• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking of getting a baby.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
next week end I'm going out to my breeders aviary and I'm going to take a look at her baby Yellow Sided Conures. I know I'm totally nuts since I just got Aros less than two months ago. However with the parakeets finding new homes (a story for another thread... but the punch line is they attacked eachother and I cant have four separate single bird cages and one large cage) I will have an empty cage big enough for a conure of some kind. I'm really excited and wondered if anyone could offer some helpful advice about raising baby (weened) conures, and what to expect.

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
Well "yellow sided conures" are actually GCCs but are a color mutation. So, they will be just like a GCC. ;) I still have no idea why some people think they are another species...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I do not know anything but wish you luck thanks for sharing

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
AJ is right, YS's are just GCCs! I see people thinking they're a different species all the time!

Is Aros a baby? Just do the same thing you're doing with him for the YS.

By the way i LOVE LOVE LOVE YS GCC's! I'm not biased or anything, but they are GORGEOUS. please share pics when you bring the baby home! hehe

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I know that they are a mutation of the GCC. However to me every mutation even a color mutation has its behavioral differences. For instance. It is in my experience that Pearl Tiels are easier to tame for some reason; and pastel colored parakeets are more flighty than main stream split colored parakeets. And Aros is a butthead who wont even bite me while he has no problem biting my father... though that has nothing to do with mutation. though I sometimes wish it did.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
hmm.. i honestly don't think that different color mutations have different personalities.. but thats interesting.

TwilightsImprint

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Erica
I may have just been running into the same kind of birds but working at a rescue my main job is to tame down the "untamable" small parrots. So maybe its just a coincidence but i like to think it isn't

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I may have just been running into the same kind of birds but working at a rescue my main job is to tame down the "untamable" small parrots. So maybe its just a coincidence but i like to think it isn't

Why not adopt from the rescue? I know sweet babies are great..even though you would have to pay ME to take one. But providing a home for a bird in need would be the first place I looked into. Just a suggestion.

I love the older birds. I know a hand raised baby is never the same, but the older birds in need seem to really pull at my heart strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.