• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden Weight Gain then Weight Loss- Need Help

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hello!
Fumble my female blue and gold macaw turns 5 in a couple months but lately she has had some weight fluctuations. For the past 4 years her morning weight has remained around 980g. However, this past month her morning weight spiked to 1030 to 1040g and I don't know why. In the past 2 days or so it has dropped to 1030 to 1020 to now this morning 1005g. I have heard of hormonal weight gain but I thought she was too young for this to be going on. Only signs of hormones this month could be trying to regurgitate for her bell and being more cuddly. She seems to be cracking open her nuts and pellets this morning and eating them but I know it can be hard to tell.

She is in the room with a scarlet macaw (Almost 3yrs old) and his weight has been a consistent 1050g.

They fly in the room all day and are only in the cage for bedtime. They have a food stand in the room but they dont have food in the cage after they go to bed.

Any idea of whats going on? Choanal papilla are sharp and normal, no feather picking, vent is clean, eyes and nares are clean. Feces is army green (maybe more rubbery today than normal, solid, urates are white, overall normal

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could just be she is going thru stages. Coming out of puberty & into maturity. Unless her weight drops more I wouldn't be too concerned.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Could just be she is going thru stages. Coming out of puberty & into maturity. Unless her weight drops more I wouldn't be too concerned.
Thank you. I will keep an eye on it. She seems to be eating at least. After breakfast she weighed 1030g so it’s just her baseline morning weight that’s changing. I have yet to have experience with the changes that come with maturing macaws so this part of new to me. I appreciate the help!

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Her morning weight was 1005g again this morning and her evening weight was 1018g. I will update tomorrow morning if it's any lower. I hope its just a hormonal change.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You are weighing too much. You need to weigh in the morning before breakfast and after the first morning poop. Sounds to me like you are getting food weight which can make a big difference.

Weigh empty in the morning. Forget weighing any other time.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
You are weighing too much. You need to weigh in the morning before breakfast and after the first morning poop. Sounds to me like you are getting food weight which can make a big difference.

Weigh empty in the morning. Forget weighing any other time.
I used to weigh once a week but I have been weighing daily due to the weight loss. The weights I have previously posted are the morning weight (before eating and after the morning poop). I don’t feed them at night in the cage so I do know for sure she hasn’t eaten when I weigh her. Part of the reason I was additionally weighing at multiple times in the day was to ensure she wasn’t fake eating.

For example, her morning weight today before eating and after her poop was 1000g

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Just a follow-up. I think her weight may be due to hormonal changes. She seems to be averaging out at about 1015g. I appreciate your help with this topic. I can get a bit paranoid especially after doing necropsies all day. It makes me worry when I see slight abnormalities.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Her weight was 985g this morning. Do you think she will go back to her original weight before this weight gain (hormonal) or should I be concerned?

Summary of first post:
Weight for 3-4years was 960-980g
Past month has been 1030-1040
Today at 985g