• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suzie has me a little concerned..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My dog is a large dog (over 50kg), she is 7.5 years old and just this last few months she started going grey, slowing down energy wise and sleeping a bit more, struggling sometimes to get up or lay down, she either became more ignorant and better at it or she has lost some hearing and just this last week or two she has started to behave a little differently which is worrying me a bit- I think she has developed the dog version of old timers disease as she has done some things that are so out of her character like happily follow my mum around (who she normally avoids unless it is night time), she growled at my half brother when he came around the other day and it took her a bit to realise she knows and loves him before she greeted him like she normally does- she has never growled at a person or animal before, she has done some other really odd (for her) things but this morning she nearly had me in tears when I realised she had tried to bury her food (which she has never done before as she does not dig or hoard/hide food), problem being she is fed on concrete so she rubbed a huge chunk of skin off her nose and covered everything in blood.
I think I need to make some changes in how we do things if she is to continue on with this newly developed odd stuff- why do these darn animals have to mean so much to me??

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’ve heard of dogs having neurological problems that cause them to bite or tic. But I think you are possibly correct that your dog could have hearing loss or senility. The combination is worse for people because it’s more isolating.

In people, hearing loss can cause anxiety and social problems because the person isn’t getting all input like alerts that someone is approaching, all social cues, etc.

maybe the first thing to do for your dog would be to see if something correctable is going on with her ears?

i know much more about birds than dogs but I myself have some hearing loss and it does cause social issues. People think you’re snubbing them when you don’t hear them say “hi”, or just hear a noise instead of your name. Also it’s scary to have someone walk up behind you and tap you on the shoulder.

I bet that your dog is confused because how could she (or anyone) know that she’s slowly or quickly stopped hearing things? And maybe you are more grumpy with her because it’s frustrating to repeat yourself.

Maybe you can manage problems as they come up, like feeding her on linoleum or tile so she can’t bury her food or bloody her nose. Or make sure that newcomers say “hi” to her and let her sniff them so she knows that they are nearby?

its certainly sad to have your companion start suffering from extreme old age because they are a different species from you. I wonder if you live near a vet school that has a geriatrics program? Maybe they could advise.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sorry to hear about your pup having issues.
My pups are also 7 and slowing down. :sad1:

I have heard of cognitive dysfunction (dementia) in senior dogs - 7 should still be middle-aged and too young for it. I would do a vet visit - blood workup - to see if something else is the cause

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@NightOwls I am told that the larger the dog the faster they seem to age which so far has been what I have seen with mine and others dogs.
My uncle had a full bred great dane who never made it to 7.
Suzie is from a mix of larger breed dogs- Great Dane/English mastiff x Ridgeback/Neo mastiff - all her litter mates have been retired from wild pig hunting as they are too old and slow to be safe now.

@WillowQ She is not being grumped at or grouched at by me (never has been even though she is a huge pia lol) and my mum has actually been quite nice to her and patient with her (never used to be) as she's noticed some odd changes like Suzie getting herself into a spot she seems unable to work her way out of, walking through puddles of water (hates getting her feet wet), begging for food which has never been allowed by any of my dogs, stealing food off a plate which has not ever been a thing she would do as she would only take food that was put in her bowl, on her bed or given directly to her as she is told it is hers. I really do think it is senility- I have had this happen twice in the past and I am noticing some similarities unfortunately.

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah, unfortunately, giant dogs breeds do have shorter lifespans. I would still do a vet visit - I'm kind-of an optimistic.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I didn’t mean that you are grumping at her. I was mostly using an example from my life. I more mean that, if someone comes over, if she can’t hear their voice it takes more time for her to figure out who they are. Or it’s probably easier to accidentally surprise her.

I have seen people scold older dogs for not obeying when it was clear the dog just couldn’t move very fast. I don’t think or know that YOU are doing that, but it can happen. Or you certainly see animals pee on the floor because they’re sick, and the owner get upset.

it’s mostly a miscommunication because nobody can know what someone else sees or hears. I don’t think you are being mean to her. I think maybe there are little mistakes which lead to misunderstanding, like her not recognizing your half brother right away.

I know when my Lucy was getting old, at first I thought she was just not liking me much. Then I realized she didn’t feel well from arthritis and it was hard to move. I think that probably happens a lot between two people or a person and an animal who doesn’t feel good or doesn’t hear.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I didn’t mean that you are grumping at her. I was mostly using an example from my life. I more mean that, if someone comes over, if she can’t hear their voice it takes more time for her to figure out who they are. Or it’s probably easier to accidentally surprise her.

I have seen people scold older dogs for not obeying when it was clear the dog just couldn’t move very fast. I don’t think or know that YOU are doing that, but it can happen. Or you certainly see animals pee on the floor because they’re sick, and the owner get upset.

it’s mostly a miscommunication because nobody can know what someone else sees or hears. I don’t think you are being mean to her. I think maybe there are little mistakes which lead to misunderstanding, like her not recognizing your half brother right away.

I know when my Lucy was getting old, at first I thought she was just not liking me much. Then I realized she didn’t feel well from arthritis and it was hard to move. I think that probably happens a lot between two people or a person and an animal who doesn’t feel good or doesn’t hear.
Yeah I know where you’re coming from- I did have a deaf dog many years back and people would always frighten her.
I’d think the same thing about Suzie but she was looking directly at him while we were coming through the gate which is why it concerned me- she was looking at him and he was with me which are both things that should have had her wagging her tail.
There’s definitely been some joint stiffness in the last few months too.
I think it’s shocking me a tad as with all my other dogs the old age changes happened so subtly that no one really noticed the changes- with Suzie it’s literally been a few months and she’s a different dog.

All good, she will be cared for more carefully and loved just the same as when she was a pup.

edit: I had a deaf dog not dead dog- thank you autocorrect for helping me!!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think once those big dogs get old it happens fast. You’re wondering if dogs get Alzheimer’s or something like that: I know old humans can go on and on and most everything is fine until suddenly it’s really bad.

any chance of cataracts or other vision changes? Those are very age related.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I think once those big dogs get old it happens fast. You’re wondering if dogs get Alzheimer’s or something like that: I know old humans can go on and on and most everything is fine until suddenly it’s really bad.

any chance of cataracts or other vision changes? Those are very age related.
My vet called it doggy dementia. I’ve now had two dogs I had from teeny pups get it in their older days and if I’m right about Suzie then she’ll make number 3.
No major problem dealing with the aging as it’s expected but I’m not looking forward to seeing her confused or scared- she really is such a sweetheart.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry shez they are a massive part of your life’s getting old sucks
I hope you all find away to deal/cope with suzie new stage in life

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I 'm very sorry to hear that Shez. Poor Suzie :( and she's such a sweetheart. I really hope she does ok with the changes and stops digging on concrete :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I 'm very sorry to hear that Shez. Poor Suzie :( and she's such a sweetheart. I really hope she does ok with the changes and stops digging on concrete :(
I’ve moved where I feed her and I stayed with her while she ate. She’s never dug, pawed at things or tried to hide/bury anything before so I’ll just watch her at food times now.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry to hear this Shez. I suppose just as we have to make changes for our birds, we have to make changes for elderly dogs with health problems. Teddy would struggle to get up from the floor in his last year and was so tired most of the time. If we tried to move him to make him more comfotable, he would let out a soft whine, as if to say "Let me stay here."
It's so hard to deal with their changes, and I KNOW you are doing everything you can for Suzie. I hope the changes you are making will help her.
:sadhug2:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Awww. That sucks so much :(

Technically, 7 is considered senior for dogs. My old man (Sherlock) is getting to the same point - losing hearing (although I'm half convinced he's just getting better at his selective hearing), eyes getting foggy, joints stiff... It's so hard to watch your animals go through the aging signs.

Unfortunately there's not a ton able to be done for the cognitive issues, but your vet might have some good recommendations for joint/eye/ear health. Sherlock is on a couple supplements that seem to help a bit.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I second the neurological explanation. Some dogs get benign tumors that press on a part of their brain. You may want to get imaging done.

I’m sorry this is happening. She sounds magnificent.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Trying to bury , can be they are feeling nauseous. Did she eat?
My old 17 year boy had dementia, it was sad , but he stayed his sweet self .

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Trying to bury , can be they are feeling nauseous. Did she eat?
My old 17 year boy had dementia, it was sad , but he stayed his sweet self .
Yeah she is eating well.