• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tango1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
My precious little lovebird is the only bird I've ever seen that doesn't use her talon's to hold onto food while eating so it doesn't fall. Is this normal behavior for a lovebird? She will take one bite and the rest falls to the floor. Also, broccoli is the only veggie I can get her to eat, and she won't touch fruits other than the dried fruits and nuts that are made especially for birds. Any suggestions?

AZReno

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lynn
Start her on wheatberry sprouts....they ahve an amazing way of opening up food phobias for my lovebirds. Also, try chopped baby spring greens. Fruits is not really something to worry about, high in sugar. Lovebirds rarely use their feet for more than perching and climbing, I will see them using their feet to hold onto something they're chewing on if it is long enough for them to put their foot on (generally not food) but that's about it.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
just keep trying..chop u p the veggies fruit finely and leave them in a separate bowl...only for a couple of hours each day to prevent them from going bad...persistence is the key...

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have only ever had two lovies and one tiel who held food in their foot to eat it. They are more like foragers on the ground and in the trees. It was one reason I wanted a poicephalus species bird; I wanted a bird that held food with their foot to eat it. Stupid reason to get a bird, but a very fortuitous decision since Sunshine Senegal has become my avian alter ego.:dance4:

BirdsFTW

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maya
Lovebirds aren't built to hold food/toys in their feet to eat/play. Their legs are further back on their bodies than most other parrots. I have seen some lovebirds "hold down" their food/toy with their foot, but I would guess few (if any) can actually hold something with their talons and bring it up to their beak.

As for getting your lovebird to eat fresh foods, I agree with the suggestions above: sprouts and chop the veggies/fruits smaller. You may also want to try to get your bird to eat veggies/fruits by putting it into mash or birdy breads.

Tango1

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marty
As precious as Tango is, I have to take her out of her cage whenever putting a skewer with fresh food on it, or, for that matter whenever I'm doing anything in her cage. Otherwise, she bites me like a vengeance. I've been trying to teach her not to bite for a very long time with no success. She knows what the word "no" means and will respond briefly.
Also, she tends to vigorously shake her head up and down. I think she's telling me she wants to be with me. She doesn't seem distressed when she does it.
I would like to teach her some tricks using treats, but, from day one, she has refused to eat out of my fingers (as a matter of fact she gets really ticked when I try). Plus I haven't found any treats that she likes. Don't know what that's all about. She really is a sweetheart, but does have a mind of her own. The only two people she really responds to is me and my daughter (and she doesn't even live here). She's definitely exposed to a social setting on a daily basis, and sees many people. I take her to work with me at a barber shop and her cage is right in my station. Don't worry, we don't use chemical.
She's very persnickety. Is that normal for love birds? I've heard different stories. I've heard that they are very lovable, and I've heard that they can be ornery. She's only 51/2 months old, so maybe I'm just being to inpatient, wanting her to do to many things at once. I have a 12 yr. old grandson and a 4 yr. old grandson that I would like her to favorably respond to, but, so far she tries to bite them when they attempt the "step up" routine. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for listening.:confused:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When establishing a bond with any bird, patience is the key. Let them decide when to do things. Your bird sounds a little hand shy. Very common. Have you tried using slivers of fruit for treats? You could also try her on birdy bread. Make up some cornbread Jiffy mix and chop up veggies and put into the mix. Great occult way to getting veggies into a bird. If she will not try the birdie bread, try putting a little sugar in it to tempt her and as she gets used to eating it, decrease the sugar slowly down to nothing.

As far as children go, do not push them on the bird. Kids tend to move very quickly and be loud and birds are prey creatures, always looking for those quick predator moves. Let the kids observe the bird and once you find a treat the bird likes, let them give her treats. Maybe touch the bird while you hold it. Again. Let the bird tell you how fast to advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.