• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Support for molting ekkies?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I adopted my 22-yo male ekkie in January, and he's now going through the first molt.

I've always given my GCC and cockatiel egg food during molting for extra protein and calcium, and my GCC in particular will only eat egg food when he's growing feathers. However, it seems like all of the rules are different for Eclectus, so I'm not sure if I should be doing anything special for Cosmo. What do you do for your ekkies?

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I'm no expert but from what I've seen online and the forums it's not really advisable to give Ekkies supplements unless otherwise stated by an avian vet.

It is due to their longer digestional tract which will also absorb more of these supplements and could possibly lead to imbalances that cause toe tapping and wing flipping which are all involuntary movements.

I would simply suggest a quality cold pressed pellet as they are much more nutritional.

But overall lots of fruit and vegetables will make the most difference, make sure to include ones that are high in fibre as well. Important for ekkies.

Also do include stuff with lots of protein like sweet corn, chia seeds, boiled egg, lentils etc.

I'm happy to list some stuff my ekkie enjoys.

Good luck

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Baths are always a top recommendation regardless of species. As for dietary supplements, I would be leery of fortified foods such as store brought egg food due to the sensitivities that eclectus have, but @Miss Annamarie may know better.