• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a new Lovie

Kate F

Moving in
Hi there,

This is my first post as I am new to the community but very excited! I just brought home my 10 week old masked blue lovebird. He was not hand raised, the breeder wasn't able to so when I got him home 4 days ago he was a bit wild. I have come VERY far in a few days, he will already perch on my hand in his cage to eat his millet. However he still likes to test my hand with little nips (not aggressive or mean, but hurts all the same). How do I start teaching him that's not ok? I plan on starting out of cage training next weekend, especially since he already associates my hand as a fun place to be. I want a friendly bird for my family so I want to start him off right. Thanks! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have any experience with lovebirds but wanted to say welcome to the forum!

Kate F

Moving in
Thanks so much! I'm fairly new to birds and thought this would be a great resource.

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
I'm in class right now, but I promise I'll come back to help in a little while. Welcome!

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hi there,

This is my first post as I am new to the community but very excited! I just brought home my 10 week old masked blue lovebird. He was not hand raised, the breeder wasn't able to so when I got him home 4 days ago he was a bit wild. I have come VERY far in a few days, he will already perch on my hand in his cage to eat his millet. However he still likes to test my hand with little nips (not aggressive or mean, but hurts all the same). How do I start teaching him that's not ok? I plan on starting out of cage training next weekend, especially since he already associates my hand as a fun place to be. I want a friendly bird for my family so I want to start him off right. Thanks! :)
First of all, congratulations on your lovebird and your steps forward. :)
Lovebirds are really nippy, especially when they're young. Mine is *still* nippy, and she must be about six months old. (She's just grumpy.)
Anyway, so it really depends on your bird. Lots of people are going to suggest lots of different things, but not everything will work for you. Just try some of these out (or try a combination of some of them) and see what works:
a. Say "no" firmly.
b. Send your bird your best glare.
c. Say "no biting" and move it away from you.
d. Give your bird a time out in its cage.
e. Walk away from it for a few seconds (don't respond if it screams or flaps its wings).
f. If you HAVE to (but it's not recommended), you can shoot water at it. Try not to, though...
g. Make sure you know the difference between an actual bite and when it's trying to use its beak to get up your shirt or something.

Anyway, I hope that helped a little.

Kate F

Moving in
All great ideas, I will avoid the spray bottle to start. He is very friendly and making quick progress. I had him on my hand eating a treat while my hand was palm up. I gently brought him out of his cage and he just hung out eating his treat sitting on my hand, he didn't fly away (he is not clipped) :). Open to any other taming suggestions as well. Thanks again!

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
No, don't ever shoot your bird with water. You want them to like water and a gentle misting from above for bathing is the only purpose a bird owner has for a spray bottle.

Start teaching him voice tones, high pitched "happy tones" and low pitched "no" tones. Once he's more trusting and emotionally invested, you can put him down when he misbehaves to reinforce "no". However, Lovies do tend to be nippy when they're young and distrustful and afraid. It will naturally get better with time.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Nipping is the way they explore. What does this taste like...oh is moms thumb the same as her pinky...oh whats that...is this finger strong enough to hold me, let me check. As he ages it should tone down. Happy who is 12 weeks and was hand fed by me was extremly beaky at 6_10wks. Now hitting 12 it seems he is toning it down. He occasionally gets overly excited or grumpy and sometimes he is simply like a teething toddler. Learn his body language, his likes and dislikes ....and nore than likely youll land at a less nippy.stage soon. Welcome to aa

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
All great ideas, I will avoid the spray bottle to start. He is very friendly and making quick progress. I had him on my hand eating a treat while my hand was palm up. I gently brought him out of his cage and he just hung out eating his treat sitting on my hand, he didn't fly away (he is not clipped) :). Open to any other taming suggestions as well. Thanks again!
I think you are doing right by going with the treat (aka positive reinforcement) approach! If he gets bitey, then try to distract him before he bites and give him something acceptable to chew on!

Birds use their beaks to explore. Exploration shouldn't be punished, but redirected to appropriate things. Biting is also a form of communication, and if a bird bites you, they were probably trying to tell you something and you missed it! If it happens, then you should take a step back and see where you went wrong. Did you ask for too much too soon? Does your lovie know what you are asking? Is your lovie ready to cooperate? Sometimes, all you need to do is give them some space and try again later!

Kate F

Moving in
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I had my Lovie for 5 days and he suddenly passed away today :( I have no idea why, the breeder had no idea and before I could even get him to our vet he was gone. I will miss him!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. I had my Lovie for 5 days and he suddenly passed away today :( I have no idea why, the breeder had no idea and before I could even get him to our vet he was gone. I will miss him!
Sorry to hear that! Hugs :hug8:

Last edited:

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
Hi everyone,

Oh, I'm so sorry. :( My thoughts are with you.