• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The feeding of the wizard, or Merlin and veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
So, I have Julio, a 27 year old blue fronted Amazon here for the week. When her owner dropped her off she also dropped off her "cooler" full of fresh fruits and vegetables. Julio is given a big bowl of veggies and fruit every morning. I always give Merlin some of his "mix" which is a base like pasta or rice with frozen vegetables with some cut up fruit on top. I do add vegetables but he doesn't always seem that interested. Julio's owner feels that the mix of colors and textures itself is enriching and she always adds veggies even if Julio doesn't eat them all the time.

Today, when I made Julio's breaky I made Merlin the same thing. MANY vegetables cut up, a few fruits and just a tiny bit of the crazy corn I was going to give him. I also gave him the postage stamp sized peanut butter sandwich that Julio gets. He is LOVING it. He has food all over his face! I also just started giving raw cut up corn cob and he loves that.

I am very excited about this. I think it will be healthier and more variety for him.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thats Great! Variety is best!

Have Merlin and Julio been around eachother? Do they talk to eachother?

Whats it like to have another AMAZON in the house?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Thats Great! Variety is best!

Have Merlin and Julio been around eachother? Do they talk to eachother?

Whats it like to have another AMAZON in the house?
I thought I was giving variety:confused: and I do to some extent but nothing like this, but now that I have tried I will do it more and be much better at it!

Julio is in another room but they can hear each other. She talks and is talking but they don't seem to be calling to each other. I think she more calls to me and Rick.

It is a trip having another Amazon here! Last night was a little scary because when I went to give her a snack she crawled out to the top of her cage and then didn't want to step up. It was really too early for her to be hanging out and I didn't expect it so I didn't stop her. She ung out for a quite a while. I got a perch to see if she would step up on that but it scared her and she flew onto my couch where she happily stepped up:eek: It was a little scary for me:eek: I didn't want to force her or scare her so I felt really bad when she flew off, but I am just starting off today fresh!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
That is great that he tried the new stuff!:highfive:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I thought I was giving variety:confused: and I do to some extent but nothing like this, but now that I have tried I will do it more and be much better at it!
Oh you are, I was just agreeing with your "I think it will be healthier and more variety for him." Your doing great!:hug8:

Julio is in another room but they can hear each other. She talks and is talking but they don't seem to be calling to each other. I think she more calls to me and Rick.

It is a trip having another Amazon here! Last night was a little scary because when I went to give her a snack she crawled out to the top of her cage and then didn't want to step up. It was really too early for her to be hanging out and I didn't expect it so I didn't stop her. She ung out for a quite a while. I got a perch to see if she would step up on that but it scared her and she flew onto my couch where she happily stepped up:eek: It was a little scary for me:eek: I didn't want to force her or scare her so I felt really bad when she flew off, but I am just starting off today fresh!
Your doing good :D How does Merlin like her? Does he display or is he more vocal since she has been there?

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oh you are, I was just agreeing with your "I think it will be healthier and more variety for him." Your doing great!:hug8:

Your doing good :D How does Merlin like her? Does he display or is he more vocal since she has been there?
Oh no, I didn't mean it like that, I know you didn't mean it bad;) I just meant that I really thought I offered a varied diet and I do but not compared to what Julio is offered daily. Seeing what her Mom prepares for her and knowing that she doesn't always eat it, has made me really want to load up more on the veggies and fruit for Merlin and not give quite as much of the mix.

He doesn't even seem to notice, but he must know that there is another parrot in the other room. I am thinking of taking her into the bedroom with me and taking her out again to play on a play tree. I'm a little scared though because she got kind of freaked before but I want to entertain her:)

Status
Not open for further replies.