• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set

Walking the driveway
I just went to put Caddy away for the night and Henry was in his cage with his beak open. I thought at first he was panting, but his top beak was inside his bottom beak.

So I freaked out and called mum, and she came and looked at him. His beak isn't like that anymore, but he still doesn't seem right. His beak isn't broken; the tip where it was stuck is still intact. But mum says his right eye seems off, and his right foot isn't working too great, and he's just really dopey.

We don't have vet money until Wednesday at the earliest. If it is a stroke, can anything be done? Could it be something else?

He's at least fifteen, probably closer to twenty :( I really hope it's not his age catching up with him.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Well it could be a small stroke- somebody with a lot more knowledge should be on soon. Twenty is an older tiel. Hope Henry is ok.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
He should be kept in a really warm place (85F at minimum), provide no perches so he cannot fall off them, provide food and water and watch him closely. If it is a stroke, it may be just a TIA (transient ischemic attack) and may reverse itself and he may go back to normal. Of course, getting him to a vet is paramount. Can you ask your vet to postpone payment until you have your money? If it is not a stroke, then finding out the cause of the problem and treating it may be the difference between life and death for your bird.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please take Henry to the vet as soon as possible to determine what is wrong. In the mean time to keep him comfortable, I would take his perches down and put food and water in the bottom and cover the bottom with thick blankets or sheets and build a perimeter of rolled towels to support the right side of his body so he doesn't roll over. If you have stuffed teddy bears that would work too. If you have an aquarium that would be best and keep his area warm between 85 and 90 degrees. Try to message his foot in warm water which might help also.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He should be kept in a really warm place (85F at minimum), provide no perches so he cannot fall off them, provide food and water and watch him closely. If it is a stroke, it may be just a TIA (transient ischemic attack) and may reverse itself and he may go back to normal. Of course, getting him to a vet is paramount. Can you ask your vet to postpone payment until you have your money? If it is not a stroke, then finding out the cause of the problem and treating it may be the difference between life and death for your bird.
I totally agree. It's paramount he gets to the vet ASAP. Time is of the essence.

These are also the kind of symptoms seen in head trauma cases.

Set

Walking the driveway
The vets here don't do payment plans. We've asked about it before, and they'll only do it with customers that come in often. We've ony been to the avian vet once, so we aren't trusted with them.
I'll set up one of the spare cages for tonight and make sure it's warm and cozy for him. I'm really not sure what to do. I may get mum to get a pay day loan tomorrow so he can go into the vet. I don't even know if they're open tomorrow but hopefully they are. If all else fails I'll borrow money off my brother.

Set

Walking the driveway
Sorry for posting again, but is it possible for him to get too warm?
We do have a fish tank, but I worry because it's fairy warm in my room and I don't want to overheat him.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, hope Henry is doing better. It is very hard to make recommendations on what to do for Henry. How is he doing now? Do you have access to oxygen? Kayro syrup? Childrens pink Motrin? Plain aspirin? I don't want you to use any of this at the moment until you tell us more about what is going on. Tell us exactly how Henry is doing, eyes, balance, breathing. Right now follow the advice of keeping the bird warm and in a quiet place, low perches, etc, per the above posts.

The only information I can give you is what I would do for one of mine.

Gary

Set

Walking the driveway
He seems more alert now. He's moving around and was just nibbling on my desk (I have him on my knee) and he's been stretching his wings. I'm worried about his breathing, because he seems to be wheezing a bit and was open-mouth breathing and bobbing his. Now he's still wheezing, but no more bobbing tail and no more open mouth.
His balance still seems off, though. He's a bit wobbly and using his beak more than normal to grab onto things for balance.

Also, I don't have access to any of those things. All we have is tylenol.

...he can fly still. Now he's sitting on my head.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How warm is your room? When it is warm, hydration is the main concern, be sure he gets water and stays upright.

Set

Walking the driveway
It's about 30C/86F.
And thank you everyone for your advice and concern.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
He sound like he is doing better. I would keep him calm and make sure he is hydrated, check to make sure he has cool fresh water. Since he is coming around and feeling better I would call the avian vet in the morning, tell him exactly what has happened. Make sure the vet is aware of the birds age and also explain finances are low right now, a good vet will give you lots of information and options.

No Tylenol

Gary

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Prayers that he will continue to improve.....keep us updated. :hug8:

Last edited:

Set

Walking the driveway
Thanks guys :heart:
I'm going to set him up for bed and see how he is in the morning. I'll check on him through the night as well.
He's preening now and is even biting me again.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
His normal self is good.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
best wishes..also you can buy asa cheap anywhere (aspirin)...the thought also occurred to me that you said it was fairly warm in your place..I take it you do not have A/C so this could be part of the problem...while they do need to be warm while they are ill, maybe they are getting overheated...

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:hug8: Poor little guy! I hope he is much better this morning.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Henry feeling today?

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Keeping positive thoughts for Henry.:hug8:
Are his nares clear?
My cockatiel lived past the age of 28, so I hope Henry has many more years of life left in him.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates? Praying that he is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.