• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The surrender we had on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawlvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
I like your thoughts and questions Kristy.

I guess I'm relating to this story and situation because I'll be turning 62 in a few months.

It hasn't been that long ago that I went through some really tough times with a bad leg and couldn't hardly get around...and I certainly couldn't care for my birds like I normally do. At that point I started to seriously consider re-homing some of my birds.

Fortunately my son is involved with my birds and made sure the birds were cared for. Things have turned around for me now to where I can get around ok and do things...I'm just slower.

As I get older and closer to my son coming to the age of graduating from school and probably moving out, I think more often of my birds and what happens with them when I can't care for them properly. I could live with re-homing 'some' of them...but to have to re-home all of them...and if I couldn't visit or see them again...well, you might as well just put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.

I'm a rational man and I 'will do' what is best for my birds, you can count on that, but I can't help but think that I would lose my will to live if I was completely separated from all my birds.

It is comforting to know that there are capable and caring people out there to take them in if need be and make good choices for their future care as well as their emotional well being.

I do have a plan in place in case of a extreme unexpected event in my life but I still worry about their welfare and happiness.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ditto to James.
Don't be too critical of the care the old man gave to his birds. He had had them all 15-20 years and take it from me back then there was not a lot of information about caring for parrots. A lot of the information that was around then has changed drastically over the years. I know some of you are too young to remember when there was no internet and no forums like this, where copious amounts of information is at your fingertips.

You know the old saying about walking in someone else's shoes.
ML

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
About prior owners visiting, it didn't work out well with Jasper (16 yo GW female). She mourned deeply for her family, who loved her dearly, for 6 months. During that time her mother would come to visit her and Jasper would go back into a funk every time she did. Finally, I asked her not to come see her any more.

That said - every bird and every person is different. No blanket rules out there for the situation.
ML

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Ditto to James.
Don't be too critical of the care the old man gave to his birds. He had had them all 15-20 years and take it from me back then there was not a lot of information about caring for parrots. A lot of the information that was around then has changed drastically over the years. I know some of you are too young to remember when there was no internet and no forums like this, where copious amounts of information is at your fingertips.

You know the old saying about walking in someone else's shoes.
ML
I agree, I get birds a lot of time from elderly people who just didn't know as there was not as much info available then as there is now.
Back when birds were imported, a seed diet was thought to be great for the birds. Only in the last decade have we learned to feed fresh foods, and pellets and the size cages they need. Many people back then did not know avian behavior or what they needed such as enrichment.
:hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
They are lucky, lucky birds for the son to have been so responsible and for them to have found you. That downward spiral when they start getting rehomed irresponsibly is not a pretty picture.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
ML

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I remember Sherry telling us a story of one of her re-homed Toos and the owner wanted to visit him often but it left the bird so distraught each time they had to stop the visiting. That would be absolutley heart breaking for both parties.

That being said you hear of birds living in two households and it being great for all.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
wOw,they're beautiful!:heart:

Macawlvr

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
I remember Sherry telling us a story of one of her re-homed Toos and the owner wanted to visit him often but it left the bird so distraught each time they had to stop the visiting. That would be absolutley heart breaking for both parties.

That being said you hear of birds living in two households and it being great for all.
I could walk away never to return if I had too. Part of loving anything to me contains the part about 'loving them enough to let go'.
And in wanting the best for them, I have to choose that even when that best doesn't include me.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
James I agree 100% with you, I think in this case the person who turned over the bird would continue to show up and want to see the bird. :(
She said no however (thankfully).

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
What beautiful birds.....especially the last "blue and gold"...*giggle*

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Thank you so much for taking these beauties into your place where they will be looked after..bless yo u

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Stacy in the pic the military cross looks vert thin...is it just me??

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Sorry I stepped out for a few hours...I will try and get to everyones responses...

As for letting him see them again. No, I dont allow that. As hard as it to not allow it at times. I would just be harder on everyone involved. To much confusion for the birds. I DO however give updates via phone or email. So he wont just be sitting around and wondering. I always feel that the rescues, are dealing with both the animal and the human. Esp in cases of hoarders and the elderly...I feel that they need to be giving TLC also. So I keep in contact, and do what I can to make the owners feel comfortable too.

As for showering them the same day. I dont want them to get all settled, just to be traumatized again in a few days and need to start over. These birds havent been bathed. So I got them home, got them in their cages, which was also new. And started in with the showers...and each one I was able to hold and reassure after we were done, there were no issues, and they all seemed receptive of the attention. Now we can spend the next few weeks, with no added trauma.

Tanya...yea, I stated in the original post I can feel the keel bone.

Last edited:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Stacy I can understand why they can't see them again, I was just wondering. I am super happy that some that surrender care enough to ask for updates and I am glda you can do that for them. :hug8:

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Stacy I can understand why they can't see them again, I was just wondering. I am super happy that some that surrender care enough to ask for updates and I am glda you can do that for them. :hug8:
I know...I do feel bad for some of them, but...its what is best.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
What a rough situation for everyone. I'm glad they're settling in and at least the good diet and consistency of their former lives should help steady them.

Macawlvr

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
Stacy, I hope my posts in your thread didn't come across as insensitive to the choices you have to make, or seemed ungrateful for all your hard and caring work that you do in providing for birds that need your help.

If they did, I sincerely apologize to you as that was not my intent at all. I applaud you for your concern and care and I definitely realize hard choices must be made. I'm sorry that I didn't mention in my posts how extremely grateful I am to you for providing for all the birds that you so lovingly take in and care for.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Bless you for taking them in. Looks like with some good food, regular baths and TLC, they will be just fine. They are all beautiful.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
They are cuties. I'm surprised none plucked without toys (though you said Harley chews his wing feathers).
Did he ask if he could see them again? If a person would ask that would you consider it, or would it be too tough on bird and person alike?? Or is is completely dependant on each situation?
Sorry to highjack but we had a U2 at the rescue whose previous guardian would visit him every few months. Whenever she came, he'd get extremely aggressive and then depressed for several days after the visit. We had to politely tell her that her visits were detrimental to his mental well being and that she could no longer see him. I think every time she came in he was hopeful that he would go back with her and got very upset when she didn't bring him home.
I'm sure there are other birds who wouldn't care either way, and some who would prefer to never see their guardian again, so it probably depends on the bird.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Stacy, I hope my posts in your thread didn't come across as insensitive to the choices you have to make, or seemed ungrateful for all your hard and caring work that you do in providing for birds that need your help.

If they did, I sincerely apologize to you as that was not my intent at all. I applaud you for your concern and care and I definitely realize hard choices must be made. I'm sorry that I didn't mention in my posts how extremely grateful I am to you for providing for all the birds that you so lovingly take in and care for.

Oh no not at all, I was just stating my beliefs is all :heart:
Hard to read emotion over the internet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.