• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The story of a little Miracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Miracle's story:
Miracle was a budgie that I almost didn't get.
In 2007 I decided to get another budgie as a companion for my single budgie, Sunshine. I had been volunteering at a bird rescue for several months, and decided to get a blue budgie named Maggio. I was all set to bring him home, but a few weeks before, I had a dream about another budgie at the rescue who had bad arthritis. In my dream, her name was Miracle, and in the dream, she was bullied by the other budgies in the cage. In my dream the other budgies eventually killed her and it seemed like nobody cared about her life.
I told my dad about my dream, and he agreed to let me adopt her as well, and I named her Miracle because I thought she was speaking to me through the dream and telling me her name.

She was never a healthy budgie. I have no idea of her age, but believe she was older due to her arthritis. She also would breath heavily whenever she flew. My vet told me that she was probably on her last legs and not to expect her to live very long.

Little did I know, she would actually outlive both Sunshine and Maggio.
I worked very hard on taming her and my other budgies through positive reinforcement. Through this training, I formed a very strong bond to them all.

When Maggio and Sunshine died, I wanted to get a similarly sized bird, but not a budgie, because I felt they didn't live long enough, and it was too hard on me when they died.
I was actually approached by an acquantance who offered me her parrotlet for free. I thought it was fate and agreed to take in Harper in Summer 2008.
She eventually became friends with Miracle. They absolutely adored each other.

Shortly after their introduction, Miracle suffered a wing injury. The cause is unknown, as she was free range in my bird room, but I think Harper either injured her, or she flew into something. The vet said that it wasn't broken, and would probably get better on it's own, but it did not. For the rest of her life (several more months) she could no longer fly.

Then, I started noticing sores and white spots on her feet. I thought it was bumblefoot just from her arthritis, and being on her feet so much so I tried to treat it with homeopathic methods that I read on the internet. After a couple of weeks of it not getting any better, I brought her into the vet where she was diagnosed with gout. She lived several more months with a low protein diet and foods that were good for kidney health, as well as a modified cage to keep her comfortable, but she reached a point in the spring of 2009 where I knew it was her time and she was euthanized.

She was such a fighter and it was definitely hard to see her go. Harper was also very sad to lose her friend, but I think she had a long and happy life. She has made a huge impact in my life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.