• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk in front of Strangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do your greys talk in front of strangers?:huh:

So far.. Emma does not talk in front of strangers.:hehe: She just sits there quietly and politely. :pThe moment they are are gone or we are home.. she is chattering away happily. Sometimes, I even laugh out loud at her and say..." I know you're dying to talk.. so do go ahead"..:p of course she just sits there as if she is mute.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:hehe: It must be torture for her! lol I like to talk myself so know the feeling. :) My Bobbie loved talking in front of anyone who would listen and would do anything to get you to laugh. She was a special girl, one of a kind. :) Emmett hasn't begun talking yet but us very chatty so we'll see what he thinks about strangers. I do think that is the typical "norm" for greys though, they like to get a feel for who you are before they talk to you. I was at a bird mart once and was talking to a 8 year old male for sale, he was cautious but did laugh at me after a few minutes. It tickled me pink because I know he was probably totally out of his element and it was nice to hear him vocalize. Emma is a doll! Has she met some new people enough where she may not consider them strangers anymore? Maybe she just needs a little extra time to get to know them. :)

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
lol Chopper is unusually quiet but will let out a few things....or a few burps...:rofl:

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
Glory (Tag) will only say a few things in front of strangers, usually just "that good?" if they are eating. Shadow (CAG) will say some things, he tells everyone "hello" when they come in, and always says "bye" when they leave. Rolly (CAG) doesn't talk in front of adults, but will talk in front of kids and will tell them "get the ---- out of here" when teenagers come over, which is often. She learned this in her past home (rescue bird). Its hard to break her of it because the teenagers laugh, which makes her say it whenever she sees them now. She does talk in front of everyone if we take her somewhere though.
Sandy

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Emmett doesn't talk a whole lot anyhow, but when I'm at work with him he really chats it up. Although the last time he was there, my coworker walked out of the office and once he was out the doors Emmett yelled "Mother$%#@&" :omg: But other than that every time anyone laughed he'd laugh with them and he also said "what?" a lot as well as "hey there buddy" :)

For the record - I never taught him the language he uses.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hehe: It must be torture for her! lol I like to talk myself so know the feeling. :) My Bobbie loved talking in front of anyone who would listen and would do anything to get you to laugh. She was a special girl, one of a kind. :) Emmett hasn't begun talking yet but us very chatty so we'll see what he thinks about strangers. I do think that is the typical "norm" for greys though, they like to get a feel for who you are before they talk to you. I was at a bird mart once and was talking to a 8 year old male for sale, he was cautious but did laugh at me after a few minutes. It tickled me pink because I know he was probably totally out of his element and it was nice to hear him vocalize. Emma is a doll! Has she met some new people enough where she may not consider them strangers anymore? Maybe she just needs a little extra time to get to know them. :)
She sees the neighbours quite alot but still doesn't say a word.:hehe:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Tango is also a mute in front of strangers. He just sits there and glares.... yeah, he's a friendly and inviting little guy. :rolleyes:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dexter talks up a storm and dances with me. If even my husband is in the room hislevel of talking drops significantly. Mike hides behind the basement door to witness Dexter kissing me and getting sritches and hear him talk. My family hears him talk when I am on the phone with them. Otherwise when people come ovr, Dexter becomes mute!

MollyMouse

It's so funny Molly won't talk or dance and whistle in front of anyone but me and my family. I really wanted to show my friend who was visiting her dancing skills but she flat out refused. Little monkey :hehe:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Dexter talks up a storm and dances with me. If even my husband is in the room hislevel of talking drops significantly. Mike hides behind the basement door to witness Dexter kissing me and getting sritches and hear him talk. My family hears him talk when I am on the phone with them. Otherwise when people come ovr, Dexter becomes mute!
lol the same thing happens with my husband. He's played around by peeking around a corner then ducking back behind it, and the second he's gone the whistling starts, as soon as he appears, it stops even if Tango is mid-whistle.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Boogie usually clams up (or burps - usually if he has decided he is not fond of the 'visitor')

He surprised me recently though, our oldest granddaughter spent the night (she is 7) and I introduced her to him - he took one look and said 'Hello' in the sweetest little voice :faint:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Boogie usually clams up (or burps - usually if he has decided he is not fond of the 'visitor')

He surprised me recently though, our oldest granddaughter spent the night (she is 7) and I introduced her to him - he took one look and said 'Hello' in the sweetest little voice :faint:
That's great! Emmett and Petrie both fart when they don't like someone! :rofl:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
well Sam is a tiel...and a talking girl tiel which is even more unusual..her specialty is bird imitations...she wont talk in front of strangers but once she impressed a whole room full of people by letting out some nice warbles and coos..:hehe:

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Fenway is the same way.

Actually she wont even do a lot of talking in front of me, she only talks when she wants attention.

Izzy_Bird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lisa
Izzy shows off when people are around. I think she doesn't like them talking to ME so she talks louder to try to get my attention.

Boogie won't say too much with new people around, but he will laugh with us. If there are people here that he sees often he gets very talkative.

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Shiloh is the same way, clams right up with strangers. Now he will talk when my sister is here. It seems like if they ignore him he will open up and start talking. I don't know how he stays quiet for so long when other stangers are here, cause he jibber jabs all day long.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shiloh is the same way, clams right up with strangers. Now he will talk when my sister is here. It seems like if they ignore him he will open up and start talking. I don't know how he stays quiet for so long when other stangers are here, cause he jibber jabs all day long.
He probably can't wait for them to leave so he can yabber away carefree..:hehe:

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
He probably can't wait for them to leave so he can yabber away carefree..:hehe:
You're probably right, I'm sure Emma fells the same way :lol:
Isn't it funny how a lot of the greys have the same traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.