• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming a Bourke

Kales

Meeting neighbors
I'm looking for a pet Rosey Bourke after months and months of searching for a long enough cage.
The pet store in my area has Bourke's which are not hand tamed. The only breeder I found who has Bourke's are hand tamed which I'm looking for, but the breeder seemed really sketchy.
I know it's a risk going with the pet store, but just from viewing they look ok.
My question would be how easy is it to tame a Bourke that isn't hand tamed? I'm thinking with their gentle nature, human patience and human love it's possible?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have never heard of these being tame birds. Kind of like a finch.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I've always heard that they're very nice, laid back birds but usually not overly hands on. I'm not sure about how hard to tame. @Monica ?

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Pockets, my Bourke's, is quite tame. Hops on our hands, shoulders, etc.

As a species they're flighty - from what I've read. Not to the degree of a small (non-Java) finch.

No experience here with non hand-raised - but if you're patient I'm sure its a possibility!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I didn't try to tame my parent raised bourkes. I got 3 as a family, all older birds, and I enjoyed them for what they were. There were two young bourkes that were semi-tame... that is, they were hand raised, but not hand fed, so would step up and sit on hands for a little bit.

I have had great success working with budgies and, unintentionally, cockatiels! Started working with an african ringneck, but kind of gave up after realizing that she's a wild caught bird, not captive raised... I'm sure I could have great success with her as well, if I put the effort into it! I mean, if you do it right, it doesn't really take that much effort at all! Just learn to have patience and earn their trust by figuring out what they enjoy and pair that with yourself.

With the budgies, I just fed them every single morning by hand, then would refresh their food dishes. Monkey see, monkey do, next thing I know, I've got a cockatiel following me around and I don't know why! Until 2 weeks later, the light bulb goes off and I offer her food by hand! Several weeks later, I'm feeding all the cockatiels by hand, and even my most skittish cockatiel has learned to trust in me! Is he tame? No, but he's also not as skittish as he used to be and feels more comfortable telling me off rather than taking flight every time.

I would say to not expect a bourke to enjoy cuddles and scritches, but they can still make excellent "finger" and "shoulder" pets!

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have only had Pinky for about a month now, so no progress yet on taming although I can now easily get him in his cage using a perch on the first try.

My only hope is for him to be a finger and/or shoulder pet, that would make me very happy!