• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Temporary foster

friendlyreesy

Sprinting down the street
We have been temporarily fostering one of these lovely birds. I had never seen nor heard of one until we picked up Connor. At first his fan reminded me of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park who spit acid and kind of creaped me out a bit. But now I find it really pretty. He talks or makes noise non stop. He is either whistling, singing, acting like a dog, coughing, kissing, or using one of his many many words. He will let us know when his water is dirty and needs to be changed by saying "water" over and over. Even when he eats he is making noise...sheeez. I get warn out just watching how active this guy is. He eats a lot. Loves his morning fruits, veggies and seeds. We feel like we live in a jungle. At night we were covering him up to cut back on the stimulation but he would make these really really sad noises like a toy running out of batteries. So last night we left him open and he did fine. Such a beautiful unusual bird. I think with some time he will turn into a real sweetheart. He wants to interact with his environment very much.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
They are not for everyone I must say. As you see, I love them.:heart: If you just let them sound off throughout the morning and evening, they are usually the first one into their bed at night. Thanks for taking him in, and hope he finds a perfect new home.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Where's the phooootooooo? :rolleyes:

friendlyreesy

Not the best pics but what I can get right now. Don't want to stress him out. he is so sweet. Hands off right now but he keeps blowing kisses trying to get my attention. It is so cute. When he goes to his permanent foster I am going to miss him.

Attachments

Buckbeak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I had only seen a very plucked HH in person until just this passed Saturday when my boss's son brought his into the store for the day. BEAUTIFUL and so much bigger than I remember. Connor looks just like Phoenix (the other HH) and makes me so interested in meeting more. :heart:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Beautiful and so unusual. Thanks for taking care of him.

hawkygal

Avenue Veteran
Aww he sounds just like our little guy with all his talking hee hee. Our guy loves to vocalize into a fresh wet branch of Kale :) I've never found vocalizing at night to be a problem with them though. They are usually the first ones to want to go to bed. Our guy gets quite distraught if his light is not promptly turned off early in the evening :)

There good chewers too and love soft pine and or Bolsa wood :) I've found that are guy usually is drawn to smaller type toys oh and anything vine, like safe vine balls and wreaths. Just in case you need any advice on toys for him :)

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:heart::heart::heart:

Such a sweet boy! I love the picture! I need to live vicariously through you lucky HH people until my girl can come home.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
We have been temporarily fostering one of these lovely birds. I had never seen nor heard of one until we picked up Connor. At first his fan reminded me of the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park who spit acid and kind of creaped me out a bit. But now I find it really pretty. He talks or makes noise non stop. He is either whistling, singing, acting like a dog, coughing, kissing, or using one of his many many words. He will let us know when his water is dirty and needs to be changed by saying "water" over and over. Even when he eats he is making noise...sheeez. I get warn out just watching how active this guy is. He eats a lot. Loves his morning fruits, veggies and seeds. We feel like we live in a jungle. At night we were covering him up to cut back on the stimulation but he would make these really really sad noises like a toy running out of batteries. So last night we left him open and he did fine. Such a beautiful unusual bird. I think with some time he will turn into a real sweetheart. He wants to interact with his environment very much.
​Can only adopters from Oregon apply, once he's evaluated and settled?

friendlyreesy

I will get you the contact information for the rescue group so you can ask your questions. I am still new to the group and haven't been involved in the adoption process other than my own two birds.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Awww he sounds soo cute! I hope he finds himself his forever home soon!

friendlyreesy

From what I have heard from his new foster home..he has blossomed and is now a total hands on bird. He now comes out of his cage and flies around. Is not bothered by the other birds, loves scritches and snuggles. Is just a love...really come out of his shell. I am trying to plan a trip to see him soon before he finds a new home.