• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Large Macaw book

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
looks like it is out of print and in demand at $475

I checked Alibris and their prices were the same as Amazon

Michaelg

Riding the Skies
Avian Angel
Real Name
Michael
It was $129.00 new, if I remember correctly. In 1990, when I was in California and shopping for a large macaw, I called Joanne Abramson's macaw selling business twice and left a message each time, but never received a response. My polite message basically was that I was seriously shopping, "now" (which is now, "then"). I bought one from someone else.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Dana64

Walking the driveway
I borrowed a copy from my library (who borrowed it from a local university library)... it is an amazing book. When I got it, I read it from front to back and photocopied parts that were most important to me.... then I sent it back...

Maybe you should try contacting your local library and doing the same thing... if they don't have a copy, they can find one and have access to libraries that the public doesn't have access to (like university libraries)....

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
So its really that good of a book?

What does it talk about? Does it go into detail? The book must be almost 20 years old by now, so does it still have some good information?

Dana64

Walking the driveway
It's the only book in it's "class".... it's almost a reference manual type read. LOTS of professional terminology (no "lay" terms at all).... you have to be pretty well experienced in Macaws to understand alot of what it written.... there is some 10-odd pages just of weight references. That's alot when you think about how BIG this book is.... it's a coffee-table size book and 2 inches thick.

It's got alot of invaluable reference material on emergency macaw care and medical issues.... lots of breeding (from fertilization to weaning) information....

There is an entire chapter on species, pictures and also on hybrids.. they included a section on the extinct and soon-to-be extinct species....

I could go on and on....

If you have the means to purchase the book.... or if you can only borrow it from your library, I would totally recommend each and every Macaw owner to read this book.... you won't be disappointed.... it's not an "easy read" but well worth the information.....

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I used it daily while raising the 3 GW chicks.
Without a doubt, the best resource/reference book for anyone breeding macaws.

A few people we know bought it years ago, but sold their copies as it was intended more from a clinical aspect for macaw breeders.

It has been out of print for years. We've seen it sell on EBay for as high as $1000.

The rumor mill has it that an updated version might be in the works. Not sure how true that is?

The copy I had, belonged to the breeder.
I took the book with me when I met Dr. Speer one of the authors. He signed it and wrote a little note for the breeder!!

Shamrock

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Meredith
WOW! The book does sound like it would be a really good one to have. Too bad it's so expensive or I'd see if I could find a copy for my own collection....of course, if I ever win powerball......:lol:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thanks guys, it'll be a must for my wishlist. I'll make sure I get it one day :)

patagonian

Hit the Road
The book is awesome..they have two copies at a local bird store near me...I looked through it throughly......but i'm not paying 500 bucks for it...it's selling for 500 all the way to over 1,000 on amazon....crazy price!

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
The book is awesome..they have two copies at a local bird store near me...I looked through it throughly......but i'm not paying 500 bucks for it...it's selling for 500 all the way to over 1,000 on amazon....crazy price!
What condition are the ones at the store in Chad, are they new or second hand?

patagonian

Hit the Road
They are not in print anymore...so they are second hand..they belong to one of the asssociates and one belongs to one of the owners...they aren't selling the books!! But the information in that book is just amazing! One of the books is probably worth over 1,000 b/c it's signed by the authors!

Last edited:

TITANIS

So its really that good of a book?
In one word, YES, if you can afford it. If I had the $ I'd get it. It's a great resource for those who are very serious about life-long macaw commitment. If I ever get a RFM, I'd probably seek it out myself. :)

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I had a copy from the GW macaw breeder while I raised his 3 GW chicks.
Also I was able to get it signed by one of the authors, Dr. Brian Speer, when I met him here on Vancouver Island.
He was nice enough to write a little note inside the cover, to the breeder - a great keepsake!
The book itself is a "bible" for anyone raising macaw species. I referred to it countless times during the time I had the 3 GW chicks. Fantastic, although out of print resource.
Rumor has it, an updated version is on the way. Not sure when, or if those plans have changed.

TITANIS

Rumor has it, an updated version is on the way. Not sure when, or if those plans have changed.
The sooner, the better! Now that you mention it, I'll probably hold out until there's confirmation on the rumor. I'd love to see a revised and updated edition! :cool10:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
we have a copy at my work, have never had time to look at it. maybe i can borrow it for a weekend :)

deee

Avenue Veteran
I borrowed a copy from my library (who borrowed it from a local university library)... it is an amazing book. When I got it, I read it from front to back and photocopied parts that were most important to me.... then I sent it back...

Maybe you should try contacting your local library and doing the same thing... if they don't have a copy, they can find one and have access to libraries that the public doesn't have access to (like university libraries)....
I think our library would consider that a referance book.. and wouldnt loan it out.. but could use it while there.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

I think our library would consider that a referance book.. and wouldnt loan it out.. but could use it while there.
usually libraries will let you photocopy reference books as long as it doesn't leave their facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.