• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me everything.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
a new Parrotlet mum needs to know please.
I have just had confirmation from Stefano the Parrotlet guy that I have a baby girl reserved and hes asked me to collect her on 20th August!!!!!
I have 2 weeks to get everything sorted out, Im excited and nervous and still worried for Indy.
Its nice because my anniversary is 19th, and I would have been with Alan 6 years, so she will be extra special.
Currently in my head she is called Dotty Vi, Dotty as in crazy, mad etc and Vi after my nan Violet.
Where do I start? I have been secretly doing research for the last week.
Cage Size
Food
What to expect

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
My guy is in a cage that is 30"x18" and he uses EVERY inch of that space. Parrotlets are very busy and active! Lots and lots of toys, swings. My parrotlet isn't a huge fan of wood, but loves whicker, plastic toys, and BELLS!

This is his favorite toy in all the world, and he sleeps on it as well. p-28162-38124-bird.jpg

They can be loud, but it's only in short bursts. My Rocco is a great talker, though some parrotlets won't talk at all. He loves scritches and pets, he loves to be on me allll the time. He does like to bite :D but it's usually only for certain reasons and not out of nowhere.

Parrotlets are amazing - feisty, bold, fearless, affectionate, funny....People say they are amazon parrots in tiny bodies. :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I don't know anything personally about these little beauties, but congrats!

Ginger

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Kacey covered it pretty well, my little guy LOVES bells and rings and swings :)

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Ok well thats pretty much settled then, I think I can handle a Parrotlet, they sound almost like having Indy but smaller and zippier.It will be an adventure I know that for sure, now to break the news to my mum and ask her premission...Helen as you are local, where do you suggest I get a cage? Ive tried Pinnions, next step is Nottcuts?

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Ok well thats pretty much settled then, I think I can handle a Parrotlet, they sound almost like having Indy but smaller and zippier.It will be an adventure I know that for sure, now to break the news to my mum and ask her premission...Helen as you are local, where do you suggest I get a cage? Ive tried Pinnions, next step is Nottcuts?
Ah the good old asking for permission step, honestly, my parents - especially my Dad - were really against birds in cages, he presumed that every caged bird lived a horrible life and that they all had no personalities .. how he's changed his opinion! It's hard not to love a parrotlet!
Hmmm cage is a hard one. As parrotlets are small so they can't have a big space between the bars because they can get out, but they have the energy of a parrot and use the entire cage so putting them in a small budgie cage won't work. I honestly look online so I know the exact cage size and the size between the bars. Around here they really don't sell decent sized cages, Nottcutts has a selection of cages, but when I went looking there for my parrotlet, I found the bar spaces were too big,the bars were vertical (which they find hard to climb on) or the cage was too small or the cage had the world's tiniest door to open.
So I'd suggest here: Home it's my FAVOURITE store for the UK, with lots of different types of cages/toys/food/suppliments all at reasonable prices, and they're very high quality and deliver very quickly. But it also depends on the space you have available to put the cage. Also Ebay, but obviously if you get one from there wash it really well. I'd also avoid Hagen cages, because the gaps are big and I'm still paranoid Pepe will oneday try to squeeze his head through, plus hagen cages are usually cramped.
What colour p'let are you getting?

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I think I will be ok with mum as she let me get Indy and she knows how much I miss him, she always said no to another bird when I had him, but I dont have him now. I went to Notcutts today and I was really suprised because not only did they have the usual budgie sized cages, they had bigger parrot sized cages, so Ive ordered one that is over 30 inches square and on a stand, it cost more than I wanted at £100 but it was a really good cage. She is green. :)

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Ah that's good :D they musta just been low on stock when I went in to see :) can't wait to see the set up :D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I know nothing about P'lets, but wanted to say congratulations!!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I adore my GR p'let, Milo! Are you getting a pacific or a green rump? They're both great, but the pacifics are going to be feistier and slightly larger than the green rumps. Milo loves to chew on leather and his swing. My suggestion would be to get a variety of toys to try out so that you can figure out what sort he likes.

Congratulations!:heart:

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Hi Jenny. She will be a pacific/celestial, as far as I know she is green as the baby pics only showed one Lutino. Im a bit nervous about a hen as Ive never had one before. Ive started collecting toys already. Ive got some plastic canary toys, do they last long with p'lets?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Milo hasn't destroyed any of his plastic toys, but he does love to tear apart anything fibrous! He hasn't all out destroyed anything yet, but I'm also not sure how destructive plets normally are. I'm sure you'll do great with her! What sort of a diet is she going to be weaned onto?

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
Thankyou Jenny, Im not sure yet, I will have to speak to Stefano about it, he has quite a lot of into on his website though.
Home

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It looks like he generally has the right idea for diet, although it does seem like there are a lot of carbs with using both the bread and the brown rice. What sort of diet are your current fids on?

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I dont have any because Indy ran away :(
My mums in the avriary are mainly seed with fruits and veggies.

HelenVanessaDavies

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Oh No Tammy what have you done!! Posting the breeders website on here...must...resist..parrotlet...cuteness!
My little guy is on a mix of seed, veg, fruit and he occasionally gets brown rice (it's his favourite!)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I love parrotlets. My Squid is amazingly sweet, fun and very playful! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.