• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SunCheek Conure has laid 8 eggs thus far and is this clutch

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
The average is 3 - 5, but I have had pairs lay 7 or 8 eggs. The most I've had hatch from a single hen is 7. My pairs will usually start incubation after egg number 2 or 3 is laid and they sit for 20-something days. I say 20 something because once they start laying I only check once every 3 or 4 days until I hear chicks in the nest box. It's usually 22 - 26 days and the chicks hatch a day apart from each other. This gives Mom and Dad a chance to build up to feeding all those hungry mouths instead of having a bunch of them appear all at once. If eggs are removed then the hen will lay more until she decides to stop. It's best to remove broken eggs from the box so they don't rot in there, otherwise, leave them alone. Make sure she's getting plenty of dark green veggies that are rich in calcium. This will help her replenish her own reserves. It takes a lot out of them to lay so many eggs. It helps if you don't let them double clutch either. Once the chicks are done being fed or have been removed from the box, either block it off or remove it so they don't breed again right away.
Thank you @BrianB i am jotting down all this information!

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
Right. I’m wondering if these eggs were not actually abandoned, just not being sat on. But I don’t know.
I would say abandon due to the fact that that she is placing them randomly around my bedroom and not revisiting said spots.

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
Thank you @BrianB for sharing your knowledge, I have them all in an egg in an egg incubator since my sweet girl has decided not to care for them. I did purchase dummy eggs…her diets at top notch. Just hoping and praying she stops laying eggs.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Ok. I wasn’t sure and wanted to find out since it would have been so much easier for you if she was laying eggs in nest box or cage bottom and just not sitting on them.

My hope is if you put these eggs in one of her ‘spots’ or on her cage bottom then she’ll just settle down to sit and stop exhausting her body. Continual egg laying is so dangerous.

I’d your pair set up with a nest box and she’s just being weird?

I’m weighing in as a scientist who’s studied birds and bird disease for several years. I’m not just being bossy; I asked if you were sure eggs were abandoned for a good reason.

Last edited:

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been under the weather and off line. It was extremely odd she just delivered her eggs wherever and did not come back to retrieve them. It would have been much easier if she was sitting on top of them. I am a complete novice and feel like a failure Turing them in the incubator, etc. Thank you for your help and insight.
Cheers

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
For Conures how long is candling a helpful tool? It seemed extremely helpful tool when the embryos were small but the older embryos it’s difficult to see any movement, is this normal?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
For Conures how long is candling a helpful tool? It seemed extremely helpful tool when the embryos were small but the older embryos it’s difficult to see any movement, is this normal?
Yes, normal. I try not to candle them this close to hatching, you don't learn much anyway.

Frida3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah E. Berry-Merino
Yes, normal. I try not to candle them this close to hatching, you don't learn much anyway.
Hello , did you see any movement near hatch day with candling? I am worried due to seeing a massive amount of movement in the beginning and now at the end I am not.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Hello , did you see any movement near hatch day with candling? I am worried due to seeing a massive amount of movement in the beginning and now at the end I am not.
There’s not much room in the egg for the larger baby to move around.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been under the weather and off line. It was extremely odd she just delivered her eggs wherever and did not come back to retrieve them. It would have been much easier if she was sitting on top of them. I am a complete novice and feel like a failure Turing them in the incubator, etc. Thank you for your help and insight.
Cheers
There’s no reason to feel like a failure. You have an odd mama bird. They will lay the eggs where they feel like it. I was mostly hoping there was a mistake or misunderstanding and you could maybe get mom to help feed these babies.