• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tail Feathers

Megankf

Meeting neighbors
Well, almost all of Gemma's tail feathers are broken :unsure1:
She's a clumsy little babe and she likes to flap her wings like crazy in her cage until she falls off her perch
I try to take her out when I see her doing this so she can flap like crazy on the couch where she can be safely clumsy, but she calms down as soon as she's out and just wants to cuddle :rolleyes:
She's thankfully never bled, but she looks a mess :p
Is there anything I can/should do about her broken feathers? I've tried to straighten out the ones that are still attached but they're just limp at the point where they broke. If I were to cut the broken ones she would only have 2 left :/

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My little guy never had a tail when he was younger, he was so very klutzy!:wacky: It is very common for tiels to break feathers. I always just left them alone. My girl tiel likes to flap her wings for exercise like yours does. You can try putting a towel down where she usually lands (if there is a usual) and making sure there are no perches or things her wings might get caught on as she falls down if possible. She will get less clumsy as she matures, but my male tiel has never been able to match the grace of my female! Your girl sounds like a very sweet bird!:)

Megankf

Meeting neighbors
@Tiel Feathers thanks for the reassurance, how old would you say your guy was when he grew new tail feathers and was able to keep them? Gemma will be 3 months old this friday

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Well, he became a little less clumsy at about one, but at about a year and eight months old he still can't get a tail that has more than a few feathers in it at any one time. He doesn't seem to care, so I don't worry about it!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Tiel babies are known to be clumsy. Cute little Gemma will outgrow it- and grow new feathers. :)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Yep, Bella had a duck butt for a while also. As long as the tail feathers are not bleeding, don't bother to remove them.