• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The strangest thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimily

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly Madison
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new here and still very much a novice, so maybe this behavior is perfectly normal... but I can't seem to find any information on it.

I have had my CAG Henry for almost a month now. This little man is 10 years old and was never held by anyone but his former owners before. It took him a little while, but he now steps up for me (when he feels like it) and lets me give him head skritches a little bit. Our bonding seems to be coming along very nicely.

His whole life he's been on a diet of harrison's pellets and a couple zupreem primate biscuits (heated with water, served by hand mushy) in the morning and at night.. Part of me attributes his quick bonding with me to the fact that I hand feed him these biscuits every day. I know some people think they are bad but he's had them his whole life so if I ever choose to change his diet it will be a long time from now once he's completely settled in (besides, I like the bonding experience of hand feeding him every day and he loves it). Ok, so onto the question.

This morning while I was hand feeding Henry, he did the absolute strangest thing! He'd eaten 2 biscuits from my hand and we were moving on to the third. Instead of nibbling the biscuit, he took his beak and put my finger in his mouth. I thought that his aim was just off and that he'd meant to get the biscuit, but I quickly realized he was doing it on purpose! He used his tongue and sort of licked my finger and bobbed his body up and down a tiny bit. For lack of better words, he "deep-throated" my finger and slobbered all over it while he was doing this. I took my finger away and he lifted his little foot like he wanted me to pick him up. So i put my fingers up to him to let him come up and he did it again! He was nibbling very lightly on my finger the whole while and was very gentle. Every time I'd take my hand away he'd lift his foot and ask me to come back. I wasn't sure whether to feel slightly violated or concerned...

I tried giving him more biscuits a little later and he didn't want them.

I have several books on African Grey behavior and just parrot behavior in general but I can't seem to find the proper way to describe this and haven't found any explanations. Does anyone know what this behavior means? I hope he's not sick or something!! I was wondering also if maybe this was a strange sort of mating behavior that I should be wary of? Thanks for reading!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Mine does it as well, quite a few times a day. She never puts more than the lightest pressure on my finger. I believe it is a sign of affection, so I believe your bird is bonding with you. She grabs my nose as well so be prepared:)

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
It means he loves you:)
Birds will try (and some have no problem succeeding) in regurgitating on a hand, an arm, whatever.
My 8 year old Green Wing macaw does attempt it, but never actually brings up any food.
It is a natural thing, although my husband always quickly moved Toni, our grey, back to his Java tree whenever he started the head bobbing, about to puke thing:)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Another thing I meant to say is that many birds explore with their tongues. My GW will explore my hand, each finger, then my entire arm, with her tongue. It isn't always the precursor to regurgitating. Affection, curiosity...all normal.

Nimily

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly Madison
Thank you for the responses! I'm so glad that it's a good thing and not something bad. Henry was so terrified when he first came here. He would fluff up and lunge whenever we'd come close. I've been working very hard to get him comfortable and taking things very slowly, and it's wonderful to think that it is starting to pay off. He still won't sit on my hand for more than a few minutes at a time, but it does seem like we make a little more progress every single day. :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
He's showing he loves you and trusts you and is regurgitating for you. You have made excellent progress with Henry is a short time. Keep doing what you are doing, it's working.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Ah yes, I get regurgitated on all the time as well:) But, my Grey will also just grab my finger or nose lightly in her beak. Any time I put my hand in her cage for any reason she does it, and she does it while she is out with me.

Nimily

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly Madison
I have another question about something not so sweet that he does, but I think I'll make a new post in these forums about it. Off to go do that now!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Squeeky and Scooty do the nibbling of the fingers too! It is a sign of affection :)

Status
Not open for further replies.