• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Thinking about this little guy

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
So, I've got half an eyeball on this Quaker I found on Craigslist. I asked some questions and the owner said he is DNA'd male, he says his name (Louis), is learning how to go on the hand instead of the shoulder, and that's about it. I wrote back and asked his age and haven't heard back yet. I'm 46 so that's something I have to keep in mind. I'm not necessarily in the market for a very young one. My hesitation is that I wonder if Duckie would become friends better with a Green Cheek. Then again, it took him years to bond with Paloma. Duckie can be a bit of a bully and luckily Paloma ignored his rudeness and taught him what a healthy, well-adjusted Green Cheek should look like. I doubt I'll find another like Paloma, so I'm thinking of broadening our horizons, but I'm not sure...THoughts?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is tailor made for @Pixiebeak lol. Let me also tag @Mizzely she had a Quaker and a Greenie that could go exist.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It says in the listing that he is 1 year old. I'm afraid I know nothing about Quakers....

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Well, even though I missed his age here, it may still apply as I'm going to be visiting the parrot rescue near me sometime after the 20th and she said they have Quakers, so I guess I'll still be wondering about other species...

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
He looks older than a year , but doesn't matter really, because most don't live past mid 20s. If they have the DNA certificate it should have the age they " told" them when tested . Bands will sometimes have the year hatched on them.

@April I'm the worst enabler!!! And totally love quakers , I want them all!!! :roflmao: :D :wacky:

@orphansparrow I take anything told by rehomers with a grain of salt, I'm happy to get all the info they will share , especially about favorite foods, routines, likes and dislikes.
700. Is s little high even with cage unless a really nice cage, I'd offer 500- 600, but it's also fair enough, as pet stores over a 1000 for green here, close to 2,000 - to even 3,000 for blue , used cages I can get for 100-200. New cages are expensive unless good shopping.

Ok , most quakers, ( not all) are given up because of their tendency to vocalize and or scream a lot . But so do most you get from a breeder and start fresh too. They like to make noise , as a communal species that evolved to live in large rowdy flocks .
Mine are always making some little noises that are easy and pleasent enough chatter , they purr when happy , make blurbs, brrr and such noises . Or they are doing some loud screeching screaming... especially hormonal season. Especially if stuck in cage and you are home , and they are bored . I took in screaming birds on purpose lol, so while I got that under control, they learned from first and second, and the second Phoebe would really like to still be a happy screaming birdie ... they are not so loud neighbors will complain if you live in a house, but they are loud enough to drown out tv and phone conversation, if/when yours is being loud.

Nearly all are cafe protective as adults.

Good stuff, highly social, pretty tolerant of any other species with good introduction and time no rushing. Really only birds that have lived alone a long time and forgot how to be a bird have a harder time. Penny has been alone for near 20 years, other birds freaked her out at first she was fearful tho not aggressive. But of course they can be like any bird, but it's not their baseline go to as a species generalization.

Your GCC is likely to be the aggressor. Mine is. But if provoked enough, they are stronger and bigger and can do damage. But my money is on the gcc, most quakers just don't have the attitude to fight. They enjoy a squabble or little bullying more for the fun of a reaction. And they will try to bully you to, to see what they can get away with. But more of siblings on a long car trip, poke, poke , or college kid pranks. Mine are very beak communication, grab, bonk , push , scrape, pick , preen , but oh so careful to never cross the line once they learned beak pressure limits ...but man they know how to get as close as possible! Totally will tear me apart if I put hand in cage tho!

They are smart, they like to be active, most will learn a few words. Mine are not big talkers tho, just a few words. Most will not do well caged a majority of the time. They are too highly social, active and smart for that. Which because of their size and how they look doesn't get respected. My GCCs all did/do much better with a working person. But @Parutti is a working mom, so she should weigh in!

As allo preener highly complex social bird, most do enjoy cuddle hanging out and scritch once you have their trust. In fact mine really need it .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Pixiebeak Wow! It’s so completely different than a Green Cheek! Duckies scream sounds like a high pitched “squeeee” that he lets out one or two times, or if he’s upset by/scared of something, the squee can be patterned like a car alarm. Your guys sound like a flock of squeaky, deranged seagulls. Lol!

I’m gonna hold off on this guy until after the 20th. Then I’ll meet the ones at the rescue and see. And if nobirdy there feels like a good fit, I’ll meet him. I’m just more interested in an older bird. But I hear you. They may not know how old he is. He sure is cute though :swoon:

Last edited:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Deranged seagulls hahahahahahaha!!!

I think any Quaker would be really lucky to be in your home, @orphansparrow !

When people in my social circle meet Opie and ask about having a Quaker, I always say that my personal opinion is that Quaker's social/emotional/mental needs are on par with cockatoos. I also would not be ok with my Quaker being an only bird, especially since I do work full time.

That said, I do think it's totally possible to provide an environment for them that meets their social/mental stimulation needs. From what I've observed and talked to other local Quaker owners, they seem to pretty easily befriend birds of other species. When I first got Opie (he was also a Craigslist guy!), I had Cotton, an African ringneck, and was fostering 3 birds: a cockatiel, a Senegal, and a Nanday conure. Opie of course picked up the (very loud) Nanday's call immediately :roflmao:

My observation of Opie (he turned 1 last June) is that he is making noise pretty much ALL the time, but it's never unpleasant (yet....puberty is coming!) On my days off, I have "little birdie quiet time" in early afternoon and he usually spends the whole time fluffed up and talking or singing to himself. When I first got him, we worked every day on "touch" with lots of praise "good boy!" and a treat, and I still give lots and lots of praise for any vocalization that I want to encourage - he still does the Nanday call, but also now has a whole repertoire of cockatiel whistles and a lot of his vocals are mimicking my speech patterns rather than outright squawking.

He LOVES other birds and I've been really surprised at how good he is at reading the very different body language of various species and respecting their boundaries -- even when he's playing jokes and pushing the boundaries! Cotton is a VERY hands off, stay at least 12 inches away kind of bird, and he and Opie have done quite a bit of beak contact when Opie doesn't back off. Opie seems to be able to tell between Cotton's Back Off cry and the moment he actually gets stressed - and he'll immediately fly away then yell "You Ok??? Cotton you Ok????" for five minutes LOL

The Senegal I fostered was very smitten with me and would constantly jump out at Opie then laugh his head off, and poor little Opie just kept trying. It's not so much that he's fearless - I think it's more like he's so genetically programmed to live in a complex community with lots of interaction, he just has confidence that he can get along with everyone and he'll keep trying different ways of making friends until something works.

I do make a point of getting Opie out for at least 30 minutes every morning before work, and now that it's just him and Cotton after 18 months of fostering, I make sure we are doing some sort of training and a game involving flying in the morning. Like any parrot, it took a while to figure out his preferred toy style, but now it's easy to make lots of foraging opportunites to keep him busy. His current favorite project is collecting twigs from the bottom of his cage, carrying them to his sleeping platform, and trying to weave them in the bars (I baked them so most of them end up on the floor). I have a camera on him and he's busy all day aside from quiet time when Cotton naps. I also leave on Hallmark movies LOL a few times a week, and he talks along with the movie the whole day :laugh: If I have music playing (Cotton's preference!), he's quieter but will sing random cockatiel whistle songs.

Aside from cage aggression, which for me has been easy to work around so far, I think a Quaker and Duckie could get along really well :)

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @Parutti That was a very helpful post! You guys are definitely making me feel good about a possible Quaker. The "You OK Cotton?" is sooo sweet.

I too work, but a little less than you. I have 3 days off a week and on Mondays only work 4 hours, so I have a pretty good amount of time to spend with the guys, but you never know with life, work stuff changes as it has for me over the years. I do wonder about the cage aggression, only because Duckie has never had a designated cage, so he thinks they're all his. Him and Paloma slept in separate cages, but during the day it was a free-for-all and their sleeping cages would change occupants depending on their moods. Even now that Paloma is gone, he switches back and forth between cages all day. I suppose he would have to get used to the idea of having only one particular one, and from what it sounds like the Quaker would make sure of that. Lol!

I think it's hilarious that you make him watch Hallmark movies. So pure. :laugh:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
When I had all 3 quakers and each had their own cage and Ta-dah of course has her own..they loved to raid/plunder any cage they could get in. @Parutti has shared enough stories with me that I know Opie is the same. They go in and try out all the toys , sample all the food ( which is the exact same in their cages!) Try out the perches..if the quaker owner is out of the cage , they don't care who goes in their cage . But if I'm trying to get them out of their neighbors cage , mine are just as aggressive protecting this new cage they are in ..

One time all were out of cages, and I was working in Penny's cage. Pikachu my absolute doll baby , came over to see what I was doing. I didn't pay attention, she is my sweetheart, and this wasn't her cage. Well she climbed inside the cage , and gave me the most vicious bite I have ever received from any of my birds, from any foster, any I have ever worked with!!!
Tore open a flap that took a good while to heal! I was so shocked and caught off guard , I hadn't been looking at her as was fiddling with attaching a perch. I yanked my hand out , she was still in the cage and started the protective scream protest . After I cleaned up and banged..I came back to Penny's cage and just tapped the outside perch and asked her to come out. Which she did , as nice as always, and started asking for kisses. Had her step up gave her kisses and quick cuddles.

I don't know what the programming is , but it's not personal when they defend their, whoever's cage. But at least mine are deadly serious about it ..

I'm very careful to keep all cages closed when they are out

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Wow! @Pixibeak I'm sorry about that bite. Yikes! I hear what you're saying though, it's more about the humans, and it could be any cage. Well that's good. For Duckie I mean.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep Opie is the same. Outside the cage he doesn't care who's climbing on it or sharing food :)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I think whatever bird you chose will be one lucky bird I suppose you have to think what you and how duckie will react and respond but if you don’t want a gcc then don’t get one for duckie

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I think whatever bird you chose will be one lucky bird I suppose you have to think what you and how duckie will react and respond but if you don’t want a gcc then don’t get one for duckie
Thank you so much! :swoon:
I love GCCs, I just want to be open to whoever is a good fit personality and age wise.