• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There's No Time Limit

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
A success story to keep you motivated ❤

I don't know who needs to hear this, but you can stop pressuring yourself to have tricks and training accomplished within a certain time period. You are not a bad owner. Training depends as much on the individual bird as it does on your support and guidance. While baseline trust and boundaries should be established as soon as possible, and you'll need some simple commands earlier than others, remember that you have their entire life to learn and grow. There's no rush!! Training never stops.

I had a wonderful moment with my female IRN that I wanted to share to reassure you when you feel frustrated and incompetent. Popsicle was a ferral IRN that we rescued, and she has always been afraid of hands. Since day one we worked on this, getting her to touch her beak to my palm or fist for a treat, and even just laying my hands out in front of her to inspect and test with her beak. If properly motivated (ie. TREATS!!) Pop will reliably fly to me from a perch. But she won't land on my hand- instead she had always just landed on my head because that's where she feels safe. From there we progressed to her stepping onto my hand after flying to and landing on my head. But every time I call her to me, I raise my hand out just in case she changes her mind. Two days ago she started landing directly on my hand. I couldn't tell you what changed! I guess she just decided she was ready. Then today she flew to the hand of a visiting friend!!! My jaw hit the floor. We have been working on this for THREE YEARS. Honestly I had just accepted that this was who she was, and that while I'd keep working to ease her stress around hands, I didn't blame either of us for her odd head-to-hand quirk. It turns out she just needed time.

So I'll say it again. Your little feathered person is unique and the length of time it takes to train them is not a reflection on either of you. It just is. Honour the little accomplishments between you and know that everyone on this forum is rooting for you and your fid.

There's no time limit

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Makes me feel hopeful with Poptart. He wasn't neglected, abused, or have a super traumatic experience with hands. I got him as a handfed baby, though I'm sure the LACK of handling brought on a natural fear of hands on top of previously being clipped and having to rely on hands. Now that he's flighted, I don't think he wants to rely on them anymore. We've been working hard. We step up for treats only some of the time- other times, he flies away. Even though I've made it a point to step up + step down immediately and treat. He is still very wary and recall training has been a nightmare.

Thanks for sharing your success.

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Ahh yeah I definitely understand the fear after being clipped. You may be right about not wanting to be dependent. Popsicle is the same, she's very sure-headed and would be quite distressed at having to rely on someone else for movement. Great idea doing the step down right away, you are clearly very aware of how your bird feels. That's wonderful. Have you tried clicker training? That might help indicate that the action is done immediately and decrease some of the stress of what will come after they have stepped up, even though you've been consistently putting them down. I found clicker training works really well will Popsicle, less so with our male Habibi.

At the end of the day, if you are attentive to their emotions I truly believe they appreciate it, even if they don't demonstrate it. Poptart is a brilliant name by the way, definitely suits. It sounds like you are providing the patience and sensitivity needed for a nervous bird. Keep going, they remember that patience

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Ahh yeah I definitely understand the fear after being clipped. You may be right about not wanting to be dependent. Popsicle is the same, she's very sure-headed and would be quite distressed at having to rely on someone else for movement. Great idea doing the step down right away, you are clearly very aware of how your bird feels. That's wonderful. Have you tried clicker training? That might help indicate that the action is done immediately and decrease some of the stress of what will come after they have stepped up, even though you've been consistently putting them down. I found clicker training works really well will Popsicle, less so with our male Habibi.

At the end of the day, if you are attentive to their emotions I truly believe they appreciate it, even if they don't demonstrate it. Poptart is a brilliant name by the way, definitely suits. It sounds like you are providing the patience and sensitivity needed for a nervous bird. Keep going, they remember that patience
Yeah I always use clicker - it's a consistent noise and I can capture behavior because I have a stutter at times/delayed vocal response to things so clicker is typically vital for me lol unless it's a known and perfected behavior and a "Good!" can be used instead. So he knows when he steps up he gets a click. Once in a while I can have him stay longer and continue to click + treat... but he's VERYYYYYYY weird with the hands thing. One second he's totally find with sitting longer, sometimes he wants to fly off instantly. Makes little sense.

TwoGreenFids

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jewels
Hey that's great! Good for you though, honestly. Keep it up and remember to love them as they are along the way ❤ You got this