• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming 4 lovebirds??

Yumi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yumi
I got these love birds as a gift from someone at a vacation and ive had them for 3-4 months, they dont realy like me/ dont want to bond with me. I think its because they are bonded so they want nothing to do with me. Im the one who feeds and cleans them most of the time, Sometimes ill feed them a bit later than usual so they can eat from my hand. And sometimes they will even hop on my palm. But after they finish, they go back to being scared. they can take sunflower seeds from me but other than that they want to avoid me. they are pretty old, im not sure how old tho. are they too late to tame? Im a kind of busy student. I leave my house for 1-2 days a week to visit my grandmother (so i feel bad for them), and i leave them food and water ( they are totally fine when i come back) my birds have toys, a nesting box (theyr not breeding), different kinds of perches, occational veggies/fruits and a mix of pellets and millet. Their cage is around 17x30 in. so im pretty sure im taking care of them properly. But theyr loud and messy :( even though i have wanted a bird for a long time these guys were a surprise and i didnt really want lovebirds ( i wanted a cockatiel since they seemed to suit me better) and definitely not 4. My parrents are NOT enjoying the noise they make and are asking me if i can give them away, i live in the Philippines and not many people take proper care of birds, im getting kind of tired tho. Is there any way i can tame them? Or is it time to just give them away. im a first time owner so need help plis :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue,

Sometimes ill feed them a bit later than usual so they can eat from my hand. And sometimes they will even hop on my palm. But after they finish, they go back to being scared.
I highly recommend to stop doing this.
If they are scared of you, they are scared of you. And you should try to go a little slower instead of making them get to the point that they´re so hungry they will feel forced to come your hand for food.

are they too late to tame?
I´m a believer that it´s never too later to have a relationship with a bird.

a nesting box (theyr not breeding)
Remove the nesting boxes. It was ok while they settle into your home, but now, they should be removed to avoid increasing the desire to breed. If you get eggs, you´ll have no chance of progress.

occational veggies/fruits
Daily veggies is better if you can do that (except the day you´re not home - to avoid having soiled food in the cage).

Their cage is around 17x30 in.
Singular? Or each?
The rule with lovebirds is one single bird, or one bonded pair per cage.
So if you have 4 birds, find out who the pairs are and give them two cages. They can still share the same out of cage time if they get on somewhat nicely together (ie no fly by attacks or chasing).

Or is it time to just give them away. im a first time owner
4 lovebirds is a big commitment for a newbie in the bird world. As much as it´s a challange, it´s not impossible to care for the birds, give them a good life, love them and enjoy their company if you really want to and don´t have high expectations.
Lovebirds are loud. They won´t really get any quieter. You can try offering more foraging opportunities, but lovebirds are loud when they´re unhappy, loud when they´re happy, and just loud in general. Do you have an outdoor space? Maybe you could build an aviary and place all four birds in there outside during the day. It would create a little peace and quiet in the house, and also the lovebird noise sounds a lot nicer outdoors than indoors.

Be sure to separate the 4 birds as soon as you can. More than 2 bonded birds per cage and they can fight and even kill each other. But on a different note, it may be a little easier for you to be more involved when there´s only 2 birds per cage. Smaller flock = easier to manage.
Set up an empty cup in their cage, when you pass the cage, push a couple of treats through the bars into the empty cup for them to run over and take. Make sure you keep moving and don´t stand by the cage waiting. You can also try sitting near the cage and talking to them, try avoiding staring at them. Singling softly or reading will help get the birds used to you being so close. Once they are not fightened, you can offer a treat through the cage bars, hold it there and see if they will come and take it. You will have two cages, so be sure to offer treats through both cages. Once one bird of the pair comes down to your fingers for the treat, the other will likely follow suit.
It is important not to push these birds, they must be allowed to feel they have a choice. You have to respect them and when you get a little progress, have self control not to push them. For eg if they come to eat the treats, don´t try petting them or anything like that, they won´t like it and it will tell them not to trust you.

It will take time and patience.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
To be more specific, When I say read to them, I don´t mean like we would to a child. I mean, just talk. Like the voice in you head when you read, just let it out and say it aloud. Whatever you are reading, whether it´s a book, a magazine, a new recipe, this forum, or ever social media posts. Sit in a chair near both cages, relaxed and read whatever you have. Being relaxed and calm around your birds is important :)

Yumi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Yumi
thank u so much!! I will definitely try separating them soon :) honestly i was kinda lost cause i have a unique kind of situation, but im really really grateful:D , im still trying to improve and this will really help me <33