food as good for breeding. I'm assuming you've tried most options already but, might as well check yknow?

I'm so sorry it's come to a situation like this :( I hope whatever choice you land on helps both of you. The forum is always here to support you. <3

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Can you afford an implant?

macawww

Hit the Road
Can I ask you, when she lays eggs, are you throwing them out, or either replacing them with dummy eggs or boiling them, letting them cool, and giving them back to her...this will stop her laying more eggs.
Also, the lupron would help her if all else fails; you wouldn't have to rehome her, unless there are other reasons for you wanting to.
I own a huge variety of perfect replica cockatiel eggs for this purpose. They're even the correct weight. However when they're a bit deformed of an odd size sometimes I boil them as she's clever and will notice.

macawww

Hit the Road
Rehoming would NOT be the best option given as you said she's quite fragile health wise and it could cause her to decline given being rehomed is heavily traumatic for birds, unless you're planning on visiting her often? Have you tried moving her cage to another room if you think a change of environment would help? or changing the temp in her current room/daily schedule she has? It could have a similar effect. Have you tried leaving her with fake eggs after she lays? Or, if you free feed her, perhaps you could try setting up meal times instead as some birds view having a constant source of food as good for breeding. I'm assuming you've tried most options already but, might as well check yknow?

I'm so sorry it's come to a situation like this :( I hope whatever choice you land on helps both of you. The forum is always here to support you. <3
I've tried everything... I wouldn't be considering rehoming her if I haven't.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am not saying you should rehome but if you decide to, I have heard good things about Miss Vicki's Parrot Village in Georgia.

Did you do the increased hours of darkness for 2 weeks?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They can give calcium in liquid form to help her. I agree it's a bit risky but they actually just lightly sedated Giggie and then did a local numbing injection to put the implant in. Sometimes the risk is worth the life saving option.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
They can give calcium in liquid form to help her. I agree it's a bit risky but they actually just lightly sedated Giggie and then did a local numbing injection to put the implant in. Sometimes the risk is worth the life saving option.
Yes prescription calcium supplements if she has broken legs abd has weak shells on eggs. It often takes prescription and guidance from vet, not just getting something yourself over the counter.

Rehomiing onky helps you not to have to deal with this, its very doubtful it would have any benefit for her.

YoloX

Moving in
Papayago Rescue House in Marietta,GA, might be able to help.

macawww

Hit the Road
Yes prescription calcium supplements if she has broken legs abd has weak shells on eggs. It often takes prescription and guidance from vet, not just getting something yourself over the counter.

Rehomiing onky helps you not to have to deal with this, its very doubtful it would have any benefit for her.
She has a diet with extra calcium but I will definitely look into prescription as well!

Tapew0rrm

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Camille
Small update... I was upset yesterday but have renewed strength. Going to look into an implant I think

It's totally okay, I'm one who can completely understand how you feel. It might be hard, but I'm sure you have what it takes to keep her safe and happy. <3 I believe in you!!! Please keep us updated on how things go! :)

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Hi I was wondering if you have any updates on how she's doing? I just found this and my bird used to lay eggs like this but the extra hours of darkness and the fake eggs helped her

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I don't have experience with chronic egg laying, but members here have had success with lupron for their birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi I was wondering if you have any updates on how she's doing? I just found this and my bird used to lay eggs like this but the extra hours of darkness and the fake eggs helped her
The OP is no longer an active member so you will not get an update on this particular bird and its situation.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
What about changing up her environment (not rehoming) but moving her or taking her outside?

I give crushed egg shells to all my birds (I boil the egg shells then dry them out in the oven and grind them in my coffee grinder turning the shells into powder). The egg shells has all the vitamins and minerals needed for the bird to absorb the calcium where it is needed. A well known bird rescue told me about this when I had egg binding in my button quail. Wishing you luck!
Ps. If you would like I can pm you the recurs contact information