• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

thinking about adding another fid to my flock

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I have been thinking about adding a Hahns Macaw to my flock but not sure on how a Hahns would fit in , I currently own a male eckie that is almost 4 years old , a quaker that is 16 months old and a Tag that is 8 months old this would not be until the summer of 2010 or the fall of 2010 so is this a good match or not? currently my tag and my quaker are best friends they hang out together all day long and play and eat together but they sleep in their own cage , my eckie kind of sticks to his self he would rather have human company then bird company u could say he ignores the other 2 birds so is this a good idea? or not opinions please ty Debbie

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Good question. As i would also like to add another bird only one more for me. Equaling two. i have a GCC and would like one more bird!

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
ok a quaker would be about the same size as your GCC and quakers are great little birdies :) plus they are excellent talkers , my Opey talks his head off lol

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Well I would say.....
Don't have expectations that any bird will be friends with a new addition.
Hahns are hyper active and silly fids and unlike any other in your flock.
I would look at a rescue before buying a baby. There are many birds in rescues that need love too.
Talk to Holiday, Birdasaurus, and some of the other members that have a Hahns in their life....I was told by Holiday I would need Ninja gear to get near him. hahahahah

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Quite honestly, if you're looking for the possibility of this bird being friends with someone else, I don't think the Hahn's is the way to go. My Hahn's does not get along with any of the others in my flock, and I must say my Grey DETESTS him.

There are a few on here who have a Hahn's bonded to another bird, but usually that significant birdy other is a Sun Conure, or a similarly sized bird that the Hahn's was raised from an egg with.

They are incredibly fun birds, but also have a very nippy, headstrong side and need A LOT of in your face attention. They usually will not be happy just to sit next to you and watch tv...Honu's motto is you better be watching ME!!!

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I love my hahns I think he is great.
They are not known for being "friends" with other birds, they are
usually little bullies.

they are nippy, but thats really the only downside I have with mine. Even then he's getting better about it, and I don't mind it or take it personally.

They are very playful, very clingy, expect him to be more clingy then the other species you listed that you have.
Mine is very cuddly, and I think thats probably normal for hahns.

They have a loud call, somewhat similar to a sun conure.
Mine doesn't "scream" often at all, he did at first, but he is very quiet most of the day now. Although I think I am lucky, because I hear others say their hahns screams a good part of the day.

Mine talks alot, learns words fast, and I hear that most are great talkers.

I would say if you have the time to devote to a really clingy bird that needs lots of attention, and you don't mind being bit by that needle beak, go for it, they are so much fun.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Well I would say.....
Don't have expectations that any bird will be friends with a new addition.
Hahns are hyper active and silly fids and unlike any other in your flock.
I would look at a rescue before buying a baby. There are many birds in rescues that need love too.
Talk to Holiday, Birdasaurus, and some of the other members that have a Hahns in their life....I was told by Holiday I would need Ninja gear to get near him. hahahahah
:iagree: Great advice! :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, what great input you've gotten. I agree with all of it. Hahn's are lively, stubborn, and in-your-face! :) They are whip-smart, with pointy, nippy beaks, and they don't like to be ignored. They do not get along with more low-key birds. They often do best with sun or blue-crown conures or maybe another mini-macaw like an Illy, but aren't usually a good match with a grey or ekkie. I adore my Hahn's. My world would end without him--but they are not for everyone ;)

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
Hahn's to me are like Minnie grays they tons of enrichment lots of toys and a big cage pippin really attached and bits any one who trys to take him with out my permission (as in i give him not they take him) he is Little bit of a nipper but RARELY EVER brakes skin. he loves his rice, fruit, nuts, pellets, not so much veggies but he'll eat them. and yes ninja like skills are required:D

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
I love my Hahn's I think he is great.
They are not known for being "friends" with other birds, they are
usually little bullies.

they are nippy, but thats really the only downside I have with mine. Even then he's getting better about it, and I don't mind it or take it personally.

They are very playful, very clingy, expect him to be more clingy then the other species you listed that you have.
Mine is very cuddly, and I think thats probably normal for Hahn's.

They have a loud call, somewhat similar to a sun conure.
Mine doesn't "scream" often at all, he did at first, but he is very quiet most of the day now. Although I think I am lucky, because I hear others say their hahns screams a good part of the day.

Mine talks alot

I would say if you have the time to devote to a really clingy bird that needs lots of attention, and you don't mind being bit by that needle beak, go for it, they are so much fun.
i agree with all of what she said to

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
ty everyone for the input and no I wasn't thinking about the new bird to be friends with my already existing birds , I was going to adopt one for me not for any of my birds, I can handle the being nippy and the noise , being cuddly would be a plus none of my birds I have now are very cuddly except Rudy my tag just when she wants to be you could say on her time and being hyper , they are all hyper?
ok will do some more thinking on this and do some more research before I make my final decission no hurry here thanks everyone

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
You have such laid back personality-type birds... Rather than a Hahn's, how about an Alexandrine?
They have a lot of what a Hahn's has except the bully-ness and would fit into your flock's laid back attitude.

They are one of my dream birds...

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
I would certainly count on your hahns to be hyper. That is one thing they are known best for.

There are always exceptions but if you do not like the thought of a hyperactive bird I would stay away from the hahns. Mine constantly needs new things to do and new toys to play with. New adventures everyday.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
What I see described here reminds me of my Chloe (GCC). She is NOT good with other birds, is active -- to the point where I consider her hyper, AND she is definitely an "in your face" bird. Not to mention, the two (Hahns & conures) resemble each other except in size and coloring. Aren't the conures and McCaws related?

I was asked about fostering a Hahns, but a couple other birds came into the picture which I am considering, instead. Too bad you aren't in MN -- the rescue that I am involved with has a couple available.

Very interesting reading, everyone. :laughing12: There's nothing like having more than one or two experiences to think about.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I Too bad you aren't in MN -- the rescue that I am involved with has a couple available.

Very interesting reading, everyone. :laughing12: There's nothing like having more than one or two experiences to think about.
Sorry Debbie. If I had a Hahns in I would allow you to foster. I just do not have any in. I did...but she was a wild caught Hahns and she went to a retirement home. She was funny, and adorable, hyperactive, just not sweet. She will be in time, to a degree though.

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
ty Crystal , I went to send u a pm but I don't have 20 posts yet :( happy to see you are not far from me , I'am in Wayne Michigan you are about 30 to 40 minutes away from me :)keep me in mind incase you do get a Hahns or a bird you think would fit with the 3 I have ok :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aren't the conures and McCaws related?
I dont know. Maybe. I know many conures are now being considere Macaws. I think they are closely relate. If not the same.

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I dont know. Maybe. I know many conures are now being considere Macaws. I think they are closely relate. If not the same.
Wow! I didn't know that! I'm going to do some research! :D

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
Thanks, Mercedez! :) I thought I read that they were in the same family which surprised me when you look at the size difference between the GCC & Hy! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.