• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The missing link supplement

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Missing Link has been around 25 or so years. I am familiar with it. Moreso it's been used for canine to equine.

I would think birds can get all that they need with formulated foods such as extruded pelleted foods.

Of course, I would read and research all ingredients. Supplementing diet cannot hurt, but over supplementing can.

Research ingredients because there are things you can use or try that are 100% natural such as spirulina algae, herbs and dry flowers.

What kind of bird in question? You will be surprised how many good things you can hide in mashes and birdie bread. ;)

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
Parrotlet.will eat sprouted seeds grains and legumes and cooked grains with legumes and dehydrated veggies. I have tried al kind of mashes and birdiebreads and different ways to provide veggies for 4 years.but it is hardly eaten. She will eat some catrot zucchini or broccoli from a hanging skewer, but not much.
She doesnt eat pellets in the cage and doesnt eat much overall in the cage. She only eats when out with us in the morning and evening.i don't want her to not eat during the day.it is bad for such a small bird.and what if we are gone till late?
Only thing she will eat in the cage is a low fat organic seedmix with dehydrated herbs and flowers in it. And she will nibble from the veggies on the skewer. I am looking for a natural way to provide missing nutrients.
So i am hoping this supplement is good in small quantities.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I personally would not use it because of how much animal protein is in it. Animal products are linked to increased chances of heart diseases in captive parrots, and seeing as how she is on a mostly seeded diet, she is already at increased risk for that. It's also high in fat which a diet of mostly seeds already has plenty of. It also does not give you any information for things that you really need to know the amounts - Vitamin D3, Vitamin A, calcium, etc.

Ground Flaxseed, Soy Protein Isolate, Freeze Dried Beef Liver, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cane Molasses, Green Peas, Ground Pinto Beans, Rice Bran, Dried Carrot, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Primary Dried Yeast, Apple, Ground Beef Bone, Dried Fish Solubles, Lemon Balm, Ground Cherry, Parsley, Ground Barley Grass, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis
Minimum per ¼ teaspoon (0.75g)

Crude Protein (min.) … 22%
Crude Fat (min.) … 26%
Crude Fiber (max.) … 16%
Moisture (max.) … 10%
Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) (min.) … 30mg
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) (min.) … 90mg

I really like Hagen Prime. https://www.amazon.com/Living-World-Prime-Powder-60-Gram/dp/B0002CKGZK

Ingredients :

Calcium carbonate, L-lysine hydrochloride, citric acid, DL-methionine, magnesium sulfate, calcium gluconate, apple flavor, orange flavor, vitamin E supplement, salt, choline bitartrate, ascorbic acid, sodium citrate, silicone dioxide, manganous sulfate, ferrous sulfate, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, niacinamide, vitamin B12 supplement, zinc oxide, vitamin A supplement, riboflavin, D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, phylloquinone, pyridoxine hydrochloride, copper sulfate, thiamine hydrochloride, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, potassium iodide.

Guaranteed Analysis :

Crude Protein, min. 11.0%
Crude Fat, min. 0.5%
Crude Fiber, max. 0.1%
Moisture, max. 9.0%
Ash, max. 18.0%

Guaranteed Analysis per 1 c.c (per dose 0.55 g) :

Vitamin A 292.6 IU
Vitamin D3 26.4 IU
Vitamin E 6.6 IU
Phylloquinone/Vitamin K1 0.22 IU
Pantothenic Acid 0.291 IU
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 0.44 mg
Folic Acid 0.044 mg
Niacinamide 1.485 mg
Thiamine (Vitamin B1) 0.071 mg
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) 0.148 mg
Vitamin B12 0.951 mcg
Biotin 2.915 mcg
Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 3.685 mg
Choline 8.8 mg
Iodine 0.0055 mg
Iron 0.4455 mg
Manganese 0.6655 mg
Zinc 0.682 mg
Copper 0.0412 mg
Magnesium 5.115 mg
Chloride 5.115 mg
Sodium 5.467 mg
Calcium 22.639 mg
Methionine 29.315 mg
Lysine 41.745 mg
Amylase 17.000 units
Protease 12.800 units
Lactobacillus Acidophilus 3.85 MCFU
Streptococcus Faecium 3.85 MCFU

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
That's a good point! I cannot get hagen in the netherlands.but what do you think about daily essentials 3 combined with calcivet, both used about 2 times a week?

Daily Essentials3 - on food vitamins for birds

Or can you supplement the above diet with only natural stuff like bee pollen, spirulina, wheat grass and RPO? I rather don't use synthetic vitamins.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I can't see the guaranteed breakdown of down of that to know the answer. It looks promising though.

As far as natural stuff, the answer is that yes you can provide some nutrients that way, but, does your bird get outside regularly? Otherwise you are still deficient in Vitamin D3 by using anything other than a D3 supplement or animal proteins.

An article on D3
Small Parrot Toys by Lil Monsters Bird Toys

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
i do not have the possibility to take her outside often enough. she does have a UV light above her cage.
would it be possible to only use the calcivet supplement for magnesium, calcium and vitamin D and provide the other nutrients in a natural way?

I have done some research, and most nutrients, vitamins and minerals are found in a combination of sprouted seeds, grains, legumes and leafy green veggies.
vitamin A can be added with RPO and carrot. vit d and calcium is always a hard one.... leafy greens not eaten here, what about broccoli and zuchini instead?

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
What kind of bird in question? You will be surprised how many good things you can hide in mashes and birdie bread. ;)
Isn't that the truth. That's how we have gotten our birds to eat things they otherwise would not even touch by themselves before hiding it in chops and birdie breads but now they eat it by itself.
veggies whole.jpg veggies chopped.jpg veggies frozen & stored.jpg

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
Guys i have tried everything for 4 years... she isnt eating enough fresh veggies to get all the needed nutrients.

Have found a adres to biy the hagen prome supplement.why do you recomend this one?
Hope there isnt menadione in it?