• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly on CANARY WING PARAKEETS!

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Ive been waiting for someone to make a good, bad, and ugly on these little guys for a while, but I guess I’ll start!

Good: Snuggles, snuggles, and more snuggles! These guys are little Velcro birds and crave attention. They will bond immensely with you and I have spent many nights with Delilah “kissing” my fingers (complete with kiss sounds). She really loves being kissed and getting scratches as well, I can’t imagine not having night time Delilah snuggles!
BC654542-ACB9-4463-8052-625FB3AACAC7.jpeg

They are extremely playful and goofy. Most toys in Delilah’s cage are quickly torn to bits or thrown into her water dish. She uses her feet like a big bird, no matter how big the toy! It’s so fun to hear her yell in delight as she’s utterly destroying something :hilarious:
009CCBED-854B-4508-8E52-63238D21E815.jpeg

Bad:
They are pretty stubborn, as Porter said! They want what they want! Just today I was nipped badly because I tried to take queen delilah off of her cage. I can’t type with her nearby as nothing will disuade her from biting off the keys.

They are nippy, but rarely draw blood. I have only had blood show once in the year I’ve had her. Their bluffing stage is luckily pretty good, they get a little more nippy at 8 months when they hit maturity, but that’s it.

They WILL hide! I would never leave a CWP unattended! Mine once was left alone for 10 minutes and got herself wedged inside a mattress. I’ve heard of CWPs getting stuck under bookshelf’s, in couch cushions, ect. When outside the cage, they really must be supervised, they just like snuggling and being cosy in a enclosed space and that’s dangerous if you are not around.

The noise can be a problem, they have very shrill voices and yell a lot, especially when playing. It’s like a green cheek conures volume but more often. I’ll try and upload a video of Delilah at her loudest.

Other people have had jealousy problems, but I’ve never had that experience.

Ugly:

Nothing really, I once read in a parrot book that they made “enchanting little companions”, and that’s exactly right. You do, however, have to treat them like much larger birds, they really need lots of love and attention. If given that attention, you will have a bond for life. Delilah is my ESA and I literally cannot imagine life without her, she is so sweet and loving. Trust me, the noise and huge additudes are worth it!

Last edited:

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I own a canary-winged parakeet, so I am going tell the good, the bad, and the ugly on canary-winged parakeets based off my bird Georgie.

The Good- Since the day I met my CWP, she has been very affectionate. She allows me put her on her back, wants to be snuggled constantly, and is relatively quiet. She is quite the velcro bird and she bonded to me instantly when I first met her. She is very playful when she wants to be, but is mostly a perch potato (although keep in mind, this is just her).

The Bad- I have found that Georgie is insanely stubborn, nothing will stop her from getting into stuff. If she wants something, nothing will get in her way! I have been nipped before because she did not want to stop chewing on an iPad case (she loves rubber cases). Another example would probably be training. It is hard to get her to cooperate, because she would rather do something else than try what I am trying to teach her.

They will get nippy at 6 or 8 months depending on the bird, but if is dealt properly it is not big deal. Fortunately, because they are easy to read on their body language once you learn it is easy to avoid bites.

These parakeets can be loud, their voices are high-pitched and when screaming can be very unpleasant. However at least for me, Georgie only screams really loud maybe once or twice a day, but she is relatively quiet and there have been days she has only communicated through whistles and chirps.

I have never personally experienced the hiding, because Georgie absolutely hates it, but I have experienced the jealousy issue. Georgie hates when there are strangers in the house. She will scream for about 15 minutes straight and will bite any stranger that comes near her cage. I have had issues with getting her to accept my younger siblings, but if someone really tried to build a bond with her, they could get her to accept them, because of this, I would recommend socializing more often than other birds.

The Ugly- The only thing that might be ugly is that Georgie gets easily bored with toys, this might be just her, but it can be problem with people who work full time jobs. As a result, to keep her stimulated can be a problem. Other than that, what the internet says is true. They are really sweet and interactive parrots that seek the attention and approval of their owners.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Bump! Any other White Wing Parakeet or Yellow Chevroned Parakeet owners? (I usually just smush both into the CWP category).

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
@AkasyaEllric you have one right? I love your insta posts by the way!:D
Yes sorry, I didn't see this post till now! Also, who are you on IG, I might know but be having a case of the dumbs because I'm tired. :lol:

The Good - Bad - Ugly of Sir Oliver Arrow

Good

He's a very loving guy, and always wants to be around his person (my husband). He can entertain himself pretty well and usually doesn't get to bored of toys for a least a reasonable amount of time. He's super smart too, he learned how to talk very quickly (personal thing for any parrot) and still uses those same phrases, which are kiss, thank you, good boy Ollie, Ollie's a good boy, kiss sound (very frequent in our house among all three parrots), and a bunch more that I can't remember right now. He also LOVES to whisper to you. He loves to also sit on my husbands shoulder as he plays video games, or browses the internet on his computer. He can be very snuggly when he wants to be and would gladly never leave my husbands shoulder if given the chance.

Bad

He is very nippy and lets you know when he isn't happy, but as stated above, the bites aren't that bad. I'm not his person, but I am the one who changes out his toys, so I get bit pretty frequently. He's only broken the skin twice, and bruised me 2 or 3 times in about a year. I always call him soft mouth because even though I know he's trying to be a big mean bird, he doesn't actually hurt me at all. He prefers men, but he's become comfortable with me so we aren't as on bad terms as we were before. He's also pretty dusty so if you're someone with a lung disease or issue they might not be for you. Also very stubborn just like mentioned above.

Ugly

He absolutely hates my daughter. He came from an open cage pet store and he will attack her on site. We've tried to work with him, but she's 9 and afraid and doesn't really want to. He has by passed treats to bite her before. He also screams A LOT. He is loud, and doesn't stop sometimes no matter what we do, he will straight up just keep screaming in your face sometimes. This may be a personal thing but it's so hard to deal with sometimes. Sometimes he just does it because he wants to but he pretty much is guaranteed to do it if we leave the living room (where their cages are). He screams for myself or my husband every time we leave the living room if only one person is home, but if we are both here it's a lessened chance.

Overall he really is a wonderful little bird, but his screaming sometimes really does get to me since I get headaches very easily. I love him either way though and if he doesn't stop I just leave the house sometimes till he calms down. He's a big character, it really is a big bird attitude in a little parrot.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
WOW you are lucky! Mine is much more shrill. It definetly causes your ears to start ringing... sometimes I just need to run to a different room for a while!:faint:

How do you upload a video?
I linked from my facebook page for the boys and embeded it with the video option. That's not his only call, he's much louder and shriller at other times, he has like, 5 or 6 different calls, when he's loud enough I swear my ear drums are going to fall out. :lol: