• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There Seems to be a Direct Link Between Fledging and Weaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Another observation... there seems to be a direct link between learning how to fly and weaning.

Since Truely's been jetting around she has hardly any interest in her morning hand feeds. She is down to one or two a week.

Something about flight independence leads to food independence, which is why is it so important, especially for the larger birds, to fledge when they're babies.

I am fully convinced that if she had been allowed to fledge when she was little, she would have had an easier time weaning.

Ginger

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can definitely see that. When I was handfeeding babies i had noticed the same thing. Soon as they'd start testing out those wings they'd be giving me the "Im all grown up" look when I went to handfeed. I always loved that part best, when Id see them fly for the first time. :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Another observation... there seems to be a direct link between learning how to fly and weaning.

Since Truely's been jetting around she has hardly any interest in her morning hand feeds. She is down to one or two a week.

Something about flight independence leads to food independence, which is why is it so important, especially for the larger birds, to fledge when they're babies.

I am fully convinced that if she had been allowed to fledge when she was little, she would have had an easier time weaning.

Ginger
Absolutely!!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That definitely makes a lot of sense. I wonder if that "foraging instinct" is kicked up when the birds are able to mobilize themselves and therefore become independent? Ella has always had her wings clipped (to her previous owners knowledge) but when I adopted her last month they had been letting her wings grow in and had said she had attempted to fly a couple of times. Now she zooms all over our house, and has really shown a greater interest in the foraging toys I have made for her.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that makes complete and perfect sense

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
I think you are definitely right about that.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I definitely agree with that! Fledging is sooo important.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
about the foraging aspect. i could say there might be something to that - but might not. some none flightedbirds can forage quite well..BUT i will say since letting sunny have her wings (well waiting so impatiently for them to grow) she has become a foraging master and is no longer scared of the bottom of her cage! SO i see the link there with her. she also screams much less than before as she is getting braver and braver and attempting to fly around or to me rather than sitting there waiting and screaming

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very interesting observation. :highfive:

Kimba

You are correct, it is also a time when you expect babies to lose weight. This is necessary as it helps to allow for flight, as they gain muscle and flight ability, they will regain their weight. Unclipped birds are more self reliant and DO wean easier! It is more natural for them. clipped babies are more hesitant and dependent on humans, this makes for longer weaning times and it increases the chance for food related anxieties, feather destruction and biting issues.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I totally agree with you 100% Ginger!

And Kimba that was nicely said, good post!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The biggest problem I am having with Holly.:(

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Quote "Another observation... there seems to be a direct link between learning how to fly and weaning.

I am fully convinced that if she had been allowed to fledge when she was little, she would have had an easier time weaning."

I have been looking for a Hand reared Fid, and with this in mind I have asked a few people who have fids I would like to look at.
And go a resonding yes to my question are they/it clipped.
It seems like this practice is very common when hand taming a young fid. That's in NZ.
It matters not, now as I have asked if the young Tiel, that has come into the local rescue, becomes available. Can it come home with me! And it looks good unless we find it's owner.
It is very young and has not been clipped.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I agree. Shortly after fledging most of my babies would begin to refuse there morning handfeeding. I found that this was universal across species.

Something else that you may find interesting. I found that Sara always knew what sex the babies were, and she was always proven correct through DNA.

Explanation; Sara is a CAG and is about 16 years old now. When I would feed and handle babies, prior to DNA results, I would say "good baby". Sara, of course always *helped me*, she would say "step up" or whatever I was telling the baby at the time. She would then say "good boy" or "good girl".

After awhile, I started to make a note on the baby's journal page, whether Sara referred to that baby as "good boy" or "good girl" and she was always correct!

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I always think back to how parrots in the wild live when I'm contemplating things about our companions in our homes. :rolleyes:

Parrots in the wild need to fledge before they wean because they need to get to the food sources in order to learn how to eat on their own and forage. Their parents regurgitate to feed them and don't bring back whole foods to the nest.

It's a very simple explanation as to why some parrots take a long time to wean if they weren't able to fledge since the parrots in our homes have all of the same instincts as parrots in the wild. :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
II found that Sara always knew what sex the babies were, and she was always proven correct Sara is a CAG and is about 16 years old now. When I would feed and handle babies, prior to DNA results, I would say "good baby". Sara, of course always *helped me*, she would say "step up" or whatever I was telling the baby at the time. She would then say "good boy" or "good girl".

After awhile, I started to make a note on the baby's journal page, whether Sara referred to that baby as "good boy" or "good girl" and she was always correct!
:omg:

She knew!!!

How in the world???
Why of course they are the smartest animals in the Kingdom!
Sara told you the sex and that is what is freaking AMAZING!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Thats so awesome. I totally believe it. Once a bird understands the concept of english or human words, they use it in contex. :dancing: Birds are so smart:D

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
That is friggen awesome!!

Ginger

Kimba

That is really interesting! I wish it could be properly documented for science! It might prove interesting and informative in other matters. If science can understand avian human speech better, like Alex the Grey, than maybe our birds can say.....I don't feel well, when they are sick, or be asked...what hurts. Of course this is the more far fetched of ideas, more likely would be the validity of birds knowing the sex of their eggs and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.