• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoopinmomma

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole Thompson
hello! How possible is it to tame a 2 yr old aviary breeder Bourke? There is an aviary closing and there's a single female available. I've been wanting a Bourke but not sure how possible or successful trying to tame her would be....any thoughts or tips? TIA

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am not sure if @Monica 's was always a pet, or if she used to be a breeder bird, but Monica may be able to answer your question.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Of course it's possible to "make friends" even if the bird was 22. This is more about "your skills" in behaviour/husbandry than any specific bird. The bird is also very young so the odds are in your favour of things working out. All true relationships are earned over time and there is no shortcut. Only time will tell if this bird wants a relationship. There are always issues where big parrots are concerned. As parrot lovers we take them as they come and start from there.

So my question is, what do you bring to the table to make this happen?

Hoopinmomma

Moving in
Real Name
Nicole Thompson
Thank you for your response. My folks had an aviary and we hand raised birds when I was a kid and I am willing to research to the moon and back. My concern is I have three younger kids and our home is noisier and I worry that would negatively affect the building trust part of the relationship with the bird.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My bourke hen came with her parents. She wasn't a breeder, but she did lay eggs. She was also never tame or friendly...

She never was interested, nor did I ever really attempt to do so... even when I was working with the budgies on gaining their trust, which then led to me working with the cockatiels... and working with tiels did create interest with Sylphie, the ARN.

My bourke hen just never showed any interest... She was never aggressive, never bit out of no-where, and honestly, her bites in her older years were nibbles. aka.. pathetic attempts at a bite.

If you want to enjoy a calm and peaceful bird that may enjoy sitting on your shoulder but isn't *really* a physical bird, then a bourke can be a great companion!

If you plan on clipping the bird and forcing it to sit with you, then IMO, a bourke is *NOT* for you. I can not, nor will I, recommend clipping a bourke! I feel it's akin to clipping finches! On top of that, clipping a bird is not a trust-building thing...

If you are willing to have a *LOT* of patience, and you can put her into a large flight cage (i.e. something along the lines of 28 x 18 x 30, or larger), then sure, go for it! :)

I don't currently have any bourke parakeets, but I miss them! I love listening to them chitter chatter, singing, and heck, even flying! They are charming little birds!

baboonbighead

Checking out the neighborhood
Of course it's possible to "make friends" even if the bird was 22. This is more about "your skills" in behaviour/husbandry than any specific bird. The bird is also very young so the odds are in your favour of things working out. All true relationships are earned over time and there is no shortcut. Only time will tell if this bird wants a relationship. There are always issues where big parrots are concerned. As parrot lovers we take them as they come and start from there.

So my question is, what do you bring to the table to make this happen?
Wing clipping works best.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wing clipping works best.
Says the naive uniformed member.

All truth passes through three stages. First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

baboonbighead

Checking out the neighborhood
Woah. An insult?! Wow. Hey my opinion may differ from a lot of people but you want to insult me by calling me names?!

Status
Not open for further replies.