• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about parrotlets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindsey88

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
lindsey
For those that have one I would love to hear your experience with them. I have always been fascinated by them. I actually was going to get one before I adopted Yoshi but he chose me instead, then I was going to get one but my bcc fell into my lap. Now i seriously still want one and I think the only thing that is going to cure that is to get one! Tell me about them, are they cuddly, sweet, affectionate? I know they are clowns. do they enjoy scritches and being held? There is a nearby bird store who I LOVE they breed parrotlets and handraise them, you can put a deposit on the bird you want and keep paying for the bird until the day it is weaned.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
For those that have one I would love to hear your experience with them. I have always been fascinated by them. I actually was going to get one before I adopted Yoshi but he chose me instead, then I was going to get one but my bcc fell into my lap. Now i seriously still want one and I think the only thing that is going to cure that is to get one! Tell me about them, are they cuddly, sweet, affectionate? I know they are clowns. do they enjoy scritches and being held? There is a nearby bird store who I LOVE they breed parrotlets and handraise them, you can put a deposit on the bird you want and keep paying for the bird until the day it is weaned.
I've had a parrolet for 4 years and I absolutely adore him! He is very friendly, well-behaved, silly....he LOVES scritches and to snuggle into my neck. When he's snuggling he makes the cutest little cooing noises and talks in this little voice...oh it makes my heart melt every time! He is very clingy and always wants to be on me...

He is very smart. He does flight recall and can say tons of words and phrases! He doesn't scream...he also is not a one person bird. My fiance did not interact much with him when he was a baby, but he lets my fiance hold him, feed him, he'll sit on my fiance's shoulder. However, he won't snuggle with him, that is reserved for me.

They also aren't super demanding. My guy has a large cage filled with toys, and he is happy as can be in there. He loves to be out, but he doesn't scream or get neurotic being in the cage while I'm working or on vacation.

He is just a GREAT little friend!!

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I had one for a little while, I say these guys are FEISTY! Some people love attitude in such a tiny bird, while others get annoyed terribly. Although they can't shriek, they are capable for making non-stop irritating beeps. They do love to get in trouble though I've noticed.. I always had to watch out where he'd end up!

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
My guy's not cuddley yet, you can see he would like a scritch but he's had a rough past and still is anxious about being touched, but he's getting braver by the day. I've only had one parrotlet, but I don't regret it at all, it was love at first sight. He's adventurous, he'll explore new toys and food, he's interested in what you're doing (but ofcourse you have to be looking at him :p ). He's a complete clown, loves hanging upside down and swinging and has a serious bell fetish. He knows quite alot of words, when he's excited he says them very fast and in a very high voice it's so cute! He's clever, he keeps managing to undo clasps (which I didn't think a diddy parrot could do), undoes pegs and his current mission is to try and undo the budgie's swings while he's having out of cage play time. He can be nauty, but in a cheeky way not in a "Oh good god why!?" way, I used to half cover the budgie cage because he loves to wind up the big girl Chickie, he was scared of the sheet at first, but he soon discovered he could pull it off, go under it and walk around the cage under the sheet. He's the casanova of my flock, he loves Archie and does his sexy dance for him and talks sweetly to him and when I had Buttercup he's also fly over to her cage and chat her up. :D I loooove him!

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I have two of them. One is a male, and is a one person bird, only lets me hold him. But with me, he is very gentle, cuddly and affectionate. He will bite anyone else though! The other one is a female and she is very outgoing and friendly, with everyone...loves attention and is in constant motion. She is extremely active and playful and curious, and is a velcro bird...would be with me 24/7 if she could. She has attitude though and can be nippy and get overly excited during playtime. she doesnt break skin with her bites, but they can pinch and feel uncomfortable. They are both great birds, can out eat any bird in the house...these guys LOVE food...and are adorable to watch and interact with. I just love my plets!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have had two parrotlets

Kiwi was a rehome and it took a while for us to form a relationship. Once we did, wow was it great! She was my little baby, my shadow. Once I opened the door, she would step up to my hand and she loved to snuggle there. She enjoyed her kissed I would give her all over. She was an amazing little girl so full of life. Unfortuately she developed egg problems and then cancer....we tried chemo treatments which did give us more time, but last June she lost her battel:( I miss her terribly.

Soon after, I took home Maya, omg what a sweet and spunky little girl! She is sooo full of energy, always on the go flying or playing with her toys. She is special needs as she is missing part of her upper beak and three toes on one foot, but those disabilities do not stop her from living a happy normal life! She flies out of her cage to her stand and then to me and loves to hang out on my chest or shoulder near my face so I can give her kisses. I adore this little girl!

Parrotlets are such great birds!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrotlets are fairly territorial, although they can also be sweet. It depends on the bird. I have
two: one is a little gentleman, very bright and affectionate; the other is a little roughneck female, nippy and feisty. The females can sometimes be more nippy and temperamental than the males, but not always. Personally, I think parrotlets can be either good pets or difficult little nipsters, depending on the individual, because that has been my experience.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Maya's favorite new toy is the big red hanging talking phone with a mirror. She loves to look at herself and press the buttons to hear it talk.

Pumpkin

Real Name
Tracy
I have two, a male & a female. My female is as sweet as apple pie. lol My male is sweet but does not like hands. He talks a mean streak though. lol They are both very quiet birds & very nice to have. The make the least mess out of all of my fids. :) I love them!!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I have had the pleasure of sharing my life with Bodie for almost 13 years. He is very sweet at times and other times he can be a pitbull bird. They can and will deliver a good bite, but that is always do to my error. He will protect his house if you try to mess with it while he is in there. They are fast flyers and learn quickly. I would not trade him for the world. Bodie is like an Amazon it a tiny package!:kiss2:

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
I had a parrotlet for almost 8 years. She crossed over the rainbow bridge last month.:sad5: She was a wonderful companion bird, who often accompanied me on road trips. I agree with all the comments above. Keep in mind that each bird has its own personality, and its behavior also depends on how it was reared and genetics. My bird was hand-reared by a very knowledgeable person and I adopted her about 3 months after hatching. She was the friendliest p'let in the clutch. She bonded to me immediately, but was also friendly with other people. So, I had all the right ingredients for a great relationship with a parrotlet. :starshower:
I love parrotlets, but decided to adopt a Linnie rather than get another p'let. I was afraid if I got another p'let I'd keep comparing her or him to Lilly and that wouldn't be fair to the new p'let. So, I'm taking a break with a different (but similar) species and enjoying my new companion bird.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Parrotlets are great little birds. They don't demand much and love to play with their toys. Mine is going to be 12 yrs old the end of June and I have had him since he was 6 weeks old. They amazingly know their people and when you have a bird that trusts you like mine does it's great. He's moved with me a few times, and is so well adjusted as a traveler. He is truly like my larger Amazons, just tiny. They LOVE to eat, eat just about anything and they are very fond of cooked foods.

He's the little bean in the middle in my sig. :heart:

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
I have 2 Parrotlets, one female that hates hands and is not social, but she is a resuce and I don''t know about her life before us..Then there is my little boy who is loveable, sweet, and love to be with me. I love these birds more than any other type I have owned ..

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
The local breeder has a pair of parrotlets, every time I'm in there, I just want to leave with them. One of these days... :)

BirdsFTW

Real Name
Maya
I have a friend on the mainland with them and she said her's is more aggressive than her lovebirds.

I will, unfortunately, never have any experience with parrotlets since they're illegal... :(

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Plets are more aggressive than other birds, especially the Pacific parrotlets (which are most likely what the pet store breeds, they are the most commonly found plet from breeders) and have big personalities in their tiny bodies... With that in mind, I will say that I have only had Milo (a green rumped plet) since June 18th, and I am in absolute love with him. He is challenging and so adventurous! He was chirping and eating on the car ride home, even though he had just flown halfway across the country! He was ready to come out of his cage and explore the second day we had him, and even allowed scritches then! He's been such a character, right now his thing is to ride on my hands as I type. If he sees me at the keyboard he comes running! :lol: Right now we're working through him being a picky eater, although he does love his cooked legumes and fresh corn and snow peas! Long story short.... I love him to death and definitely think you should look into getting one ;)
DSC01471.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.