• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Syringe Training 101

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a great set of pictures and such a good idea!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My Zon and CAG are syringe trained. They go crazy when the see a syringe!

I love seeing your picture :)
thank you all so much for the great comments!:D

QP4CAG

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lindsay
Saroj you that is one GORGEOUS flock you have!!!!! And they all took to it too:heart::heart:And your QP-i just want to kiss him allllllllllllllllllllllllllll over their bellies:D

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Great reminder. I have done this with my birds and they all love it, but I should keep doing it to keep them used to it. Adorable birdies as usual!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful post!:hug8:--very instructive and super clear pics :)

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Excellent post, Saroj! And pics always speak louder than words, especially with such gorgeous models :heart:

So we should practice using a syringe in case we ever have to give them meds?.. where oh where would I find carrot juice? :/
I was lucky, my vet suggested it during our very first visit and gave me some syringes as well. Ceddy Hates carrots so here it's organic fruit juice - Mango mixed with others is both our favourite :D Sometimes I give it pure and sometimes I dilute it about half and half with water so that she gets used to it tasting a little different (in case I DO have to mix it with meds)

Gah, you make it look SOOO easy! :p It really is a great idea, if your birds don’t think the syringe is evil. :hehe:
Ceddy RAN the other way at first too :p. So I filled the syringe with a little Mango/Orange juice (her favourite) and held nuts next to the syringe tip to make her come closer and closer until I was able to very quickly 'smear' just a drop of juice on the side of her beak. Didn't take her long to realise that YUMMY stuff came out of the syringe and now she comes RUNNING *to me* as soon as she sees the syringe :dancing:

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Great post! If I could make a sugestion just in case their are newbies lurking, change the post to read insert the syringe from YOUR right, The BIRDS Left. I know there are pictures, but just to be safe....

Anyways,

I like the monoject syringes for medication but I have been using avi-culture probiotic with my flock. I hate the slimy water and they throw their food so to get a good accurate and repeatable dose, I use a syringe and juice of their choice. I have 5 adults and they all prefer different juices!!
They do not like the single dosage of that with juice in the 1cc dose of the monoject. The probiotic doesn't really have a taste, maybe a little bitter, but at 1cc of fluid and the probiotic it is a little thick for their liking.

I have been buying 3cc slip tip syringes for cal vet supply on amazon for like .15 a piece. They do not last near as long as the monoject syringes from sterilizing/cleaning but I can get a week or so out of one before I have to throw it away.

On another note, anyone ever found a good fitting tip on a 10, 20, or 30cc syringe that can be sterilized more than a couple of times? My hand feeds in the past have liked the lixit but I can only get a use or two or three before the tube or the rubber starts to go...

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thanks all for the great feedback :D
Astrid, that's great additional info and suggestions!:dance4::dance4:
Michael and Shana, appreciate the clarification....I edited the original post. Thank you for catching that potentially ambiguous statement. :)

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I read this before Bella's vet appointment today and I am definitely going to train her! I thought for sure it would be antibiotic drops in a syringe for her but no, it is nare drops. But I will be prepared for the next time, I even bought Carrot juice today. :)

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
thanks all for the great feedback :D
Astrid, that's great additional info and suggestions!:dance4::dance4:
Michael and Shana, appreciate the clarification....I edited the original post. Thank you for catching that potentially ambiguous statement. :)

NP. When people call me, (Im the local "bird guy" in my wifes and I's business circle, My wife has 150+ people in her business and I have about 450 at my location and even more across my district so we come across this often.) The insertion of the syringe comes up more than not with babies or sick birds. If I am not available to go take care of the baby or sick bird, I am a lefty but always tell them to hold the syringe in their right hand and hold the bird facing them on their hand or in a bowl/container and go from their own right to their own left across the back of the tongue in the corner of the birds mouth that is closest to their own heart. I only had one phone call baby aspirate and I am sure it was because they used a bulb type syringe on it.

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
Guys.....................Saroj is so generous! <3 She offered to send me some syringes for my birdies. thank you SO much Saroj! :D

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
When someone is getting something by syringe, I have all the other birds calling out wanting their treat by syringe as well. Can't play favorites, so there I am with 14 different syringes ready for the gang!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@saroj12 I need to syringe train Sweet Pea and have couple of questions.
1. She is scared to death of syringes all of them. Is ok to show her syringe with treat to get her not to be so afraid?
2. What can use in the syringe as a treat, she likes pineapple juice abd coconut water, any other ideas?

Last edited: