• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Scary Lady Upstairs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarissa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Clarissa
So, a few months ago when when I moved into my new apartment, I had the very bitter experience in meeting one of my neighbors in my apartment building. We were in the process of moving in and such, and it was a little later in the evening on this particular day. It was hot out, so I was a mess, dressed in a tank top and shorts with my hair in a greasy sweaty mess. Not much of a first impression on anything. (I pity all souls who saw me that night before my shower.)

Anyways, on this particular evening, I was bringing my beautiful prom gown inside, (I'd already been to prom, but I love my gown and I am so totally keeping it forever, hoooarder.) it was carefully wrapped in it's David's Bridal bag, draped lovingly in my arms. I made it up the first two steps of the porch leading into my new building before a sharp "AHEM" caught my attention. I won't lie. It scared the bajeezus out of me. Who the heck is going to talk to me on a dark, dimly lit street at 10:00 o'clock at night?

I turned around to see this shorter woman(Then again, everyone is short compared to me as I'm at a striking 5'11" in height), a red head with short curly hair, probably mid thirties. She looked very serious... I was a little nerved, as I didn't know who she was. Suddenly she asked me "What are you bringing here? Is that trash or laundry?" I was confused, and being my spunky, sarcastic, wise ••• self... I replied in a snide tone. "Uhm, neither." She asked what I was doing and I kindly (RUUUDELY) replied "I'm moving in, these are my things." and continued with my business.

I figured she was probably that neighbor. You know, the neighbor everyone has, no matter where you live; the one that always has to have their nose in everyone else's business and gives anyone they think doesn't meet their standards, because they don't know them, an unnecessarily hard time for really no reason.

After that encounter, I opted not to interact with her. I didn't want to cause problems with her or give her a reason to cause problems so me, so I chose to keep my mouth shut and ignore her all together. I saw her a few times here and there after I moved in, never really spoke to her, gave the occasional "Hi." always keeping my distance.

Anyways, I later learned that her name was Ruth, I had talked to all my neighbors at some point or another, becoming particularly close to my neighbor across the hall, a nice older gentleman named Bill who is always very friendly and use to ride and train horses, so we immediately found some common ground there. And then there was the nice couple on the third floor with their little chihuahua who's name is Pitiful Piddle. (I know, charming, right?) And the mechanic dude. And then there was the crazy religious couple... Yeah, we won't go there. And then there was Ruth... whom I'd never really spoken to besides that one first encounter.

Anyways, a few weeks ago, Bill saw me with Valentine sitting on the porch. It was a nice day and I wanted to sit outside, got a problem with it? No? Okay, let's continue. He told me that Valentine was cute (Who wouldn't!?) and said that Ruth had a bird, too. I was curious. Bill said he occasionally heard "bird noises" from her apartment which is directly above his. Now, since Bill is an older guy, his definition of bird noises was... well. Just that. Very, very, extremely vague. For all I knew it could have been a canary.

And then yesterday, I ran into the mechanic from upstairs. I had Valentine with me, so when he saw him, he immediately went on how Ruth had a bird! But this time, I got more insight. He didn't just say bird. He said "BIG white bird." When he said that, I immediately knew what it was. It HAD to be a cockatoo.

So after kicking myself mentally a few million times. I talked myself into it. I was going to talk to her! She has a parrot, I HAVE to talk to her now.

So, last night, I went upstairs, and meekly, quietly, VERY quietly knocked on her door. Much to my distaste... she answered. I was still nervous, so was almost hoping she wouldn't answer. So after fumbling over my words, I awkwardly introduced myself and told her that a few weeks ago, Bill told me she had a bird. And then the mechanic told me she had a big white bird. And I told her that once he said that, I knew it had to be a cockatoo. She smiled and said "Yes! Would you like to see him?" uhm. Yes! So, she led me to her room, and there, sitting atop a grand coal black cage, was this big, beautiful Umbrella Cockatoo.

As soon as I saw him, I gasped and awe at this beautiful bird who was in perfect feather. I said "He's an Umbrella Cockatoo!" and she chuckled warmly and said "You know your birds."

We talked for a while, I told her about Valentine and Haku and told her I was looking into adopting a macaw. She complimented me several times saying that it was impressive how much I knew about birds, and she thought that was really cool. She told me all about her birdy adventures, how she came to the conclusion that a cockatoo was the bird for her, and how she went to the local bird store many times to handle all the different birds they had to get a feel for what she was looking for. Her cockatoo is 11 years old, she hand fed him, and everything. It was a very sweet bird, although I didn't handle him, he definitely struck me as a very well behaved bird.

So... the moral of the story is... Don't judge your neighbors if they seem scary at first... They might be a parrot lover just like you! :) :umbrella2:

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Awesome story!! Did she get him from "that" store? What is his name?

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I just realized something...after pouting for a nanosecond cause I don't have any cool neighbors with birds, I do have a real live birdy friend in my town!! :) YOU!!

Clarissa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Clarissa
lol!!! :D Bird ladies are AWESOME! :)

And, his name is Robert. Robert the Umbrella Cockatoo. Annnd, I'm not sure where she got him... he seems too nice to have come from that store.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Maybe we all look like scary bird ladies to non bird people. :lol: I feel envy too, no bird people around me. :( Welcome.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
I was totally expecting a different ending! Lol. Glad she is nice! I never had that much luck, when I was in college in Minneapolis, my crazy upstairs neighbor was something else. Mind you, I was the best college student she could have ever asked for...pre law, super studious, and only chinchillas as pets. I was very quiet and a bartender so never had parties and always just came home quietly at 2 or 3 am. I swear I gently shut the door every time, but it must be very loud to her and she would yell at me, post notes on my door telling me that, and I QUOTE "I am killing her daughter and her slowly, and she is going through chemo" I guess I was doing this by "walking loudly". I told her that I never even wear shoes in the house, only slippers, and we are DOWNSTAIRS. How can my footsteps bother her, who is upstairs, and her bedroom is 2 stories above me!? I just didn't get it. I spoke with my landlord, who was also an attorney, and he knew she was crazy...and told me just to ignore her craziness. I felt bad for the lady, and eventually she moved out. She was actually really loud up there with a huge dog running around, and I could hear her..but that is life! If you share a house you can hear your neighbors! I think people need to chill!

MaximotheMacaw

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicolette
Oh wow! What an awesome story! Now you have a new birdie friend :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I did NOT see that coming! Amazing and very cool! :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
now t hat is a great great story!~!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow- what an awesome story!!!!!!!!!!!:dance4::hug8::D

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
What an awesome story!!!!

QP4CAG

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Whatta great story!!!!! Kudos for you for braving it up!:dance5:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great story!,thats so cool.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
What a great story! I have a neighbor that's a pain here. The first night I moved in I was taking out a load of trash and dropped the bag that had some glass in it. As I tossed it in the dumpster he came charging out and started searching for broken glass. He lectured me about picking it all up, and I pointed out it had been in the bag before going on to tell me about just how dangerous it was. This just started it. He's yelled at me for having friends out at 8 PM on the porch talking quietly, for a pair of younger friends throwing a foot ball at 4 PM back and forth, and after my landlord told him to leave the other tenants alone he called the cops for us being on the porch after dark. He's yelled at new neighbors for having TVs on after a certain hour as well. He went off on the landlords son for cleaning up his porch after the cut down the weeds as well. The man's just nuts.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
Nice story, I'm still surprised that your apartment complex will let you have a cockatoo/macaw! Awesome outcome!

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Clarissa maybe she was the way she was because she hadn't had anyone who would understand her for having a bird.

There are a lot of people out there that just don't get it, but now she has you and think of all the stories you will get to hear and think of what this could do for her mentally and emotionally to have someone that she can talk to now. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.