• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

They bite me ALL the time :')

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
So here's the thing, i have 2 lovebirds (personata), a female and a male, and lately both have been biting me like crazy.

I've had them for 3 months and so far they always fly away and "unfluff" when I come. Or atleast that was the case a week ago, I have no idea what happened, they suddenly stopped flying away, they started preening next to my hand, almost like they didnt fear me, so I thought, "this is the perfect time to get them to step on my finger", and so i tried, and so i got bitten.

They do nothing when i approach, but when they're like an inch from my hand, they bite, and heres what worries me, my male lovebird does not bite hard (it still hurts but just a bit), but my female bites for blood, she made me bleed a little, even when i wanted the male to step up, she came and bit me between the nail and the skin, and she does not let go. Can someone explain why?

When i put my finger in front of them with millet to sort of lure them to my finger, they only bite my finger, its like the millet wasnt even there. And so i started investigating, I saw multiple videos that said that I should push upward under their belly, and so i tried, and so i got bitten. help?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
It takes allot of time to get their trust ..treat treat and treat some more out of the cage and while they are in the cage ..Patience ..I have a Blue Fronted Amazon that I have had for 6 yrs or so and she still wont let me touch her ..some just dont want it and others just need time :cool:

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
It takes allot of time to get their trust ..treat treat and treat some more out of the cage and while they are in the cage ..Patience ..I have a Blue Fronted Amazon that I have had for 6 yrs or so and she still wont let me touch her ..some just dont want it and others just need time :cool:
Okay thank you, but should i do the "push under belly" thing???? I just dont know if that was good advice.
Thank you for replying so quickly:birdance::birdance:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're asking too much too quickly. The first step is not step up. It's associating you as being a "good thing". Don't make them work for treats yet. When you get near them, give them a treat that you can set down near them. If they seem to be good with you after a while, move to letting them take the food from your hands. Once they are no longer afraid of their hands, then you can try to lure them into a step up. I don't know about the pushing into the stomach thing, but when in doubt, "free choice" is always better than force.

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
You're asking too much too quickly. The first step is not step up. It's associating you as being a "good thing". Don't make them work for treats yet. When you get near them, give them a treat that you can set down near them. If they seem to be good with you after a while, move to letting them take the food from your hands. Once they are no longer afraid of their hands, then you can try to lure them into a step up. I don't know about the pushing into the stomach thing, but when in doubt, "free choice" is always better than force.
Okay thank you for the advice :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The push into the belly is something that I feel is is quite outdated advice and actually pretty rude. It puts the bird off balance and gives them no choice but to step up or fall over backwards- I fail to see how this is pleasant for the bird and I believe it would make them anxious to see you approaching

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Pushing into the belly is an example of using negative reinforcement which is also known as escape/avoidance learning. The bird steps up to escape/avoid the pressure of the hand in the chest. Not only is the experience of stepping up paired with aversives (however mild in the eyes of the human) but the person using the negative reinforcement is also being paired with those aversives. A sure way to erode trust. Also if a bird really doesn't want to, it may well end in a bite.

they suddenly stopped flying away, they started preening next to my hand, almost like they didnt fear me
This is great! It sounds like you are beginning to earn their trust. You got bitten because you went too far too fast.

They do nothing when i approach, but when they're like an inch from my hand, they bite, and heres what worries me, my male lovebird does not bite hard (it still hurts but just a bit), but my female bites for blood, she made me bleed a little, even when i wanted the male to step up, she came and bit me between the nail and the skin, and she does not let go. Can someone explain why?
Biting is communication. Before the bite they would have given you other warning signs, like eyes widening, maybe head or body leaning away, feathers up maybe on upper shoulders or flat down, etc. If you didn't heed their body language, they would have no option but to bite. Right now it seems they aren't that comfortable with your hand so close. If you keep ignoring their body language they will no longer bother to give it, which is when people say their bird bit "out of nowhere". Also if your interactions keep ending in a bite, you are only teaching them to bite more. Instead aim to keep their body language relaxed around you.

When i put my finger in front of them with millet to sort of lure them to my finger, they only bite my finger, its like the millet wasnt even there.
Go slower. You might feed the millet and gradually bring your other hand closer always watching (and heeding!) their body language. Stopping a foot away might be far enough the first time. Then slowly take the hand away again. Repeat a few times until they begin to get used to your hand getting closer. Some birds just don't like fingers or hands. So when they trust you more, you could also see if they are more comfortable around a clothed arm. Teaching the step up requires a lot of trust on the bird's part.

Meanwhile, you could teach them both something easier like targeting, which is getting a bird to touch something (the end of a plain wooden chopstick, or toothpick works well) with a body part (usually the beak) for a treat (the millet since they like it so much!). This will build a whole new way of communicating between you and you get positively paired with the great experience... and so build trust with them.

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
Meanwhile, you could teach them both something easier like targeting, which is getting a bird to touch something (the end of a plain wooden chopstick, or toothpick works well) with a body part (usually the beak) for a treat (the millet since they like it so much!). This will build a whole new way of communicating between you and you get positively paired with the great experience... and so build trust with them.
I agree with everything, i will put it into account, but i've tried target training before and the thing is, they bite the stick and dont let go, they sort of see it as a toy, so what do i do there?
Anyway tysm :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I agree with everything, i will put it into account, but i've tried target training before and the thing is, they bite the stick and dont let go, they sort of see it as a toy, so what do i do there?
You are holding the stick too close to them if they can bite it- pull it back a bit so they have to reach to touch it with their top beak.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What are you using as a reinforcer for touching/biting the target stick? If you are using a treat (maybe the millet), they should let go to nibble at the millet or take the treat when it appears straight after biting the stick. That's when you can remove the stick. Don't try to take it away from them whilst they are biting it or else you pulling and them hanging on to it may well be reinforcing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There are some good target training videos out there. I would check out some resources like Pamela Clark, Barbara Heidenrich or Laura Joseph. Lovebird owners don't hate me- I like them I really do- but female lovebirds are bitey in my experience. Not saying they aren't sweet but they can be hormonal little devils when they want to be. I think you need to slow down with the lovies and build more trust as suggested. You're also going to have to work on learning her triggers. For instance, I fostered a female lovebird, and an hour before her bedtime I couldn't touch her or put my hands in the cage. So, I just made sure she was in her cage at least an hour before bedtime and that her food and water were changed before then. You can definitely work around the biting but it just takes some time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Great posts here by other members, I just wanted to add that you should keep in mind that you are working with a bonded pair of lovebirds, and that any progress will take a little longer than someone with a single bird.

I fostered a female lovebird, and an hour before her bedtime I couldn't touch her or put my hands in the cage.
My hen Lapis doesn't like hands in her cage, but when I put my hand out for her to hop out of her cage onto my hand, sheś a sweetheart, like butter wouldn´t melt :lol: She's very "tame", but hands in the cage is a big no no! With eggs it's even worse, she's like Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde, it's crazy how quickly she flips personality when she's in/on or out of her cage.

I always make sure the birds are caged a while before bedtime so they can settle and sleep well.

X.rei

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Iker Abrego
Thank you all for your recommendations i WILL put them into account.
I just have one last question, should i train them separately? I feel like they distract eachother when they are together, but when they are in different rooms they yell for eachother, what should I do?
(sorry for replying so late i've been really busy)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have heard some people do that. You could give it a go and see how they react to that. Though you might find it easier to focus on training one bird in the same room as the other. Once one will come close and interact with you, the other usually follows suit.

Reactions: Yen