• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The endless search for a Dusky conure (Aratinga Wendellii)post 2

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Also most good breeders will not breed year round as they don't want their pairs overburdened, and it's not healthy being in a constant hormonal craze. If you are really interested in the Dusky you may need to be more flexible with when you are able to bring it home.
I am, Im honestly just desperate right now and I know its not a good additiude to have with birds, but I lost a huge peice of me the day my little one passed and trying to stay stable mentally without him has been incredibly difficult. Im just looking for a good theraputic bird that is social, and a good apartment addition that will not overload the constraints of noise level we are allowed to have. Covid has been driving me nuts, im inside all the time because of health issues, and I dont have the sweet beak screams to let me know I am still there and I am ok. Im honestly just all over the place currently, but Im trying my bestest!

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Why not one of the Pyrrhura conures like a GCC or maroon-bellied?
They are generally quieter than a Dusky (Aratinga weddellii). My Dusky, Jaden, can get very loud and go on like that for hours.
I remember one day when my mom came to visit and he wouldn't stop and she asked if he would ever shut up
because she was getting a headache. I think he was just excited to see his "grandma". He liked my mom a lot.
When I'm on the phone he also gets very loud and noisy. My previous DC was on the quiet side compared to Jaden.
Jaden is very mischievous and has escaped from his cage a few times. With his previous cage I had to tape down the seed
guard because he figured out how to lift it up and push out the dishes in order to come out.

Have you considered any of the Poicephalus? My Senegal and red-bellied parrots are definitely quieter than my current DC.
The females I have are affectionate although Claudé can be a little nippy but Sophie is SUPER sweet and is friendly
towards everybody. Brown-headed parrots ( Poicephalus cryptoxanthus ) are generally
supposed to have mellow personalities so maybe you could check those out as an option.
Im looking at brown headeds right now and I think they are indeed maybe a fantastic fit whats your personal experience with these little ones?

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Your description was my green cheek.

And my Jardine's.

And on many days my Hahns.

I think you need to go meet some birds so you can find a bird that actually has those traits vs the picture perfect idea that you have of the Dusky. What if you get one and they aren't like that at all? Birds are not bred for traits like dogs have been.

Dusky are not very popular as they are unfortunately "drab" compared to other species. Breeders follow the money/demand.
I know, I was just looking into good compainion birds for an apartment, and that was the first one that popped up on the raydar. I understand the individual will be vastly different from the description. Thats why im asking you guys to help me find an alternate good fit as a companion bird that works in an apartment. I wouldnt know whats quiet enough because I mainly only work with very common parrots, like cockateils budgies, quakers, Gcc, sun, macaws, cockatoos and one time I got to interact with an AG. My frame of refrence is very small because where i live exotic birds are not common pets. So when I do see interact or work with these birds they are all very prevalant species. I would absolutely love to meet more birds, that are a little less common that I think indivually are fantastic. But im not looking for something as rare as a golden conure or something rediculously far fetched. A common bird will do, maybe a little less common like senegal or brownheads. I understand parrot demand is determined by size and color for purchase or pricing, im going for any bird thats social and would be good in an apartment.

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
I’d definitely try out visiting a rescue. Sometimes, our hearts decide on a totally different bird than what our head was thinking of!

In my opinion, that kind of parrot doesn’t exist. Or they’re at least few and far between.

Disposition varies greatly between even birds of the same species.
Many won’t be cuddly, nor confident and some scream often just for the fun of it. Others decide that humans just aren’t their cup of tea. Birds are all individuals like people and especially when dealing with young birds, there’s just no telling who they’re gonna be until they mature.
On this point - adopting an older bird is fantastic for many reasons. One is so you already roughly know that bird’s personality and if they’ll fit into your lifestyle well.

My advice is that it may be better to start your relationship off with less expectations of who your future bird should be.
Not criticizing you here. But I do think having an open mind would set you and your parrot up for success down the road. Wishing you luck in your search!
I believe I made a really scrambled request on what i was looking for, i didnt mean to make it complex or confusing but i realize my mistake with that. Im just looking for a social bird that would work well in an apartment. I really really want to get out and go see and interact with more birdies i wouldnt consider trust me thats first prioreity but covid has changed pretty much all of that for me so I guess ill just have to wait until quarentine manadate and mask manadate are a lot less prevelant in everyday life. Because it makes bird adoption much harder, i can only see them from a distance or i cannot even go in which is a real shame but i respect healthcare so i follow the rules. :(

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
That is going to be an incredibly hard combination to find in a bird, not least because some of these contradict each other. An affectionate bird is going to want their flock around them and won't be happy on their own for long periods of time. A calm bird (a perch potato) is not likely to be energetic and, indeed, is more likely to suffer long term health problems if not sufficiently active. A bird that is strongly bonded to you is unlikely to want the company of other people. A bird that is cuddly is likely to see you as their mate, and with that comes all sorts of behavioural problems.

Are you quite sure you want a bird? The traits you seek are more likely to be found in a calm older dog or cat. Honestly, when I think of an animal that's calm, affectionate, mellow and content to hang out and be spoiled, I think of rescue greyhounds.

If you are absolutely certain that you want a bird and nothing else, I think your best chance is finding an older bird who already has these traits. Parrots haven't been selectively bred for particular traits and there will be a wide range of individual personalities within a single species. Getting a baby is a gamble as you have no idea what their adult personality will be like. An older bird, past puberty, is likely to be more settled in terms of personality.
Ive done birds for a number of years, im sorry my description is all over the place! Im just looking for a well rounded parrot that would do well with socialbility and apartment constraints. I know that birds are wild animals, I promise you from bird owner to bird owner im not going in blind. I have lots of experience with parrots and I understand that you can have a very vastly different personaility in individuals than just their generalized species description, like a very vocal gcc or a quiet sun conure. I am looking into rescues for birdies as well normally i would be adopting or going to a store to interact but covid has changed all of that and my last parrot sadly passed very recently. He was a special needs birdy and needed a lot of medical attention frequently because of the severity of his condition and the fact that it primarly displayed itself as nerological disfunction through symptoms. He was highly attaxic and was extremely sezuire prone. Ideally id like to continue to work with special birdies that are physically special or behaviorally special forever but right now I dont have the money to support that dream and its particularly stressful with covid changing everything. My close relatives agree that I should probably work with healthy hardy birdies until i get a bit more financially stable to sustain those vet bills. I dont do dogs or cats, I have never connected on the level with dogs or cats then i have working with birds. What actually drew me to birds was the fact that they are inheirently wild animals so they are very true to their additudes and personailities and sometimes they will take a chomp and you have to be ok with that and curb with training. I want you to know that i never ever make a whim purchase with these animals and read and research hours and socialize before i actually take a birdy home.( I also usually only have about 2 birds in my home at a time) I know they all have complex dietary needs and all have different levels of tolerance for interaction and or uncomfortable tasks like administering medicine. Thank you!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for the loss of your cockatiel.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im looking at brown headeds right now and I think they are indeed maybe a fantastic fit whats your personal experience with these little ones?
I have no experience with brown headed parrots. According to what I've read, they are one of the mellower Poicephalus.
Only have experience with a Senegal parrot and several red-bellied parrots.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Omars in Southern California sells duskies. You might want to call them to see when they expect to have another clutch available.

Last edited:

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Remember that weather that was awful for Texas and the south a few months ago? The freeze? Many breeders lost power to incubators and brooders for days. Some breeders were able to pre sell babies and get them out of state, to store owners and fanciers who could raise brand new hatchlings up. But many, many breeders had chicks and eggs perish. Three breeders of Dusky that I know all had major losses. If you can wait, next year will be better- God willing.

Kaupasetic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rhonda
Ive done birds for a number of years, im sorry my description is all over the place! Im just looking for a well rounded parrot that would do well with socialbility and apartment constraints. I know that birds are wild animals, I promise you from bird owner to bird owner im not going in blind. I have lots of experience with parrots and I understand that you can have a very vastly different personaility in individuals than just their generalized species description, like a very vocal gcc or a quiet sun conure. I am looking into rescues for birdies as well normally i would be adopting or going to a store to interact but covid has changed all of that and my last parrot sadly passed very recently. He was a special needs birdy and needed a lot of medical attention frequently because of the severity of his condition and the fact that it primarly displayed itself as nerological disfunction through symptoms. He was highly attaxic and was extremely sezuire prone. Ideally id like to continue to work with special birdies that are physically special or behaviorally special forever but right now I dont have the money to support that dream and its particularly stressful with covid changing everything. My close relatives agree that I should probably work with healthy hardy birdies until i get a bit more financially stable to sustain those vet bills. I dont do dogs or cats, I have never connected on the level with dogs or cats then i have working with birds. What actually drew me to birds was the fact that they are inheirently wild animals so they are very true to their additudes and personailities and sometimes they will take a chomp and you have to be ok with that and curb with training. I want you to know that i never ever make a whim purchase with these animals and read and research hours and socialize before i actually take a birdy home.( I also usually only have about 2 birds in my home at a time) I know they all have complex dietary needs and all have different levels of tolerance for interaction and or uncomfortable tasks like administering medicine. Thank you!

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
This is a breeder local to where I am. He breeds a number of conures. I don't see dusky on his website but I also don't think he updates his website often. You can perhaps contact him and ask, and if he doesn't, he might know someone that does have them. Silverniteaviary.com
Ooo thank you Ill definitely call him and see if he still does clutches or knows anyone who does, which state is silvernite in?

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Remember that weather that was awful for Texas and the south a few months ago? The freeze? Many breeders lost power to incubators and brooders for days. Some breeders were able to pre sell babies and get them out of state, to store owners and fanciers who could raise brand new hatchlings up. But many, many breeders had chicks and eggs perish. Three breeders of Dusky that I know all had major losses. If you can wait, next year will be better- God willing.
I had no idea! Thats awful with the strong freeze us here in kansas had a pretty bad time too, a lot of us lost power and had to keep our birds at the rescue / at vet offices / or a drop off for a week! It was bad stuff I had no idea it affected the breeding world too! I should probably keep a look out until next year and hopefully soon i can volunteer at the rescue once they start letting people back in, covid has pretty much changed everything about going to the avi vet or going to the rescues so I havent been able to get in yet but im at the top of their list! Thanks fot telling me I never would have known! Thats quite devastating :(

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
Omars in Southern California sells duskies. You might want to call them to see when they expect to have another clutch available.
Do they ship? I have looked at omars, I know they are reputable but I'm not sure if they ship otherwise Id totally be up for it. But I dont think i can do a road trip for that long without the bird being pretty uncomfortable, and I really dont want an overheated birdy or the baby to get sick while on the road. So i am careful and intentional when i choose to pick up, cause a drive that long would be way to stressful, for me and the baby. Not to say that shipping isnt any safer, but most of the time its only 1-2 flights and they are low to the ground although its still pretty stressful. And im just hoping that shipping in those cabins means those little ones dont get cold drafts and have heating, cause that could make a chilly bird fast and those altitudes.

Sweetbeak

Meeting neighbors
I have no experience with brown headed parrots. According to what I've read, they are one of the mellower Poicephalus.
Only have experience with a Senegal parrot and several red-bellied parrots.
Ive heard that sennies are pretty much along the same temperment range, what are they like? Whats their favorite foods are they picky, do they actually like to be on their backs ive only ever seen them in video and I thought caiques did that voluntarily. Hows their handiability score and hardiness score? Are they just happy by seeing you do they give you little contact calls to say mum mum where are youuu? Do they work well as social birds, like if i introduced one to me mum or my sister theyd get along most of the time? Or do i have to worry about them becoming one person birdies? Do they like a good scratch, do they beg for the scratches :) im curious to know. Do they need a lot of toys? If so what types of toys are their favorite, are they more food motivated or more location motivated when it comes to training? Are they are bit more confident when it comes to introductions if taken care of properly? What does a sennies diet mainly consist of in the wild and how do we apply that to viariety on the table at home. Are they ground foragers picking out mostly seed and some sprouts or insects? Or more tree foragers that go for fruit nuts or flowers and eat some tree bud sprouts. Do sennies enjoy spray baths or dish baths? Or showers? Do they sometimes get partied out and fall asleep on you, or are they always awake and playing and scrambling to some seeb. Are they more mellow like if i was at the table doing work on the computuer or paper theyd chill out on my shoulder, maybe once or twice try to get my attention and say hi mum I'm here too, dont you like me mum? I do not like your screen it gets more attention than me at the moment and it displeases me :mad: or are they more like ringnecks in the ooo whats this and can i break it mentaility? Tell me your fondest memories with these babies, do they make you laugh?

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Do they ship? I have looked at omars, I know they are reputable but I'm not sure if they ship otherwise Id totally be up for it. But I dont think i can do a road trip for that long without the bird being pretty uncomfortable, and I really dont want an overheated birdy or the baby to get sick while on the road. So i am careful and intentional when i choose to pick up, cause a drive that long would be way to stressful, for me and the baby. Not to say that shipping isnt any safer, but most of the time its only 1-2 flights and they are low to the ground although its still pretty stressful. And im just hoping that shipping in those cabins means those little ones dont get cold drafts and have heating, cause that could make a chilly bird fast and those altitudes.
There's a number that you can call. Go onto their website and search for duskies. The phone number is in the description paragraph.
What I did notice is that they have all their birds 'out of stock'. Not quite certain what that means, but at least give them a call and start from there.

I've had several birds shipped and all did fine!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Find a quality bird store. Most members won't agree with that, but there are some out there. Ask if they can get you a dusky. They'll have resources with breeders who only sell to stores. I've seen several at In A Pickle in Cleveland, Ohio, and they're a neat little bird. As @Mizzely said, they are not bred widely any more because the majority of people want crimson bellies, GC mutations, and suns. However, they're out there.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ive heard that sennies are pretty much along the same temperment range, what are they like? Whats their favorite foods are they picky, do they actually like to be on their backs ive only ever seen them in video and I thought caiques did that voluntarily. Hows their handiability score and hardiness score? Are they just happy by seeing you do they give you little contact calls to say mum mum where are youuu? Do they work well as social birds, like if i introduced one to me mum or my sister theyd get along most of the time? Or do i have to worry about them becoming one person birdies? Do they like a good scratch, do they beg for the scratches :) im curious to know. Do they need a lot of toys? If so what types of toys are their favorite, are they more food motivated or more location motivated when it comes to training? Are they are bit more confident when it comes to introductions if taken care of properly? What does a sennies diet mainly consist of in the wild and how do we apply that to viariety on the table at home. Are they ground foragers picking out mostly seed and some sprouts or insects? Or more tree foragers that go for fruit nuts or flowers and eat some tree bud sprouts. Do sennies enjoy spray baths or dish baths? Or showers? Do they sometimes get partied out and fall asleep on you, or are they always awake and playing and scrambling to some seeb. Are they more mellow like if i was at the table doing work on the computuer or paper theyd chill out on my shoulder, maybe once or twice try to get my attention and say hi mum I'm here too, dont you like me mum? I do not like your screen it gets more attention than me at the moment and it displeases me :mad: or are they more like ringnecks in the ooo whats this and can i break it mentaility? Tell me your fondest memories with these babies, do they make you laugh?
I only have one Senegal so I can only make statements regarding his behavior. Jake was always outgoing and friendly towards all, both humans and birds. He has become a bit grumpy with age and a little bit skittish. He's 35 so I'm OK with this. Even humans become grumpier as they get older. :) Jake talks, whistles and does sound effects (creaking door which is creepy). He eats a combination of Volkman Avian Science Cockatiel no sunflower & AS Super Hookbill, Senior Nutriberries and veggies as well as Avian Organics baked treats and Lafeber popcorn. He's not a big fruit eater and I have to be careful feeding fruit any way because when I do that I get ants. He is not a fan of being misted and takes baths in his water dish. I feel that Jake is generally mellow and has a good temperament. He doesn't chew up or destroy his toys as much as he did when he was younger. His favorite thing to do is swing. When he was younger he did play on his back frequently. He would hold a toy in his feet while lying on his back. He would also lie on his back in the palm of my hand. He is OK being out of his cage. He doesn't bug the other birds. He has no issues hanging out with me for long periods of time.