• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

??? Stress marks??

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw these spots on Pestaa's wing. Do you think these are due to some nutritional problem? In photos, color seems lighter, but actually they are dark, nearly black in color.

Attachments

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm not an expert about this, but I'm pretty sure stress marks which are due to nutrition issues will be evident on new feather growth.
Discolouration on older feathers can be explained by wear, abrasion, oils from human hands, etc.
Since Pestaa is relatively new to you, if they are stress marks, they're from the past owner.
Either way, that's how they are until the next molt, but you'll probably see an improvement after.

@Mizzely may know more about this too.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there black marking normally, in hahns macaw feathers? I can see more black spots on deeper wing feathers.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry, I can’t tell much from your pics.

This is a closer pic of some stress bars which are very often seen on babies, they are sometimes due to temperature changes which is what Burt’s were most likely caused from as there had been excessive power outages in the area while he was developing. They basically happen as nutrition is diverted away from the growing feather to other necessary body functions such as keeping warm.
They occur as feathers develop and cause blackened weaker lines across the feathers and are usually a very distinct line with an obvious change in colour and texture IMG_9047.png

If I can find some decent pics of bronzing a bit later on I’ll post them unless someone else finds a good example for you.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmm... Something like that i noticed in Pestaa. I think nutritional deficiencies. I'm trying to improve his diet, but you know how stubborn they can be! They'll rather die than eating pellets.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry, I can’t tell much from your pics.

This is a closer pic of some stress bars which are very often seen on babies, they are sometimes due to temperature changes which is what Burt’s were most likely caused from as there had been excessive power outages in the area while he was developing. They basically happen as nutrition is diverted away from the growing feather to other necessary body functions such as keeping warm.
They occur as feathers develop and cause blackened weaker lines across the feathers and are usually a very distinct line with an obvious change in colour and texture View attachment 429486

If I can find some decent pics of bronzing a bit later on I’ll post them unless someone else finds a good example for you.
Baby Burt is sooo cute :heart: :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hahns don't naturally have black like that, no :)

Feathers that grow in like that are stress marks. Can be nutritional deficiency, but also can be from anything that caused the body to temporarily take nutrients away from growing a feather. An illness, high stress situation, etc.

Feathers that turn black after growing in are from bronzing. Green in a lot of species is created by little ridges in the feathers that cause light to reflect as green. When the feathers are worn, the illusion is interrupted.

Regardless, a few black feathers from either reason wouldn't immediately concern me. If your bird starts getting more black, then you obviously want to be sure you know if it's on new feathers or not so you can better understand if it's time to worry.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hahns don't naturally have black like that, no :)

Feathers that grow in like that are stress marks. Can be nutritional deficiency, but also can be from anything that caused the body to temporarily take nutrients away from growing a feather. An illness, high stress situation, etc.

Feathers that turn black after growing in are from bronzing. Green in a lot of species is created by little ridges in the feathers that cause light to reflect as green. When the feathers are worn, the illusion is interrupted.

Regardless, a few black feathers from either reason wouldn't immediately concern me. If your bird starts getting more black, then you obviously want to be sure you know if it's on new feathers or not so you can better understand if it's time to worry.
Thanks @Mizzely , I'll keep a close watch.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That looks more like bronzing to me than stress marks as they are not straight lines across a single feather, but instead have an oblong appearance to them.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks more like bronzing to me than stress marks as they are not straight lines across a single feather, but instead have an oblong appearance to them.
What is it's significance? What should I do?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Bronzing is from consistent wear to certain spots. Think of it as rubbing the color off. It happens with young birds that roll on their backs, active birds that rub a spot often and so on. It can often be a sign that the bird is really due for a molt but it can also happen in highly active birds. A few small spots will not tell you much but watch what continues from here.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much. I also read few old threads. Maybe he has caused this by excessive preening. I'll keep a close watch

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes bronzing can be caused by rubbing up against something in the cage, or not having enough room to turn around and they are always bumping into something. Is there something he sleeps up against that might be rubbing that same spot frequently?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes bronzing can be caused by rubbing up against something in the cage, or not having enough room to turn around and they are always bumping into something. Is there something he sleeps up against that might be rubbing that same spot frequently?
No, but i think over preens his feathers. He has already chewed up his tail feathers.
I found this today. It's a normally shed feather. But is the color ok for a hahns?
@Mizzely ?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No, but i think over preens his feathers. He has already chewed up his tail feathers.
I found this today. It's a normally shed feather. But is the color ok for a hahns?
@Mizzely ?
It looks fine :)