• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure or Cockatiel?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It will depend on area and breeder but we do have them. I have just found some for $400 and also some for $1,200.
You would likely be better off though looking for a breeder who does not advertise online though as the people you will find on a lot of the sites that have birds for sale are unfortunately backyard breeders who do not always breed for health.
You should be able to find a breeder through word of mouth if you have a local bird club.

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
Yep I had a look too, found some for $400 and $1200 and I think they’re breeding birds too... but not sure

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yep I had a look too, found some for $400 and $1200 and I think they’re breeding birds too... but not sure
I think there seems to be a lot affecting the price...

Colour
Etc...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No, you found some for 400, I found some for 1200 :lol: :p
Lol yes that is true but so was my original statement lol.... the ad directly under the $400 ones was an ad for $1200 ones

0BE92BAE-EF4C-4369-9A1C-C33B9919CCBB.png

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Although I am a big tiel fan of course, the dust is a problem for your other birds, so best off avoiding those.

That being said, a sun conure can reach 120 decibels (some websites say that Nandays can reach 155). In comparison a macaw reaches 105. 120 is equivalent to a jet taking off and is louder than a rock concert! :eek:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a pair of suns at the zoo I go to with my family. Once the suns were letting rip and it's astonishing how such a small bird can produce such a loud call! If you are thinking about a sun, it's essential to listen to their calls - preferably in person, or at least with the volume on your computer/phone turned all the way up. A lot get rehomed simply because they're very, very noisy - either their humans realise that they cannot live with it, or neighbours complain.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Marwell :) they're near the wallabies and hornbills.
Just down the road. I go once a year at least.

I go to...

Marwell
Longleat
Monkey world
One zoo far away (new on each time)

About once a year. We go to MW about 6 times a year though, but that includes my meetings...

I can't say I have ever seen them before at marwell. I love the new tropical house!

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
How much do suns usually cost? I’ve found a breeder whose selling them for $300aud and on whose selling them for $700aud?

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
There's a pair of suns at the zoo I go to with my family. Once the suns were letting rip and it's astonishing how such a small bird can produce such a loud call! If you are thinking about a sun, it's essential to listen to their calls - preferably in person, or at least with the volume on your computer/phone turned all the way up. A lot get rehomed simply because they're very, very noisy - either their humans realise that they cannot live with it, or neighbours complain.
my neighbours don’t really mind the noise too much(i don’t think lol) my princess parrot screams a lot aswell when he/she is bored and my neighbour don’t seem to care

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Suns are a whole different type of screaming. They're loud, high pitched and can keep going and going and going. If you live in a flat or terraced house, you *will* get complaints.

Turn the volume all the way up.

luna.vv

Meeting neighbors
I’ll play it on full volume tomorrow morning! It’s already 9:23pm in Australia :lol:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I’ll play it on full volume tomorrow morning! It’s already 9:23pm in Australia :lol:
Don't forget to attach it to the amplifier.

Just a thought... We are only thinking about the humans here, will the other birds in the house appreciate this conure?