• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thin shelled eggs?

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I am just wondering what anyone might feed for thin shelled eggs? I feed Harrison’s pellets and am planning to switch to a breeders pellet soon, but I wasn’t expecting eggs at all. This is for non breeding birds. I’m worried the thin shells will break while being laid and lead to egg binding or other problems. I am feeding chop, healthy proteins, and am not adverse to changes. My birds are pet sparrows.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not well versed in sparrow diets - do you feed any insects? Like mealworms or anything? For my gecko I dust bugs with a calcium powder before feeding. Black soldier fly larva are also a good source of calcium.

Fresh food options:

1656529672841.png

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
According to Starling Talk, another bird forum, pet birds like sparrows and starlings, get cat/dog kibble with meat proteins within the first two ingredients and chicken layer mash, boiled egg, and apple sauce daily. Chop as needed. Sparrows are usually offered a seed diet for finch. I switched to pellets about a year ago. This egg thing is entirely new.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Chicken layer mash would definitely have extra calcium in it :) It could be that the parrot pellet is too low in protein and/or calcium. Dog food has to be at minimum 18% for an adult/maintenance diet, and 22.5% for a growth/puppy. For cats, it is 26% and 30%, respectively. Harrison's Adult Lifetime Fine and Superfine are at 14%.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thin shelled eggs are usually a result of a calcium deficiency. I would definitely consult with your vet and ask about supplements and what they recommend.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have cuttlebone, calcium powder, liquid vitamins, and assorted other ‘assist’ things just in case my lovebirds start laying or my chickens need a boost. I’ll give it a look through, consult a rehabber friend I know, and go from there. Yes, she’s married to a vet. So I’m sure they’ll discuss my situation. I really dislike the age these girls are laying at. Thank you .

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Thank you all for the help. I’ve made some key adjustments and the girls are doing so much better. Haven’t seen any eggs in the last few days so hopefully it’s done.