• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

talk some sense into me please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
*sigh* I just saw and ad for a young Hahn's. He is ready for a new home now, I don't even know if he is still available. The ad was posted about a month ago and they said he would be ready for a new home in a months time. And the MBS reared it's ugly head! I started to think that Jacob would like a birdie friend. He seeks out his reflection wherever he can and holds up long conversations or just sits contently. Then I started to think, "what if they don't get along?" and I'm still working on training Jacob, would I have time for another little bundle of energy? Would it just be the double noise? Would Jacob be a happier bird? I think he is bored, even with all the toys.

How was it when you got your second bird? How did your first bird react?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Go for it:D

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I say go for it also! My conure was lonely when I got him, and I decided to get him a friend, and Pepper has been the best friend he could ever ask for, they preen each other, snuggle, sleep together, and they don't scream nearly as much because they both have a birdy friend.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
you are not helping at all! I need some horror stories. Who has gotten their only bird a birdie friend and they ended up hating each other?

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Even if they dont like to be out together, just think of the company your current bird will have while you are at work or school :)

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I don't even know why I'm sitting here wondering since the baby has probably found a home. I did send them a message though... :innocent:

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
We got a GCC friend for our Sun and he is now much better behaved and less noisy too.

The horror story started when we got the our CAG. Julius the Sun hates her. He will attack her at any opportunity and I can't pet her or even talk to her without intense jealousy and the subsequent bite. Things have improved marginally in the past month or so but not enough to make life all that pleasant.

Getting another bird is a hit or miss situation that can't be predicted. I'm many people have great success but I wanted to share my story :lol:

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
We got a GCC friend for our Sun and he is now much better behaved and less noisy too.

The horror story started when we got the our CAG. Julius the Sun hates her. He will attack her at any opportunity and I can't pet her or even talk to her without intense jealousy and the subsequent bite. Things have improved marginally in the past month or so but not enough to make life all that pleasant.

Getting another bird is a hit or miss situation that can't be predicted. I'm many people have great success but I wanted to share my story :lol:
No I need to hear these stories. I want to get a Hahn's sometime in the future. I would like to keep my flock similar size. Out of the blue my boyfriend started asking this morning if Jacob would get along with a budgie. It seems he's been thinking about a birdie friend for Jacob as well but on a smaller scale :hehe:

Do it! Do it! ;)
ssshhhh!

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Ok I will talk some sense into you!! LOL What are you waiting for???? Go get him!! LOl Hug's Barb and Isis

Bird Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christy
I'm afraid I won't be of much help, wrestling with the idea of the Female Ekkie on CL for $200 !!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even if they dont like to be out together, just think of the company your current bird will have while you are at work or school :)
I agree! :)

Zoey26

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelli
I think you definately have to go with a similar size. If the other bird is too much smaller, I think they'll just ignore each other. Cordie (my plummie) was my 2nd bird, and she's fascinated by Zoey (my Jardine), but Zoey just ignores her- and her contact calls.

But I do feel better that at least Zoey isn't by herself all day!

Though - I guess i should mention Cordie is a retired breeder and doesn't require/ desire hands-on attention, she just likes to watch the activities from the top of her cage. I think if I had a 2nd bird that was a velcro-birdie like Zo, it would be a very bad situation.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Umm, you shouldn... Who the hell am I kidding? I have 10 birds! Go for it! I remember the story a few weeks ago when you told us you're playing bird sounds for him and he ran up to the window all excited looking out, I thought then you should get him a buddy.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
Umm, you shouldn... Who the hell am I kidding? I have 10 birds! Go for it! I remember the story a few weeks ago when you told us you're playing bird sounds for him and he ran up to the window all excited looking out, I thought then you should get him a buddy.
I know it was so sad! :( I stopped playing him videos of birds because he would just keep calling and calling. He needs a friend. His bestest buddy in the whole world is his talk n' play phone which has a mirror on it. The other day it fell to the bottom of the cage and you should have heard the cry Jacob made and then how he rushed to the bottom to see if his friend was alright.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki

I know it was so sad! :( I stopped playing him videos of birds because he would just keep calling and calling. He needs a friend. His bestest buddy in the whole world is his talk n' play phone which has a mirror on it. The other day it fell to the bottom of the cage and you should have heard the cry Jacob made and then how he rushed to the bottom to see if his friend was alright.
Awww, Jacob sound so adorable! :swoon: My IRN has the same phone & he loves it so much. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ok..so Sheba HATED Holly when I first got her. She never had this reaction to any of the others. But guess what...while they may never be best pals, she is warming up to her. I can now hold both of them without Sheba trying to leap on her and pull her feathers out. They can be out at the same time, and Sheba is actually seeming to like the company of the others now that we have a working routine. All it took was time and patience.:hug8:{it's only been 4 months}

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
We all on the Avenue suffer from the same type of disease, so not the best people to ask about another bird Jacob.
I started off with just the one Grey and now I have two Greys, one timneh Grey and one hybrid Macaw and one Blue fronted Amazon! This disease is very infectious and once you get a dose of it there is not stopping it.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
So you have to make up your own mind on this one, but just to say I have never ever regretted having them and they are a joy to be with each and every day. Good luck.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I need to hear stories of how it was when you succumbed to the MBS and added the second bird. How did the first bird react and for how long had he/she been an only bird?

Status
Not open for further replies.