• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Small Cockatoos

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I've only had Layla my Galah a short time but she is so different than my bare eyed/goffin hybrid was. She's super independent. She is destructo bird with her toys. Only likes an occasional head scratch here and there. Perfectly content hanging out near you and not necessarily on you. She is very quiet but chatters much of the time. She gets loud once a day with her squawking during play. She's intelligent and really brave. Took almost zero time to settle in here. She's selective about who can give her attention. My first real bite came from her last week. Lol. I adore her even with the nasty bite she gave me (I startled her so it was totally my fault).

Jasper the bare-eyed hybrid wasn't destructive and preferred toys he could swing and spin on. He was constantly goofy. Took life less seriously than Miss Layla. He was much less brave. Took him a long time to warm up to new cage toys and perches. He was a Velcro bird and refused independent play if he was out of the cage. Loved to dance, loved his harness, loved to yell:). Was a decent talker but Layla is a bit better at it. Jasper loved his people. My little clown.

Now that I've owned both I prefer the independence of Miss Layla. She is still out of her cage 10 hours a day and we interact doing new and fun things all day long but she also happily plays on her stand when I need to get stuff done. I still would give anything to have my Jasper back though. I miss him every day and can't believe I lost him so tragically.

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
[QUOTE="Smbrds, post: 2342125, member: 17006" Not very many around here.[/QUOTE]
I live in Western Australia, love watching them play in the trees and listen to their sweet calls:xflove:

Catlady

Moving in
Delighted to read about goffins,a type of bird I had not known until meeting my first, little Lily, at the bird hotel where I volunteer. Had I been looking for a bird, a goffin would have been my choice, as they are so sweet and loving and, far as I can tell, not as loud as the large cockatoos. (But I rescued an Amazon who turned out very jealous and possessive, so cannot even foster.) The hotel has 2 resident goffins and frequent goffin boarders, so I see a lot of their behaviors, and it does vary from bird to bird. Some escape artists, some could care less. The residents love to fly around when they are out, the boarders sit quietly on their cages. Have not seen much nippiness and most live for petting, preferring it even to almonds. One resident goffin is a genius bird, as well as creatively destructive, but you have to love him. My avian vet finds them too emotionally demanding, but I find that very lovable. They will pluck their feathers if they become depressed, which I find heart-breaking, so you have to be prepared to give them the love and affection they need. But what wonderful little darlings they are!

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I know all birds are individuals, but generally speaking, how quiet are citron cockatoos? I've heard tell that they're the quietest of the cockatoos, but I also hear the same about galahs. How do the two compare?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Citrons may be on the quieter side of cockatoos, however they can still be very loud.

Zygosis

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
Ok. I got a galah around 3 weeks ago and here is all I know. Please comment and keep this going so we all can learn new things and be able to connect with these guys better!

My guy is called Pinky! He is around 8 months old. I bought a male because I was under the impression that makes talk faster in general. Later I found out that for me as a male it would have been better to buy a female parrot. How accurate is that?
When he came here he said hello or hi once or twice but now he is not talking at all! I have been practicing with him but still nothing.
The fact that ge did speak tells me he can learn and he will speak but I don't know why he stopped!

He is Usually very happy in the mornings and wants a head strach. If I don't do it he will make sounds!
He hates patting on the back but I think he is coming around little by little to accept it.
Sometimes he suddenly bites but I guess maybe he hasn't trusted us fully yet.
He is very quiet which I think is a bit unusual! He only makes an alarming noise when we get out of his sight untill we talk to him so he knows we are there which is normal but other than that he doesn't sing at all.
I just wish I knew how to train him good. I have no idea how to start training him with his toys or to talk or wave or dance for instance. I have seen videos but they really don't tell you how to train a parrot good.
Should I wait so he gets more accustomed to us or should I start? How to start? How to get his attention and stuff like that.
I must also say he does not eat vegetables or fruits at all! He doesn't like them and not used to them. Don't know how to get him to eat these!
I want to treat him but I don't want to use nuts only as they all are fatty.

I guess that's all for now.
Hope to hear from you guys about this!

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How accurate is that?
Not accurate at all.

You need to start a "new" thread with your post so it will get some attention. Not at the end of a very old thread.

Zygosis

Moving in
Real Name
Amir
I can do that I just thought it would be easier for the people who have already posted on this subject.

klcarr892

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kimberly
Citron Crested/ Lesser Sulfer Crested

The Good:
They are smaller and tend to be quieter than other toos though quiet is kind of relative with any kind of parrot.

Mine is very affectionate to me and my dad (when I’m home for a visit) but otherwise isn’t too friendly with others. She is also not very picky and loves pellets, veggies, pasta, etc.

She enjoys one on one time but also enjoys time to herself. I let her explore (supervised) and she has a strange fascination with my kitchen (like just stares up at the appliances)

She gets along well with my dog (better than she gets along with most people).

The Bad:
I wouldn’t necessarily call it bad but her vocabulary is limited. She says “step up” and “pretty bird”.

She loves to chew (especially shoes and my windowsill which I had to reconstruct earlier this year.)

The Ugly:
This could be just my too but she is not afraid to go after people she really doesn’t like. She bit my mom really good once which was my fault for leaving her where she could easily “attack”.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cirons and LSCs seem to be very similar...my Cassie had almost the exact personality traits that you describe.

She was definitely a one person bird...that was me. She was indifferent to men...but absolutely detested all women...especially my wife.
This could be just my too but she is not afraid to go after people she really doesn’t like.
Cass would drive my wife out of the room..and then return to me with this satisfied, smug look on her face...as to say, "Look what I did."

She was my :heart: bird...and always will be...;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
my g2 screamed load could be 2 blocks away I had to rehome becase they were doing after curfew

Lexusblond

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nickie King
That sounds like Madeleine...especially the little sod bit....lol
I got Percy from a breeder when he was a bubba and he has had some medical issues due to not being weaned properly, he turns 2 in April!

Good: He's hilarious, silly, smart, witty, abit weird and quirky, can be cuddly. He loves me the most but he'll sit on knees of other people quite happily and he chats and plays with other people, recently he's taken a shine to my Dad and my little brother. He's super chatty and playful. Mischeivious.

Bad: Can be quite nippy and loud, has days where he's a little sod but then equally I'm not a ray of sunshine all the time so he's allowed to have his moments :lol:

Nothin' ugly about Percy!

chloesmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
diana yougas
Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly: Goffin's Cockatoos.

Thanks. I hope some others will chime in with their experiences.
ok so im chimming in....lol
I have a goffin, her name is CHLOE. she's beautiful but in recent years has started plucking and won't stop. she's a really picky eater, and I've tried it all. I don't know what to do. Ill take any suggestions, at this point I will try anything.
I recently painted her room a mint green from a brick red. Im hoping this helps her cuz I don't know what else to do. vet says she's healthy but to me she looks so skinny. someone help pls. I do cover her at night and always have since she was a baby. I've had her for 27 years since a baby . the silly girl likes Walmart parrot seed, go figure. but everything else she turns her nose up at. even fresh veggies. I give her lafebers pellet balls and she throws those after taking a few bites. pls help me

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
ok so im chimming in....lol
I have a goffin, her name is CHLOE. she's beautiful but in recent years has started plucking and won't stop. she's a really picky eater, and I've tried it all. I don't know what to do. Ill take any suggestions, at this point I will try anything.
I recently painted her room a mint green from a brick red. Im hoping this helps her cuz I don't know what else to do. vet says she's healthy but to me she looks so skinny. someone help pls. I do cover her at night and always have since she was a baby. I've had her for 27 years since a baby . the silly girl likes Walmart parrot seed, go figure. but everything else she turns her nose up at. even fresh veggies. I give her lafebers pellet balls and she throws those after taking a few bites. pls help me
:hello1:
Welcome to the avenue!
You might want to post under just the species, or diet forum to get more replies.
Here is food related forum