• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Surprise visitor at Breakfast time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
This was filmed in March 2010

Everyday I change the birds salad ingredients. Yesterday was apples red and green, pears, cucumber, pomegranate seeds, cranberries,and lettuce.....Today, while the birds were eating their breakfast salad of pomegranate seeds, dates, shredded beets, shredded carrot, lettuce,and corn, they were silenced momentarily not by a cat as usual, but of a bird of prey, not familiar to them carrying its chick in its beak. This is the first time I have seen this bird, and I will have to see if I can identify it. It was either some type of owl or a common kestrel. It flew by in a flash that I only caught a brief glimpse.

YouTube - DSCN4548.AVI Surprise visitor at Breakfast time

I snapped from frame to frame a few shots, they are not clear but you can make out the shape of the bird of prey with its young hanging from its claws.

The bird was here so briefly that I don't think that they had enough time to register what was happening, they have birds around them all day long, Great Blue ••••, Robins in winter, Sparrows, Hoopoe, Pigeons, Bulbuls, Hummingbirds and a few others so this would not be unusual to them.

The thing that was unusual and caught their eye and mine but my reflexes are getting to be slow or I'd have caught more of the bird which definitley was a Common Kestrel. I looked it straight in the face and got a good look at it. It definitley had a bird in its claws. Perhaps it found a meal along the way. They hide out here in palm trees. There is no shortage of those around here.

Here is a link to some birds found in Israel.

Birds in Israel by Yoram Shpirer

http://www.kestreling.com/gallery/ck...lm_charter.jpg

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: beautiful but gruesome.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, amazing shot! So it was more likely not it's young but a catch it made?

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow those action shots were awesome.

msher420

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sheriff