• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Parrot "Headlock"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I was curious if anyone used this method to gain "respect" from their birds?
A co-worker at work swears by this, but honestly I never do that, and I find it kind of.. negative?

Like if his bird is being bad, he'll put it in a headlock until he relaxes and submits.
Thoughts...?

I like this example, it's kind of how i perceive the headlock.

Example of induced Negative Reinforcement: You put your nephew in a headlock and tell him you will only release if he tells you that you are his favorite uncle. He tells you that you are his favorite uncle and you release.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I haven't heard of anyone on the board using it. I personally prefer positive reinforcement because it doesn't have any negative effects such as the negative association that is being made with being handled. I also prefer to teach the bird (or dog or cat, etc) a behavior I would prefer them to do. What is his definition of "being bad"? Is it when the bird screams? Is it when the bird gets off its cage and onto the floor? Is it when the bird destroys the grand piano? If he is restraining the bird in all these situations and more the bird will have a hard time telling why he is being handled this way. All he is thinking is my wacko owner has decided to go crazy and if I calm down, he'll let me go. There is no information there to tell him he did something bad. The example you give involve humans and the nephew is being told exactly what action he needs to take to be released.

Last edited:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I agree, I do not use methods like this on my bird. But he thinks it's really weird I don't!

For example, my friend went to go meet his bird the other day. The bird refused to step up for her, and would gently bite telling her to go away. He told her to put him in a headlock, and then after he submitted, he began to step up for her.
He told her this is her showing her dominance over him... but I don't believe in dominance in birds.

Just curious what everyones thoughts were :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have never heard of anyone doing that. Positive reinforcement is much better.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I've never heard of putting a bird in a head lock. :confused: I wouldn't use it, I'd be too scared something would go wrong. That and my fids are not about to forget any mistreatment!

HungryBird

Birdie necks are really fragile and I can imagine it ending badly in a variety of ways. Do you know exactly what he meant by headlock? I have seen people hold birds in their hands to immobilize them to administer medication and often I see that they are holding the neck still. I don't think that would be considered a headlock though. Seems more like just getting them to hold still so you can make sure nothing happens. We do the same for dogs when they are being treated if they are not cooperating.

It sounds a bit meant to me. What kinds of birds does he do it with? I've noticed all the people who talk about using force to make birds submit are doing it to cockatiels and other small birds. Would he be as willing to put a huge macaw in a headlock? I hope it would bite him!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
I think it's ••••

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Would your friend like that? Probably not, she sounds like she shouldn't own a parrot. :mad:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is a form of "flooding" which teaches learned helplessness.

When toweling a bird (especially a large one), that is the technique used to control head of the bird.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
John, isn't it the "bird whisperer" (I can't think of his name) that teaches "flooding" as a way to get instant results from your bird? I think it's been proven that while the results may be quick now later on down the road you end up with a lot of problems resulting from it. It's definitely not any way to gain trust.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
That's the method vets use when handling larger parrots; it keeps the 'business end of the bird' in control.
Shyra posted it was a form of 'flooding'.....in my opinion, barbaric.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Yeah I'm not a fan. I said if she did that to one of my birds, I'd kill her. LOL.

He owns a senegal. It was wild-caught and about 40 years old now.

He used to work at an aviary, Milkwood Aviaries, so i'm sure he learned a lot of that from them.
I might have to clarify and ask them what they meant by a "headlock".

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John, isn't it the "bird whisperer" (I can't think of his name) that teaches "flooding" as a way to get instant results from your bird? I think it's been proven that while the results may be quick now later on down the road you end up with a lot of problems resulting from it. It's definitely not any way to gain trust.
Yup. Ken Globus. Can't say I'm sorry he died.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks John, I could not remember his name for the life of me. He definitely had some scary ways of doing things. Just a shame so many people listened to him.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree with Steve, it's $#@! And the last resort of somebody who has no clue on how to have a relationship built on trust for either animals or humans. He probably puts a headlock on his wife and kids too. :mad:

Ginger

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It sounds like a really bad idea to me. How on earth is that supposed to build trust and a healthy relationship? :mad:

Jen0087

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Poor baby, what a bully! Maybe you could point him to the training forum on here? Then again it sounds like he is under the impression that he is good with birds and won't consider another way. Next time he mentions it you should say you only train your birds in a positive way. I wish we could stop him : (

Status
Not open for further replies.