• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thinking about Adopting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
My husband came home and showed me a picture of a Nanday and told me that one of his co-workers parents have this bird and wants to give it away because all she wants to do is lay eggs. They thought we might adopt this little girl because we have 3 macaws and a parrotlet. I'm seriously think about it because what kind of home does she have if they want to get rid of her when things get a little tough. I'm rambling, sorry... Question.. Is this normal behavior for Conures? What or how should I do to handle this behavior? I have no idea about her age or if she had a mate and maybe something happed to him. Please give me your thoughts about it..

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think you should take her and worry about the problems later. There could be many environmental factors contributing to the egg laying and just a new home with the proper handling and environment may be all it takes to stop it. You can't help if you don't have control over the bird.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think she would have a wonderful home with you:) Please let us know what you decide.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I say take her too. A lot of people just kind of give up before even trying to change things to see if it helps.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I would also say to take the Nanday and deal with the egg laying problem once you get her. Just know (if you aren't aware already) that they are one of the noisiest parrots around, at least the one I once had was.

Ladyredwingrider

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Moni
I already told hubby to talk to the cowoker and let them know we where interested, I kinda figured I would worry about the rest once I got her home. Noise, well she'll fit right into our flock. I just figure we are just adding to our orchristra.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Something that helped with Maddie my parrotlet was not to cuddle her or let her snuggle and nest in my shirt. It was hard on the both of us because she didn't really like head scratches so she mostly just hang out next to me or on my shoulder. Also, taking any perceived nest away, happy huts, boxes, etc. I would get her a large bright cage with no dark corners or snuggly toys. If she is not human bonded I would consider getting another conure. In general conures prefer having another conure around. Even if it is a different species. Of course you don't have to get one right away, or at all if you don't think you can handle it.

platinum

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sharon
I hope that you can help this girl. She needs it. Of course, I'm sure with 3 macs one little conure won't be a noise concern...

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
I've found Nandays to be quite a bit quieter than my Sun and Gold Capped. :)

At 8 1/2 and almost 9, we've never had an egg. And the last 3 springs have been BAD as far as hormones go! There is so much you can do to stop laying, so I also say, take her and deal with it when she gets there. For all you know they are just pulling eggs as she lays (which will only induce MORE laying!). Simple fix!

I actually almost adopted a nanday myself a few months back, but someone snatched her up before I could.

Lex123

Nandays are soooo pretty! I say get her, see if you can help her :)

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Just changing her environment could be enough to curb the egg-laying. Its no longer a safe & trusted place to have/raise babies. Give her plenty of sleep time, some added calcium to replace what she's lost, and limited showers. I also agree with leaving the eggs in there if she has any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.