• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set

Walking the driveway
Henry was back to his old self this morning :huh: I'm completely confused.
He was begging to be let out, and refuses to step up for me because I put him in a small cage. He's back to his screaming, biting, cranky old man self.

I'm wondering if what happened is that his beak got stuck and he went into shock? When I put Caddy away, his upper beak was inside his lower beak. I've no idea how long it was like that for - it could've been up to an hour (he usually just sits on top of the cage quietly) and he didn't make any noise.
It was kind of like this:

Except his lower beak doesn't look too long. It was a very strange sight. His beak isn't broken at all, either. I tried getting a picture of his beak after mum had fixed it (which didn't take a lot of effort, but it seemed kind of.. stuck? Like he couldn't quite close his beak afterward) but he wasn't cooperating with me and wants nothing to do with me today. So this is the best I got:

Googling says that can happen if his beak is too long?
I'm really iffy whether it was a stroke just because he recovered so quickly.

I didn't get a chance to get him to the vet today. I only work weekends, and if I miss a day of work I won't be able to make rent. Since he's feeling much better I'm hoping he won't mind waiting till Monday.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He's adorable. So glad he is feeling better. Sending positive energy.:hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
His beak looks fine. Maybe the explanation was that he did go into shock, but that doesn’t explain his eye and not being able to his foot properly. It is great that he is back to his old self though, I hope he continues to show improvement. :) :hug8:

Set

Walking the driveway
This whole thing has me really confused. Hopefully the vet will be able to give him a good look over and let us know what happened.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It does sound like a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). It is a stroke that is usually caused by a clot or some substance blocking an artery temporarily. Make sure you get him to the vet. Oh, I know at least two cockatiels who put their upper beak inside their lower beak just to do it. One of them actually sleeps like that.

Good luck with the vet.

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Could it possibly have been a seizure? I've had 2 lovebirds who had seizures. One of them developed seizures during her final 2 years of life. She would be really out of it for a while after an episode. Once I actually thought she had died. I came in & found her on the bottom of the cage & she sure looked dead. I held her & stroked her, grieving over her. Then after about 10 minutes I saw her beak move ever so slightly. I continued to hold her & after about a half hour she began moving a bit. After a couple of hours she could stand but was very disoriented & wasn't herself till the next day. She lived another 9 months but continued having increasingly frequent seizures. It will be 2 years in July that she finally left me for real. I still miss her :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.