• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stressed out Senegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Doing some work on the computer this afternoon, when I become aware that I'm hearing shrieking from outside my room. I open the door to find my mother-in-law chasing Monkeybird around with AN OVEN MITT!

Apparently, she opened Monkeybird's cage to change his water, and Monkeybird climbed out the door. Next thing you know she's chasing a panicked Senegal all over the house. He's shrieking at the top of his lungs, and she's trying to grab him with an oven mitt on one hand.

I had to tell her 3 times I'd take care of it before she would get out of the way. I grabbed the long perch I use to move them when one of the birds is feeling aggressive. I sat down on the floor, corralled Monkey in the corner and waited. Eventually, he stopped shrieking and calmed down. I stuck out the perch, let Monkey step up on it. I moved him back to his cage and used his cover to block his view of the room so he could recover.

Jbsmomto1

Strolling the yard
oh my, poor bird. Is your bird vicious is that why she felt she needed an oven mitt?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Awwww, poor Monkeybird. He must have been so scared.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Is your bird vicious is that why she felt she needed an oven mitt?
Monkey does bite on occasion, but what bird doesn't? Especially when they're scared.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
oh my, poor bird. Is your bird vicious is that why she felt she needed an oven mitt?
She needed an oven mitt because she did not have a clue what she was doing. :(

Glad you stepped in and put a stop to that.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
She drives me nuts sometimes. She is a self-professed expert on taking care of animals. Some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth is just amazing.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
She drives me nuts sometimes. She is a self-professed expert on taking care of animals. Some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth is just amazing.
When it falls out of her mouth does it make a big mess on the floor and smell funny??? :hehe::hehe::lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist) :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Can you not step Monkeybird up?

I'm sure he would have after all that panic and fright.

The poor little guy :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

This is when I would step on my soap box and no one in my family cant hear a thing but my voice:cool1: and until they finally say to me several times "Ok I get it" or 'Ok I understand now" or something of the lines.. I stay on my soap box, and Bokka is with me, and he yaps away as I talk.:cool1:

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
That's a really bad thing to do to a poicephalus with their tendency towards phobic attacks. She could have made him scared of all women, or all humans. You are NEVER supposed to chase them.

Thank goodness you were there. You handled it perfectly.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
maybe its time to put locks that only you have the keys to on the door
and i know what you mean... on a 75 degree day no wind chill my dad was yelling at me because i made the decision to take the birds out for some sun... it wasn't even windy and we weren't out there but half an hour

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
He was pretty much back to normal by the time my wife got home (she's "his person"). She handled him without any problems.

maybe its time to put locks that only you have the keys to on the door
Believe me, I have thought about it. If only because of her tendency to feed them prodigious amounts of food from sun up until bedtime. If we let her feed them as much as she wants, they'd be little butterballs.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
bless Monkey's heart, what a stressful morning! glad you were there

:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.